Windows 10: Browser Query re installing Windows 10

Discus and support Browser Query re installing Windows 10 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have been nervous about installing Windows 10 on my desktop computer but feel it would probably be better to take the plunge before July. At the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by vivienne, Apr 23, 2016.

1. vivienne Win User

Browser Query re installing Windows 10

I have been nervous about installing Windows 10 on my desktop computer but feel it would probably be better to take the plunge before July. At the moment I use Internet Explorer for an email address I use to register for websites and Firefox for my general emails and Chrome for Hangouts which I use for my family. Also Thunderbird for my talk talk email address which I don't use as much as the others. I also have folders set up in the browsers for emails I want to save. What will happen to my browsers if I update to Windows 10? I know it has Windows Edge now as a browser but I am comfortable with the ones I use now and am worried if I update to Windows 10 it will delete my current browsers and I will lose emails I have saved in various folders. I would appreciate any advice.

:)

vivienne, Apr 23, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Apr 23, 2016
  3. Query about re-installing Windows 10 after rollback in future

Hello Richiedel,

We understand your concern in this regard.

The free upgrade is a full version of Windows (not a trial or introductory version) and is available until July 29, 2016. Once you upgrade, you’ll have Windows 10 for free on that device. I mean to say, you can only avail this offer before
    July 29, 2016.

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer before July 29, 2016, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device in future. You won’t need a product key for re-activations
    on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation.

To simplify this more, once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer
    before July 29, 2016, you can roll back to previous build and can upgrade to windows 10 in future without need of product key.

Hope this will address your query.

Thank you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Apr 23, 2016
  4. Mooly Win User

Hmmm. Advice would be to make a system image before you do anything. Macrium Reflect is free and well regarded. Make an image of your complete system such that the whole drive is imaged and save the backup on a separate plug in USB drive. Make sure you understand how to recover the image if needed. Macrium bootable media that you create yourself would allow recovery even with no operating system present.

Also, as double insurance, simply copy your user files and folders to a flash drive. So the folders you mention containing emails you simply right click and send to a suitable flash drive. You can never have to many backups and you need a fall back plan.

From that point you can try an upgrade install of W10 but be aware that upgrade installs can be problematic for some. A clean install is far far better (but remember you lose everything and start from a clean slate). If it goes wrong, a disk image lets you put everything back as it was. From that point you could then try the clean install if you wished.

And with a disk image program that you are comfortable using, you can always go back as if nothing happened.

So that would be my advice.

1/ Disk image. Make sure you are happy using the program and confident to restore the image.
    2/ Copy user files to flash drive (docs, piccys, music, email etc)

Then try the upgrade.

Mooly, Apr 23, 2016
  5. vivienne Win User
    Oh dear - even more nervous! I have never made a disk image but sounds like it could be useful to do anyway even if I don't upgrade. I don't want to have to start from scratch again, I had a problem with my computer last year and had to do that. I do copy files to Dropbox, but haven't done email - I will have to see if I can do that. May decide to stay as I am until Microsoft stops updates for Windows 7 and then pay for Windows 10 or may be Windows 11 by then! Does anyone know when that would be likely to be?

vivienne, Apr 23, 2016
  6. Mooly Win User
    I think January 2020 for W7 running service pack 1 is end of extended support.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

A disk imaging program (W10 actually includes one) is imo the single most important program you can have. Used properly and it makes you immune from any disasters and you are free to try things out at will knowing that you can revert back.

Mooly, Apr 23, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, upgrading to Win 10 should keep all the programs you mention. A very few programs are removed for compatibility reasons, but
    a. You probably haven't got these
    b. They are easily replaced afterwards.

Note that built in to the upgrade process is the ability to go back to where you were within 30 days.

When you upgrade, I would recommend you download the iso, and use that, rather than letting Windows 10 download and do the upgrade. Why? Because you need a bootable Win 10 medium (DVD, flash drive)
    a. if you need to repair Win 10 using one useful method,
    b. if you decide to clean install
    c. if you need to redo the upgrade
    d. you can do certain helpful things by booting from it

So save yourself the download time. Do it once.

The biggest risk is probably related to drivers and hardware compatibility, where things don't work out smoothly.
    A further risk is that the upgrade fails.
    My first attempt did, because of one program I had installed. My PC was unbootable.

What saved me? The disk image I had updated before I upgraded.
    As Mooly says, disk imaging can save your PC, your data and I'll add your sanity.
    3rd party disk imaging (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage) has been found by people here to be more reliable than Backup and Restore in Win 10.

A few people found their desktop content disappeared during the upgrade. It can be recovered from your disk image.

Win 10 is a bit of a learning curve, but you can essentially use it as a desktop in the way you've been used to, and ignore all the universal apps and Cortana if you wish.

dalchina, Apr 23, 2016
  8. vivienne Win User

Thanks everyone for advice given. I have decided that as I will be the wrong side of my seventies by the time extended support ends in four years, I will be better ticking over with Windows 7 as I am comfortable using it. Maybe I won't be around by then or 'doolally' and not even able to use a computer! I have a tablet so can download any Apps that I want. A friend updated to Windows 10 recently and is having problems.

Another reason is that I use a very old programme called HotMetal to do websites voluntarily for associations I belong to and as I am very much an amateur I just type in it and it changes it to HTML. Fortunately it has been compatible each time I have updated the operating system but maybe this time it wouldn't be and I don't feel like finding another one and trying to get used to it.

vivienne, Apr 24, 2016
  9. Mooly Win User
    If what you have is working OK then sticking with it is a good option. Four years is a long time in computer terms, and it sounds like you are already a pro with your website work *Smile

And for what its worth, I tried the upgrade route and even clean installing W10 on a fairly new laptop and had major issues (it was unusable). What did work was a totally clean install which meant taking the drive down to unallocated space, in other words removing everything and undoing the formatting of the partitions and then letting W10 clean install. That worked beautifully and I'm impressed with W10 but had I been an average user I would have been stuck.

Mooly, Apr 24, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Wise decision I think!

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Browser Query re installing Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Browser Query installing

2. Query for windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Support
    Query for windows 10 installation: Dear friends, I am looking for help if anybody can understand what realy the issue is, I want to reinstall windows 10 along side of my ubuntu, earlier it had no problems, I could install it back side by side, but due to a stupid adware accidentally clicked on while doing...
  3. A quick query re updatin6 to Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A quick query re updatin6 to Windows 10 2004: Windows 10 Pro - Windows Version Number: 1909 (OS Build 18363.836) A pretty new user of Windows 10 and I've held back on updating to version 2004 for the moment by deferring Feature Updates for a few weeks in WIndows Update / Advanced Options. I now get this message in...
  4. Query RE Putting PC to Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Query RE Putting PC to Sleep: I'm not sure which group to put this in but here's my query: I'm not sure when this started happening, but I'm sure it's after 1903 feature update. I can't be sure if it happened prior to July patch. I put my PC to sleep at night. When I hit the sleep button, the screen...
  5. Query re top sites inEdge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Query re top sites inEdge: I just started trying out Edge and in all it is fast and I quite like it I have just go used to customising the start up new tab and have added top sites to the page but what I am wondering is can more than eight top sites be added?? Plus I am also thinking this would be...
  6. Query on Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Query on Edge Browser: I have been using Chrome and Firefox and out of interest I have trialled Edge. Now it seems to be a lot faster to come on line and I would like to know what everyone else thinks of this browser. The only thing I cannot find yet is how to import bookmarks from the other...
  7. Query re activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Query re activation: I have installed for the second time the preview and ran updates but the build remains as 10070 or something like that - anyone know what the dickens is going on because my desktop updated to the 102** build and self activated. The other thing is I am now being asked for...
  8. query re- my defrag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    query re- my defrag: When I open my defrag I see these options. What exactly are the top two and what do they do? They are both pretty large file sizes. [img] 16789
  9. A query re slowness on board

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A query re slowness on board: The Ivy Bridge dropped it's bundle last night and my son let me have his older AMD build as he doesn't use it much. Now I find it rather odd that the Sandy Bridge which I am on right now having a Gigabyte GA-H67-UD3H-B3 has driver support for Windows 10 yet my sons build...
  10. Query what build and browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Query what build and browser: I have one of my desktops loaded with 10 build 10130 and I am wondering how I can get it upgraded with the latest build. I want to do this fairly quickly as I don't get much time at home these days and I also want to get my old Toshiba laptop loaded too. I have had a look...