Windows 10: Browsing ONLY (not mail) stops working about half hour after reboot

Discus and support Browsing ONLY (not mail) stops working about half hour after reboot in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This is about a laptop running Windows 10 that my wife uses only on trips. So this morning, I turned it on and Windows installed the 1703 update. Then... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by x509, Dec 4, 2017.

1. x509 Win User

Browsing ONLY (not mail) stops working about half hour after reboot

This is about a laptop running Windows 10 that my wife uses only on trips. So this morning, I turned it on and Windows installed the 1703 update. Then I got some weird message about Norton firewall "expired" and so Windows Defender firewall was turned on.

I updated Norton Internet Security (from Comcast) and verified that Norton is controlling the firewall, not Windows Defender.
    However .... my wife is now saying that browsing doesn't work, not on Firefox, not on Edge. Everything else works, pings, email, etc. If the system is rebooted, then browsing works fine, until it doesn't. Email test messages go through just fine.

I've gone over the Norton Firewall settings, looking at all the traffic rules, and it all looks fine. I haven't changed/deleted/added any rules. So at this point, I don't know what to do next. *Banghead Makes me look bad in front of my wife. *Sad

:)

x509, Dec 4, 2017

2. Outlook Mail Stuck On Syncing

After spending about 2 hours doing the upgrade initially...immediately followed by another half hour update, I'm not too inclined to do that. This needs a MS fix...there's definitely something wrong with the Outlook Mail App in Windows 10. Btw, the battery
    drain was clearly due to the mail synching issue...so at least the workaround stops that part of the problem!!

johnhart061, Dec 4, 2017
  3. LML2017 Win User
    Latest Update -Installation Time- Windows 10

Thanks for reply, but went too late. After another half hour I decided just to reboot the computer. 2 1/2 hours is way too long. Apparently went the installation process cause they restart, it got stuck in a loop. When I rebooted successfully the updates
    continued. It was at about 34 35% at that time. When I don't like it said I had no opportunity to stop the process when it started. Not the thing I need in the middle of my work day.

LML2017, Dec 4, 2017
  4. Browsing ONLY (not mail) stops working about half hour after reboot

Have you tried as a test, uninstalling Norton completely and testing? Check their web site for a total removal tool. Reboot after removal and test.

I'm a Norton users but over the years I've seen some strange things.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 4, 2017
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    What does that mean? The browser doesn't start up? No access to the internet? Bookmarks don't bring up webpages?

Similarly, "stops working" is too vague. Is it a crash? A freeze?

Finally, is the problem replicable? Or was it a one-time occurrence?

pyramid10, Dec 4, 2017
  6. x509 Win User
    • First, this problem is entirely replicable.
    • Second, the issue at hand is that the browser (Firefox or Edge) can no long access websites. This access loss seems to occur between 10 and 30 minutes after the first browser access to websites, in my limited testing. Firefox even throws up a message about firewall issues.
    • Third, even after both browsers lose internet access, email flows properly in both directions from the affected system.
    • Fourth, the browsers themselves do not freeze up or crash.

x509, Dec 4, 2017
  7. Did you try completely removing Norton using their tool?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 4, 2017
  8. OldMike65 Win User

If you don't want to completely remove Norton, you also could try disabling Norton for 15 mins. Right click on Norton's icon and it gives you a choice. Also could try reinstalling Firefox.

OldMike65, Dec 4, 2017
  9. x509 Win User
    So I did uninstall Norton completely, now running Windows Defender, and my wife has been doing more testing.

Browsing to a web page from either Firefox or Edge doesn't work after an initial period of time.

But, but, but. If she clicks on a link in an email, then the browser does display that page.

After that, she tried to access Google and Apple from FireFox. First time, each access failed. Second time, each access did work.

So who am i going to call? Norton? Microsoft?

Weird thing is, I also have a Lenovo laptop with the identical Windows 10, Norton, Firefox, etc., configuration. And I'm having none of these issues.

x509, Dec 5, 2017
  10. Well if you used the Norton removal tool I think they are cleared in the who dun it.

If your wife does not have a lot of special communication software, which in reading your posts, she does not have, I would run the Network Reset .

Start => Settings => Network & internet => Scroll to bottom of right hand side =>Network Reset

This will cause your system to “Forget” your wireless passwords and you may have to reset any VPN or customized communication software if you use.

Caledon Ken, Dec 5, 2017
  11. x509 Win User
    Did not work. *Devil *Eek *Eek *Mad In fact, the browser failed immediately to connect to a website.

I'm calling up Microsoft as soon as I finish this post.

12. Sorry, so after resetting and rebooting your browser couldn't connect at all? Did your mail connect?

Caledon Ken, Dec 5, 2017
  13. x509 Win User

Yes, but now it's intermittent. I have never seen anything like this before. I know that something is blocking port 80, port 8080, and probably a few other ports, but where is that $#@@(*&||@* setting?

So last night I went to the MS support web site to set up an appointment for a support call, and the first scheduled time for a call back was Thursday at 6.30 pm, almost 48 hours later. I wonder if they are being overwhelmed with FCU issues. My wife's system was upgraded to FCU during this whole process, and the upgrade didn't affect the issue at hand.

Still, everyone here is on the side of the good guys. That's why I love this forum.*Smile

14. I think all the vendors are overwhelmed. Apple is taking on the chin with there iOS and OSX.

You are not using a Proxy server are you.

Start > Settings > Network and internet > Status > right side Network and sharing > lower left corner Internet Options > Connections Tab > Lan Settings

My usually next steps are these four commands. Understand if you want to wait for MS.

Run the following four bolded commands. Use a Command Prompt(admin) or Powershell(admin)
    Do not key in info in brackets, there for your information.

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refresh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 5, 2017
  15. x509 Win User
    Ken,

Thanks. I've spent way too much time on this issue, because I've done a lot of diagnostics beyond what i've described here The worst part: after I did the network reset, the mail client (Outlook) on my wife's system is apparently deleting some messages. Messages that had been on my wife's phone have now disappeared. That's a new one.

And I'm a bit pissed at MS right now, because this problem seems to be some sort of very selective memory leak. I just don't want to have to do a complete re-install. We're not at home now, and I don't have all the install media (on HDD) with me. Plus, I have better things to do when I'm traveling.

Thema:

1. Browsing ONLY (not mail) stops working about half hour after reboot - Similar Threads - Browsing mail stops

2. My keyboard works fine for about half an hour when after I boot it up, and then goes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard works fine for about half an hour when after I boot it up, and then goes...: When it does go haywire, it makes a short boop sound and doesn't let me type anything until I mash all of the keys and only lets me type these letters: éáúóé and it's getting to the point where I don't use it anymore, and I have tried checking for a virus : nothing. Tried...
  3. My keyboard works fine for about half an hour when after I boot it up, and then goes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard works fine for about half an hour when after I boot it up, and then goes...: When it does go haywire, it makes a short boop sound and doesn't let me type anything until I mash all of the keys and only lets me type these letters: éáúóé and it's getting to the point where I don't use it anymore, and I have tried checking for a virus : nothing. Tried...
  4. Why only half-hour device limits?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why only half-hour device limits?: Have used Microsoft Saftey Device Limits for many years, and wonder if there are plans to increase the number of selectable time units? I usually make sure the kids' computer is turned off 15 minutes before they go to school, and full- and half-hours are rarely enough....
  5. Why only half-hour device limits?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why only half-hour device limits?: Have used Microsoft Saftey Device Limits for many years, and wonder if there are plans to increase the number of selectable time units? I usually make sure the kids' computer is turned off 15 minutes before they go to school, and full- and half-hours are rarely enough....
  6. Windows 10, Lose ability to browse after about an hour

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10, Lose ability to browse after about an hour: Good Morning - Since the last windows update, I loose the ability to browse the internet after around an hour of up time. It returns with a reboot.Please read before responding - I'm way past all the easy solutions like "reboot" or "flush DNS"Problem is NOT the router. All...
  7. Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it.: I have a Win 10 desktop system that has basically been working fine for years. In recent weeks, about once a day, the computer will beep three times and then the keyboard will stop working, while I've been happily working with the computer for a few hours. The num lock...
  8. PC freezes about half-hour after startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC freezes about half-hour after startup: Good afternoon. Yesterday my windows 10 pc start freezing after I play on it half hour. I was playing an offline game and that happened. It also happens when I was browsing on the internet. I don't install anything in the last weeks so I don't know what may be causing...
  9. {Resolved} New downloads disappear after about a half hour post-download

{Resolved} New downloads disappear after about a half hour post-download: I've been trying to download a large about 4.6 Gigabyte ZIP file. I was able to find it in the downloads folder when it was done, but after at least 30 minutes, the file goes missing and I have to re-download it. I can make a copy within that time and the copy is unaffected....
  10. New downloads disappear after about a half hour post-download

New downloads disappear after about a half hour post-download: I've been trying to download a large about 4.6 Gigabyte ZIP file. I was able to find it in the downloads folder when it was done, but after at least 30 minutes, the file goes missing and I have to re-download it. I can make a copy within that time and the copy is unaffected....