Windows 10: BSOD after automatic repair loop or USB boot

Discus and support BSOD after automatic repair loop or USB boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a pretty resistant BSOD problem. It started after the tablet (Dell Latitude 5175, running Windows 10 with auto updates) froze... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RGalum, Jan 26, 2018.

1. RGalum Win User

BSOD after automatic repair loop or USB boot

Hi all,

I have a pretty resistant BSOD problem.

It started after the tablet (Dell Latitude 5175, running Windows 10 with auto updates) froze while hooked to a TV via microHDMI. I got a blue screen, with Windows collecting information - can't remember much more, as I was not particularly worried at the time.

Problem is when the tablet rebooted, it showed after boot "Preparing Automatic Repair" (with a loading wheel) and then the screen went black (still active, but entirely black). It stayed stuck there for several hours, until I decided to do a hard reboot. It's been doing the exact same thing since then.

I have tried to access safe mode, but several hard reboots did not trigger Advanced Startup Mode. I then used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Win 10 on a USB drive (using another laptop at hand). I tested the drive on the laptop - it boots perfectly well (once fastboot is disabled).

On the tablet, I disabled fastboot (or, in the Dell BIOS, I set it to "thourough"), and tried to either allow (or not) Legacy boots and disable (or not) secure boot. I have also tried to force boot, in UEFI and Legacy, from the USB (you can choose from the menu before accessing the BIOS).

It appears that the tablet boots from USB without issues - the "Preparing Automatic Repair" message disappears. However, that means I just go straight to the active, black screen. And it stays there for hours doing nothing that I can see.

I have ran the Dell hardware diagnostic tools, and all of them come back with a pass which would seem to indicate no clear hardware issue.

At this point, I am not quite sure what to try next and would appreciate any advice I can get!

Note: I have read the instructions for posting... but I can't run the log-collector on the affected device (unless it can be used on boot!). Happy to provide any other information though.

Thanks in advance!!

:)

RGalum, Jan 26, 2018
  2. nxjl18 Win User

BSOD Loop on boot

Hello,

Earlier today my computer crashed into a BSOD and ever since then it is stuck on a BSOD loop when trying to boot into windows.

Things I have tried so far:

-Booting from a USB Windows (Loads the windows logo then BSOD)

-Letting it do automatic repair (BSOD)

-Letting it do disk check (BSOD)

-Running it with different RAM sticks (BSOD)

-Running it without the 1060 (BSOD)

-Clearing BIOS settings (BSOD)

I am at a loss. Any help appreciated.

System

-Intel i5 6600k

-Nvidia 1060

-16gb ram

-gigabyte z170x

nxjl18, Jan 26, 2018
  3. Windows 10 is not loadind up

When I started my computer the os is not booting... Soon it restarts again and again like a loop... After that it boots and shows automatic repair and it is also not opening... I created usb installation media to repair the files and it is also not booting..
    Pls help

Goutham_237, Jan 26, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

If you are booting from a W10 installation USB drive it should not go to an black screen but should go to a setup installation screen. I suspect that it did not boot into the USB drive because you would not see a Preparing Automatic Repair message if it was booting from installation media. You need to continue to find the combination of BIOS settings to allow booting from a USB drive. You could create a UEFI bootable USB using the instructions in option 2 of the following tutorial and see if you have more success:
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

philc43, Jan 28, 2018
  5. RGalum Win User
    Sorry if I was not clear - it goes only to a black screen with the UEFI bootable USB.

In short, 2 outcomes:
    - No USB device: Dell logo, then "Preparing automatic repair" loading, then black screen.
    - UEFI bootable USB: Dell logo, then straight to black screen.

RGalum, Jan 28, 2018
  6. philc43 Win User
    Try creating a new USB drive with a memory test program and see if you can get this to run. Follow the details here: MemTest86+ - Test RAM

philc43, Jan 28, 2018
  7. RGalum Win User
    Sorry - it took over 12 hours to run!

I have run the test, and after 8 passes, no error reported.

RGalum, Jan 31, 2018
  8. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Feb 1, 2018
  9. RGalum Win User
    I created the bootable USB, and it works - it eventually loads the Win10RE SE. It took about 2 hours to load the first time, but is much faster upon reboot.

Only problem is that I can't use this to fix the Windows Boot with Macrium - because it has the unintended consequence of making my SSD disappear (and this SSD is the only drive on the tablet).
    I checked in the BIOS - the SSD is just not seen anymore. But resetting the BIOS to default settings makes the SSD magically reappear! (and disappear again when booting from the USB - which again takes 2 hours!).

I can't even figure out whether this is software or hardware issue at this point!

RGalum, Feb 2, 2018
  10. philc43 Win User
    This behaviour suggests that you are switching between UEFI and Legacy boot. The disk shows up in one but not the other. Make sure your USB is working in the same boot mode as your laptop so that it fixes the boot files correctly.

philc43, Feb 3, 2018
  11. RGalum Win User
    It does the same thing in UEFI, and again, not possible to fix the boot because the windows install is not found.

RGalum, Feb 4, 2018
  12. philc43 Win User
    There seems to be a hardware problem, I can't understand why the USB recovery disk takes 2h to load and next time is faster.

Can you try running the log file collector when booted from the recovery USB. It might tell us something. Use the new beta v8 one.

philc43, Feb 4, 2018
  13. RGalum Win User

Just wanted to give a quick update about this - which I have now solved.

It turns out that the SSD was stuck in hibernate, which made it impossible to access and fix. I realized this by booting in a USB-based version of Ubuntu: the SSD was visible, but not accessible.

I then used the Dell BIOS to wipe the disk, and was able to then use the Media Creation Tool USB installer to:
    (1) go to command prompt and reformat the disk using Diskpart
    (2) install Windows 10 on the formatted SSD

It now works perfectly well. I'm still unsure how exactly the disk ended up being stuck in that mode though!

Thanks for the help!

RGalum, Feb 13, 2018
  14. philc43 Win User
    Thanks for the feedback - I've never come across this before.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD after automatic repair loop or USB boot - Similar Threads - BSOD automatic repair

2. BSOD and Automatic Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD and Automatic Repair Loop: So I have actually already posted this issue in part, but its really become a whole different issue now. Originally I was trying to fix a BSOD caused by CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION, with this being the error in the Event Viewer:<Event...
  3. BSOD and Automatic Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD and Automatic Repair Loop: So I have actually already posted this issue in part, but its really become a whole different issue now. Originally I was trying to fix a BSOD caused by CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION, with this being the error in the Event Viewer:<Event...
  4. Automatic Repair Boot Loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Repair Boot Loop: Hi there!I am experiencing essentially the same things that took place in this thread. I have so far tried doing the same things but am currently stuck being unable to boot from Windows 10 Installation Media via USB. I have tried multiple different USB sticks, creating the...
  5. Automatic Repair Boot Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Repair Boot Loop: Hi there!I am experiencing essentially the same things that took place in this thread. I have so far tried doing the same things but am currently stuck being unable to boot from Windows 10 Installation Media via USB. I have tried multiple different USB sticks, creating the...
  6. Automatic Repair Boot Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Boot Loop and Automatic Repair Loop

Boot Loop and Automatic Repair Loop: i turned on my PC and it has the boot startup and the circle just keeps spinning so I kept restarting my pc then automatic repair showed up and did the same thing ive tried F8 but that doesn't work...
  8. Automatic Repair Boot Loop.

Automatic Repair Boot Loop.: I really don't want to reset my laptop fully and i will only do such a thing as a last resort, anyways this issue has been with me for a few months now and I really want to fix my laptop once and (maybe not) for all, so please i need a lot of help till this is fixed, i...
  9. Automatic Boot repair loop

Automatic Boot repair loop: My laptop lenovo 315 ideapad is hung up in an Automatic Repair loop showing message for logFiles inside srtTrail.txt, possibly the reason is that I pressed the power button twice when booting. I have attempted all the solution options in below mentioned links - 1....
  10. BSOD with Automatic Repair Loops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD with Automatic Repair Loops: I'm guessing an update came thru at the end of last week? Since Thursday I have been unable to get my workstation with Windows 10 back up and running. I've checked tons of forums and watched lots of videos but to no avail. Please help! I even went to RESET THIS PC - keep...