Windows 10: BSOD after installing new HDD.. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE upon wake

Discus and support BSOD after installing new HDD.. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE upon wake in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently swapped out an old 300gb HDD for a new WD Black 5tb drive. I'm running a 1000w PSU and currently have windows loaded on a 256gb Samsung 850... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by nikko, Dec 28, 2016.

1. nikko Win User

BSOD after installing new HDD.. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE upon wake

I recently swapped out an old 300gb HDD for a new WD Black 5tb drive. I'm running a 1000w PSU and currently have windows loaded on a 256gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD and have 4 other HDD's connected (500gb, 1tb, 2tb, and new 5tb). Everything is working fine after a fresh start / restart, but if I put the computer to sleep it will crash upon wake. It will wake up and I can perform some tasks in windows, but it will crash soon after. After wake, none of the hard drives will read, and I can initiate the BSOD if I try to open one in windows explorer. This began happening after I installed the new 5tb WD Black.

I have updated all drivers, turned off link state power management, uninstalled NVIDIA drivers and programs & reinstalled current display drivers, performed sfc / DISM scan, scanned for malware, etc but cannot find a solution.

Thank you for any and all help!

:)

nikko, Dec 28, 2016

2. Memory management error causing sleep issues in windows 10.

Problem was caused in my case by using the HDD (D: drive) to store all new content.

Windows was installed on a SSD (CBSOD after installing new HDD.. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE upon wake :) and I suspect that when booting the HDD is not yet available. The first BSOD is STORE ERROR, and on the second Reboot the BSOD error is Memory Management.

Changing the default save location in Storage (Change where new content is saved) to the system drive fixes the BSOD after waking from sleep.

OlimpiuMihai, Dec 28, 2016
  3. GeForce GTX 675M - BSOD while playing Fallout 4 (and other games) - Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal - Related to NVLDDMKM.sys

It is letting me play my game for about 5 minutes now (as opposed to crashing immediately upon entering the game. I'm getting a different BSOD message though. It is saying Driver_power_state_failure.

I've updated the drivers for my network card, GPU and BIOS. I've adjusted my power settings to be in performance mode. What else can I do to avoid this new BSOD?

Russell Bullock, Dec 28, 2016
  4. Spectrum Win User

The crashdumps you posted are showing atapi.sys as the probable cause for the crashes. This is the driver that controls your SATA interface, so your hunch about the new hard drive seems to be on the money.

Here are some steps to take to help us see what's wrong:

1. If your motherboard has new firmware and drivers available, update to the latest and see if you still are getting crashes. I couldn't tell what model your motherboard was, but if you can't find the driver/firmware page let us know.

2. Plug the new hard drive into a different SATA port, see if it blue screens again.

3. Outright unplug the hard drive from the motherboard, and again, see if the crashes continue.

Spectrum, Dec 28, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Please remove all pirated programs and such from your system before we can start troubleshooting.
    The Forum Rules is meant for everything regarding piracy
    • Discussing it,
    • Asking for guidance,
    • Asking for a crack,
    • The use of it,
    • Etc.

6. nikko Win User
    Thank you for the advice, Spectrum. My MOBO is a Asus Sabertooth 990fx, and I have the latest firmware (unless I'm missing something, the Asus page says the latest firmware is build 1604 back in 2012).

Before this started happening, I was using the same SATA port for a Seagate 300gb HDD (the same total number of HDD's and Windows on SSD). All I did was swap the 300gb for a 5tb. Could I be looking at a hardware issue here? It seems unlikely that the PSU or new WD Black 5tb drive is faulty, as it works just fine from a fresh boot. This only happens when resuming from sleep.

Every SATA port is currently being used, but I will try switching the drive when I get home from work. I will also try removing it outright to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again for the help, I will research atapi.sys crashes and see what I can find.

nikko, Dec 28, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    Atapi.sys is a driver from Windows, searching for it mostly results in search results that are nowhere close to trustworthy results. (Mainly because there are lots of results from Solvusoft, Reviversoft and similar companies who post nothing more than crap on there sites in an attempt to sell their useless software.)

8. nikko Win User

Thank you, I noticed that! I was moreso searching for atapi.sys related BSOD errors in windows 10, along with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE but haven't found anything very helpful yet. I plan on trying out Driver Verifier later on tonight, and perhaps running chkdsk /r. Another post suggested changing "Transfer Mode" in device manager from DMA to PIO.

I also tried a full system restore back to a point before I had installed the HDD, but am still getting the BSOD. This is very unusual as my computer has been running fine for some time now, and it was only a simple HDD swap that caused this to start happening.

Thanks again.

nikko, Dec 28, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    As soon as you've done post #3 we'll continue.

10. nikko Win User
    Thank you for your time/responses, but I'm not comfortable removing anything from this computer as I share it with others who use it for work. Also, I'm not exactly sure which software is pirated and which is legitimate. This all started with replacing one of the HDD's--everything appeared to be working fine before that.

Thanks again, and I will continue my search!

nikko, Dec 28, 2016
  11. nikko Win User
    Just wanted to follow up on this thread to potentially help anyone else having this problem. It ended up being an issue with the way the SATA devices were connected. I moved the new 5tb HDD to a different SATA port and the BSOD's have ceased--now all drives & disc burners are connected and working 100%. I'm still not exactly sure where the conflict happened, but the good thing is after all the troubleshooting and driver updates my computer is running faster than it was before the problems began!

nikko, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD after installing new HDD.. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE upon wake - Similar Threads - BSOD installing HDD

2. BSOD Error After Installing New SSD In Place Of HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Error After Installing New SSD In Place Of HDD: I Have A HP Laptop And Recently I Installed A New SSD On My Laptop And The Proccess I Did Was By Replacing The HDD With SSD And Putting The HDD In A Caddy And I Installed The Windows 11 On SSD With My HDD Removed And After Everything Was Set In My SSD I Installed The HDD...
  3. Windows 10 BSOD after wake from Sleep/Hibernate [DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 BSOD after wake from Sleep/Hibernate [DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE]: I have recently bought a new device Lenovo Legion 5 AMD Ryzen 7 Sr. No PF2332PR [Product Support Link] and since the beginning, I am facing a BSOD Issue, Whenever I put my device to sleep/hibernate and turn it back on then it shows a black screen for a few seconds and then...
  4. BSOD 0x0000007e Exception After Installing New SATA HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD 0x0000007e Exception After Installing New SATA HDD: I recently lost a HDD in a FlexRaid SW Raid configuration. I tried to install a new Seagate Ironwolf 4TB SATA drive to recover the lost data. The system Bios could see the drive but it was not visible within Windows. When I rebooted the system, I got a BSOD with 0x0000007e...
  5. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE On Wake

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE On Wake: I've been dealing with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE errors. They do not occur consistently, but when they do it's shortly waking my computer from sleep. I also at one point encountered the error when changing my display settings shortly after startup. These errors come after...
  6. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 2 minutes after the PC wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 2 minutes after the PC wakes from sleep: Hello, I consistently get a BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE exactly 2 minutes after the PC wakes from sleep. Disabling sleep is not an option. Using WinDbg on C:\Windows\MEMORY 031020 614pm.DMP: Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.18362.1 AMD64 Copyright c...
  7. BSOD (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE) upon waking Surface Book 2

BSOD (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE) upon waking Surface Book 2: My Surface Book 2 (13.5" i7 w/ GTX 1050) on Windows 10 Version 1809 has a roughly 3 in 4 chance to, upon waking up, trigger a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen a couple minutes after waking up. During the couple minutes between waking and crashing, random components of...
  8. BSOD with Driver_Power_State_Failure after waking from sleep

BSOD with Driver_Power_State_Failure after waking from sleep: Ever since updating to Windows 10 I have periodically had a problem with my computer when I wake it from sleep. The symptoms of this are as follows: The machine will wake from sleep fine and I'm able to put in my password etc. After 30s to a minute, the machine will give me...
  9. BSOD upon waking from sleep

BSOD upon waking from sleep: Attachment 133661 A new laptop with Windows 10 freezing when waking from sleep. BSOD: irql not less or equal. Please help.. Thank you very much! 83616
  10. Internal HDD not recognized upon waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal HDD not recognized upon waking from sleep: I have an internal HDD that is not recognized when Windows 10 upon waking from sleep. This is a 2TB HDD that came with the system (a Dell XPS 8900) that I have since made into a data drive—all my programs and OS are on another drive. I'm running the anniversary update on...