Windows 10: BSOD at random, error 0x000000ef, 0x0000009f caused by ntoskrnl.exe

Discus and support BSOD at random, error 0x000000ef, 0x0000009f caused by ntoskrnl.exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, My mother's laptop has received two BSODs with the following errors: 0x000000ef & 0x0000009f I'd like help to resolve this issue. The DMP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Cernunnos, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Cernunnos Win User

BSOD at random, error 0x000000ef, 0x0000009f caused by ntoskrnl.exe

Hello,
    My mother's laptop has received two BSODs with the following errors:

0x000000ef & 0x0000009f
    I'd like help to resolve this issue.
    The DMP archive is attached.

Nathan

:)

Cernunnos, Oct 9, 2016

2. Windows 10 Blue Screen

I have a brand new Dell laptop with Windows 10. It has only been in use for 2 weeks when I got the BSOD Critical Process Died , Bug check code 0x000000ef, Parameter1 = ffffe001`9a644080, Caused by drive ntoskrnl.exe.

Does anyone have any idea what caused this BSOD or how to fix it.

Thanks, Please email me at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Mike Braecklein

Michael Braecklein, Oct 9, 2016
  3. ShadowXC Win User
    0x139 Bug check BSOD happening a lot.

i only know from bluescreenview that the bsods were caused by ntoskrnl.exe and sometimes random drivers.

heres the link to the skydrive containing the 32 minidumps: OneDrive

ShadowXC, Oct 9, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Looking at the Dell website, I see a A06 BIOS update the the Inspiron 5535 (M531R) laptop. Start by installing that, see if it helps:

Product Support | Dell US

Also see a problem with the amd_sata driver:
    Code: ffffdf01`df87af38 fffff802`6f456d04Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\dump_amd_sata.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dump_amd_sata.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dump_amd_sata.sys dump_amd_sata+0x6d04[/quote] The one installed is dated Tue Jul 23 04:06:27 2013. There is a newer one under the 8.1 X64 drivers on the Dell site:
    Code: AMD A76M FCH Driver File Name: 5535_Chipset_Driver_66KFJ_WN_13.250.0.0_A01.EXE Importance: Recommended Importance: Recommended Description: Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (154.43 MB) Release Date: 30 Jul 2014 Release Date: 30 Jul 2014 Version: 13.250.0.0 ,A01 Last Updated: 30 Jul 2014[/quote] Give that a try also. There is not Windows 10 Chipset update.

Ztruker, Oct 9, 2016
  5. Cernunnos Win User
    Hello,

Initially I believed that your solution had solved the problem; however, the problem persists with no results.
    I have updated the BIOS version to A06 and also updated the Chipset drivers.
    Upon rebooting and using the computer for a time, it began to slow down and eventually it came to the point where it was hanging periodically for 20-30 seconds, it did this a few times before showing another blue screen with "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED", the same blue screen I have experienced before.
    I will post another DMP archive here shortly.
    I also want to note that I had task manager running, and I noticed that there is a process constantly using 100% Disk usage... I believe this may be the culprit of the slow down, but it's a system process.
    I have performed a full scan on the computer with Avast and also with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with no success of finding anything that may indicate any malicious software presence on the computer.

Nathan

Edit: Now it seems that the PC refuses to start after the last BSOD. It goes through startup repair and then startup repair cannot repair the system. The system will not boot into safe mode. The following (The attachment) screen is presented to me upon trying to go through startup repair through the "Troubleshoot" options.

Edit: I will use Hiren's BootCD to retrieve the log file mentioned. I'll post that whenever I can.

Edit: Well... Nevermind then, Hirens isn't EFI compatible. Any ideas for how I can retrieve the log file?

Edit: I have retrieved the file; I used Troubleshoot options to open a Command Prompt, which I used to open a notepad, from there I used File>Open to copy the Srt folder from System32\Logfiles to a flash drive.

An archive of the files is attached, though I'm not sure how helpful it is.

Cernunnos, Oct 9, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Is the data on your Moms computer backed up? If not now would be an excellent time to do so.

Once that's done I would do a Clean Install of Windows 10. Since it is activated it will activate again automatically.
    Follow this tutorial: Windows 10 - Clean Install

Once that's done, make no changes to the installation. Repeat Windows Update until there are no more to do.
    Now download and install any of the Windows 10 specific drivers from the manufacturers web site.
    Proceed with customization, program installation and restoration of saved data.

Ztruker, Oct 10, 2016
  7. Cernunnos Win User
    Yeah, I thought so at this point.

Thanks.

Nathan

Cernunnos, Oct 10, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Please let me know how you make out.

Ztruker, Oct 11, 2016
  9. Cernunnos Win User
    Hello,
    The issue that I seem to be having now is finding a viable way to keep her files while reinstalling Windows 10.
    I thought initially that I may be able to simply install Windows 10 on the already existing partition and retrieve her files from Windows.old; however, the installation has failed twice already with "could not update registry data".
    I can not shrink the partition via Gparted for some unknown reason - it no longer wants me to run a chkdsk on the partition, it simply won't allow me to shrink it.
    It's imperative that her files remain intact.

Edit: The reason I did not back up the files before is because I felt that this would be the simplest way to go about keeping them, it seems this has just created more problems, though.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Cernunnos, Oct 11, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    One or more flash drives would work. How much data are you talking about?
    I have several 32GB flash drives I use for temporary backup. They come in 64, 128 and 256 GB sizes too.

The best way is a USB attached external hard drive. I have a Toshiba Canvio 1TB drive I picked up from Amazon for $59.

Ztruker, Oct 12, 2016
  11. Cernunnos Win User
    Hello,

We're talking roughly 170GB of data.

It appears that I've found a way to keep the partition intact so I will be able to retrieve my files - I first created a Windows 10 "to-go" USB, I booted it up on the laptop and used an elevated Command Prompt to run chkdsk /f on drive E:, afterwards I proceeded to open Disk Management where I am now in the process of shrinking the volume.

After I shrink the volume I will create a new volume with the newly created unallocated space, install Windows 10 on this volume, and retrieve the files from the old volume.
    Then I'll remove that volume and extend the new one!

Nathan

Cernunnos, Oct 12, 2016
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD at random, error 0x000000ef, 0x0000009f caused by ntoskrnl.exe - Similar Threads - BSOD random error

2. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: KUKutter_UKFirstly, I would like to say that I am posting this again because after having an instant reply from an 'Andrew', and posting my dmp files as requested on July 24th I haven't heard anything back since! I have responded a couple of times but nothing is happening to...
  3. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: Hi there, My new machine around 8 months old now runs perfectly most of the time. Uptime 3 - 6 weeks at a time. NO issues at all - I am a heavy PC user: Gaming, Audio Work and some 3D modelling, so my machine goes through its paces.Every now and then on boot, I get the error...
  4. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  5. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...
  6. BSOD caused by ntoskrnl exceptions

BSOD caused by ntoskrnl exceptions: Hello to anyone that is willing to help my name is Glenn, My pc was assembled by professionals but it got really hot so a month ago I took my cpu cooler off and noticed that they left the plastic on the cpu cooling block, So I fixed that issue after emailing the people...
  7. BSOD Randomly 0x000000ef

BSOD Randomly 0x000000ef: · OS - Windows 10 Professional · x64 · original installed OS on system Windows 10 Professional · Is the OS an OEM version · Age of system (hardware) one year and 9 months · Age of OS installation - installed on 15 august 2016 · CPU Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz,...
  8. BSOD at random -error 0x0000009f - ntoskrnl.exe

BSOD at random -error 0x0000009f - ntoskrnl.exe: Hi all So I have this issue in windows 10 where the keyboard of my laptop stops responding at random instances . None of the keys work. That is soon followed by BSOD and a " Driver Power state failure error message". When forcing the computer to restart by pressing...
  9. BSOD during random use errors 0x0000009f 0x00000133 0x0000000a

BSOD during random use errors 0x0000009f 0x00000133 0x0000000a: Hi I have encountered a few BSODs recently. Symptoms: I am using chrome, the computer freezes (mouse still moving) then shut down a few seconds/minutes later with one of the 2 following messages: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE or something about DPC_WATCHDOG. I usually...
  10. Random BSODs (ntoskrnl,memory_management)

Random BSODs (ntoskrnl,memory_management): Hello, first timer here. Long story short, after i updated to windows 10 from 8.1 i started experiencing some randomly BSODs. So i downloaded the ISO and made a clean install.Immidiatelly after my newly formated pc i installed Avast,mozilla and Asrock's Suite to check for...