Windows 10: BSOD at random, too inconsistent to pinpoint

Discus and support BSOD at random, too inconsistent to pinpoint in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, After months of trial-and-error fixing attempts and reinstallations of Windows 10, I give up and plead my case to you, handsome and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Rudi, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Rudi Win User

BSOD at random, too inconsistent to pinpoint

Hi there,

After months of trial-and-error fixing attempts and reinstallations of Windows 10, I give up and plead my case to you, handsome and capable reader!

I keep getting BSOD's after a few weeks of usage, after a fresh reinstall of windows 10 they aren't present until two to three weeks of usage, then they keep appearing with increasing intervals, sometimes forcing disk checks or repairs without really solving the issue. I'm suspecting a hardware issue, but my pc isn't a year old yet and I've pretty much had this from the start, besides I've been convincing myself that 'if it would be a hardware issue, the crashes would be more consistent'. the BSOD error codes I'm getting are different each time as well, like BAD_POOL_HEADER or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

I've done memory tests, reinstallations of windows, driver updates and reinstallations (manual and automatic, fresh and overwriting), used different browsers (the most common crashes are during usage of my internet browser), none seemed to help.

Is there any way I can find a solution for my problem, or am I doomed to send in my parts for warranty? Could a hardware problem even be pinpointed with the reports attached?

Here's hoping for news, if I need to clarify or forgot to mention something, please let me know. In return, I present you with an animated gif file of a very confused and distorted Patrick Stewart.

:)

2. Ukkie66 Win User

BSOD PC's APC_INDEX_MISMATCH ntoskrnl.exe

Hi all,

I need some help with a dump situation. In the last 3 weeks, some PC's starting to show BSOD at random and we can not find the reason why. We think it's a USB driver issue but we can not be sure.

Is there someone who can help me pinpoint the problem from the
    dump information
    ?

Regards,

Sander

Ukkie66, Feb 16, 2018
  3. BSOD - Windows 10 - Various Errors

Hi All!

Hope you guys can help. I am at the end of my tether with all these BSOD's. After spending countless hours of investigation, I cannot pinpoint any reason for all the BSOD's I am experiencing.

Here are my 3 most recent BSOD' minidumps and SysInfo: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

There does not seem to be any particular task I am doing when these happen, they seem to be completely random.

Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version 1709 Build 16299.248)

I have read alot about NVIDIA drivers causing alot of BSOD's. I have updated to various versions of the drivers but have no luck unfortunately in resolving this problem.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help! BSOD at random, too inconsistent to pinpoint :)

Ash

AshWhittaker1, Feb 16, 2018
  4. axe0 New Member

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.
    The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'. After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.

BSOD at random, too inconsistent to pinpoint [​IMG]

BSOD at random, too inconsistent to pinpoint [​IMG]

5. Rudi Win User
    Apologies, done. The only thing I couldn't find was the system manufacturer/model number, hope this is enough.

6. axe0 New Member
    Please revert any overclock present on your system.

7. Rudi Win User
    Does an XML-profile count as an overclock? Now that I think of it, my pc won't boot without enabling said XML-profile. This completely slipped my mind and is probably related.

8. axe0 New Member

An XMP profile is overclocking the RAM, it's also specified on the motherboards specs that the frequency the RAM is running on is considered overclocking.

9. Rudi Win User
    Thanks for your help so far.

I tried disabling said XML-profile and my pc does indeed not boot without it, it reboots after showing the initial BIOS screen and loading a while. I guess at this point it's pretty safe to say it is in fact a hardware issue, I'll update the thread title accordingly. Edit: it seems I can't.

That said, what are the steps I can take to solve this issue? Would fiddling with BIOS settings solve anything, or do I need to get different hardware? As you have probably noticed I'm not that tech-savvy.

10. axe0 New Member
    First thing I would try is reset the BIOS settings to the default.

11. Rudi Win User
    I have inquired at my retailer about the XMP-profile being a must for using my pc, and I have been informed about the following:

-Reset the BIOS settings to default
    -Reboot with only one RAM stick plugged in
    -Enable XMP
    -Reboot, see if windows loads up
    -Turn off PC, plug the other RAM stick in, and turn the PC back on

I've not had a blue screen since I did this, I will do a duration test and report back in two days about the frequency of blue screens. If this has indeed fixed the issue, I will mark the thread as solved.

12. I have a similar issue but another weird thing is that if I plug in USB headphones, the USB wireless mouse does not move.
    I will do a memory swap tomorrow. Aside of that I am suspicious of windows updates as of late.

Charliewhiskey, Feb 19, 2018
  13. Rudi Win User

Well, here's an update.

Short version: It did not fix my problem. I still had blue screens and I sort of gibbed my Windows installation and had to reinstall. *Redface

But I feel like I'm very close.

Turns out it's very likely my CPU may be the cause. One of my IT pals did some searching around and found out that Skylake Kaby Lake only officially supports up to 2133mhz 2400mhz, while my ram runs at 3200ish mhz. So running my RAM on 3200 is considered overclocking, which causes the instabilities. My mate will visit me one of these days to manually time my values in the bios, and hopefully this will stabilize my system.

I will mark the the thread as solved. Thanks for your time, and have a nice day.

Thema:

1. BSOD at random, too inconsistent to pinpoint - Similar Threads - BSOD random too

2. Need help pinpointing cause of BSODs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need help pinpointing cause of BSODs: I've been getting several BSODs lately, usually while playing Diablo 4.I've been monitoring my RAM and it has been almost fully in use quite often so I am not sure if that is the cause for some of them.I have done the usual sfc and restorehealth commands in CMD, looked at...
  3. Inconsistent BSODs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inconsistent BSODs: Hello. I've recently built my own PC about a month back, and it ran fine for a while 3ish weeks, but it has recently been giving BSODs for various reasons, with the most recent ones being related to system service exceptions. These crashes happen inconsistently, with some...
  4. Inconsistent BSODs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inconsistent BSODs: Hello. I've recently built my own PC about a month back, and it ran fine for a while 3ish weeks, but it has recently been giving BSODs for various reasons, with the most recent ones being related to system service exceptions. These crashes happen inconsistently, with some...
  5. Can't pinpoint the cause of BSODs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't pinpoint the cause of BSODs: My computer has been getting a lot of bluescreens from day 1, and I can't really seem to pinpoint the problemAs far as I know, all my drivers are up to date so I don't know what the problem isHere are all my minidump...
  6. Can't pinpoint the cause of BSODs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't pinpoint the cause of BSODs: My computer has been getting a lot of bluescreens from day 1, and I can't really seem to pinpoint the problemAs far as I know, all my drivers are up to date so I don't know what the problem isHere are all my minidump...
  7. Inconsistent BSOD

Inconsistent BSOD: My PC keeps BSOD at seemingly random intervals, the causes on the BSOD have said, "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED", "DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION ERROR", "KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED ERROR", "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL ERROR". Looking into it I ran driver verifier and got the DMP...
  8. Random BSODs with new build, unable to pinpoint cause

Random BSODs with new build, unable to pinpoint cause: Hello all. I've been having lots of random BSODs recently with a fairly new build. The build is about 2 months old. I can't really figure out what might be causing them, as I've seen them happen pretty randomly and with a wide array of error messages. I've tried updating all...
  9. BSOD, infrequent and inconsistent

BSOD, infrequent and inconsistent: Been dealing with infrequent BSOD for 6+ months with minimal luck on a solution. Finally happened during an inconvenient time so its time to sort it out. Additional information can be provided if requested. Speccy: https://i.imgur.com/z5yb0gq.png DMP:...
  10. UI inconsistent and too big

in Windows 10 Support
    UI inconsistent and too big: Hello, I'm having some issues with the size of the UI. In some Windows, it seems to be "old style" and properly sized. But in other places, it seems to be following the new design guidelines and there it is way to big for me. [img] On the left the "old-style"...