Windows 10: BSOD Attempt to write to readonly memory (VHDMP.SYS) during Backup

Discus and support BSOD Attempt to write to readonly memory (VHDMP.SYS) during Backup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer delivers a BSOD and reboots when I get to about 95% through a Windows backup. The error message points to VHDMP.SYS. It's actually failed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Typhoo, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Typhoo Win User

BSOD Attempt to write to readonly memory (VHDMP.SYS) during Backup

My computer delivers a BSOD and reboots when I get to about 95% through a Windows backup. The error message points to VHDMP.SYS.
    It's actually failed intermittently for some weeks and then backed-up okay but today some 10 attempts have all failed. I've tried checks to the limit of my technical capabilities (checked disk and memory).

:)

Typhoo, Jan 16, 2016

2. BSOD Attempt to write to readonly memory error (VHDMP.SYS) during Backup

Hello. I'm experiencing the same issue. I've uploaded the information you've requested to my One Drive. My make and model is Lenovo C320
    20 inch Multi Touch All-in-One Desktop PC (Intel Core i3-2120, RAM 4GB,HDD 500GB, DVDR, Windows 7 Home Premium)
    . I now run Windows 10, though am using the Windows 7 backup through the control panel. All has worked fine, even with Windows 10, until the
    most recent Windows update. My last successful backup was 5th of August, 2016.

The One Drive Folder is called files for Gerry, and it is here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkE8HS7DtfnGrUM2GbPj_S8u0eYL

Snuffy1100, Jan 16, 2016
  3. BSOD Attempt to write to readonly memory error (VHDMP.SYS) during Backup

Please upload copies of dump files that were created during the 14 days as shared files to your OneDrive with a link here.

The dumpfile will be created at c:\windows\minidump. You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the file. To show hidden files select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+S, type Folder Options in the Search box and click the Folder Options result. Select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked.
    You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Please download and run Driver View and upload a copy of the report it produces to your OneDrive.

DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List

Please provide a copy of your System Information file.
    To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R
    , type msinfo32 and press the ENTER
    key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located.
    Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for
    the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Jan 16, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

Are you using Bullquard Online Backup the driver is from may 2014.
    Update to the latest windows 10 compatible version.

lifetec, Jan 17, 2016
  5. Typhoo Win User
    I use Bullguard but not for backup. This was a bog-standard Windows backup from my SSD to a partition on my HDD.

Typhoo, Jan 18, 2016
  6. PhunkyD Win User
    Are you running any antivirus software? Try disabling it before you run backups

PhunkyD, Mar 3, 2016
  7. Typhoo Win User
    Many thanks for the suggestion - tried and failed. This seems like a "deep" Windows problem

Typhoo, Mar 3, 2016
  8. PhunkyD Win User

Thanks for the update, we have encountered similar issues with BitDefender AV installed. I was hoping it helped you.

PhunkyD, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD Attempt to write to readonly memory (VHDMP.SYS) during Backup - Similar Threads - BSOD Attempt write

2. BSOD Attempted write to readonly memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Attempted write to readonly memory: Lately I've been seeing some BSODs again. The one from today is the 'Attempted write to readonly memory'. One a week earlier was 'Page fault in non paged area'. Both of them occur when I first start up the system and am at the login screen. I have not experienced a BSOD so...
  3. BSOD Attempted write to readonly memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Attempted write to readonly memory: Lately I've been seeing some BSODs again. The one from today is the 'Attempted write to readonly memory'. One a week earlier was 'Page fault in non paged area'. Both of them occur when I first start up the system and am at the login screen. I have not experienced a BSOD so...
  4. BSoD Attempted write to readonly memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD Attempted write to readonly memory: I have a computer that randomly twice a day gives me a BSoD ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY What Failed vhdmp.sys. I enabled dmp files and have it located here:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14PgXgYTOTEkwrUOsNFuM5yvBSX2mkGA1?usp=sharingI looked at the DMP file and...
  5. BSoD Attempted write to readonly memory

BSoD Attempted write to readonly memory: I have a computer that randomly twice a day gives me a BSoD ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY What Failed vhdmp.sys. I enabled dmp files and have it located here:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14PgXgYTOTEkwrUOsNFuM5yvBSX2mkGA1?usp=sharingI looked at the DMP file and...
  6. BSoD Attempted write to readonly memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. BSOD : Attempted write to readonly memory

BSOD : Attempted write to readonly memory: Hello, Its the third time i am writing here.. My problem is that i get randomly BSOD with Attempted write to readonly memory about 6 months now. It is totally random. I have tried memory check, driver verifier with no luck. Well, a month ago, i solved it by updating...
  8. BSOD : Attempted write to readonly memory

BSOD : Attempted write to readonly memory: Hello, For few months now, i am getting BSOD with error description: attempted write to readonly memory... BSOD are really random. It may not throw the error for a week, but it is possible to throw it 2 3 times a day.. I think it is happening when a game is running or...
  9. BSOD - attempted write to readonly memory

BSOD - attempted write to readonly memory: Hi, I have an acer aspire E15 laptop and I play a game called "CFQQ" from Tencent. I played it normally for 2 months, but recently I always get the BSOD - attempted write to readonly memory when playing the game for 2 to 3 minutes. It said the problem is caused by a file...
  10. BSOD "attempted write to readonly memory"

BSOD "attempted write to readonly memory": I've had this error happen atleast 3 time this week, i've included minidumps and i also ran sfc /scannow and have CBS.log if needed. I've attached a link to onedrive with 4 of the minidumps and the most recent one 12/28/19 6:39PM . Any help would be appreciated. Cheers...