Windows 10: BSOD - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY - Windows 10 Pro 64bit...

Discus and support BSOD - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY - Windows 10 Pro 64bit... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; hi guys, I'm facing random BSOD issues recently, not really reproducible and frequent but still present and quite unpleasant. to start with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sahafiec, Feb 11, 2016.

1. sahafiec Win User

BSOD - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY - Windows 10 Pro 64bit...

hi guys,

I'm facing random BSOD issues recently, not really reproducible and frequent but still present and quite unpleasant.

to start with the latest, I just got home switched the system on and opened Google Chrome with only two tabs.
    I did some short internet research and then suddenly got a BSOD stating "ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY".
    the cause seems to be "ntoskrnl.exe" which seems to be quite general but doesn't mean much to me.

I've already had "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD with the same cause recently.
    although I've red a lot about it on the internet I couldn't find the real cause.
    my bios and all the drivers are up to date, reinstalled them many times and the Windows 10 Pro is also a fresh install.
    I'm currently using the 361.82 Hotfix nVidia driver, only driver and Physx installed, always using DDU for uninstalling.

I really don't know what else to do, cpu motherboard and ram are just a couple of months old.
    the BSOD doesn't seem to be load related as it mostly happens while on the desktop or browsing the internet.
    once it happened right after closing my mail client, heat is also no issue at all.

I'll really appreciate it if someone could help me out of that dilemma.

Attachment 63879

:)

sahafiec, Feb 11, 2016

2. Suddenly Crash After Windows 10 Update 16299, Please Help

HP

AMD A6-9220 Radeon R4

8GB

Windows 10 pro 64bit

Daily crash without BSOD!

Dump file:

020818-39843-01.dmp

BorisTraljić, Feb 11, 2016
  3. RICKYWEST Win User
    Will Windows 10 PRO run faster that Windows 10 Home?

[Windows 10 PRO 64bit ,QUESTIONS ? ]

- // IS THERE ANYTHING IN Windows 10 Pro 64bit THAT WILL MAKE MY COMPUTER RUN FASTER THAN HAVING REGULAR Windows 10 64bit ?....

IN OTHER WORDS SHOULD I BUY WINDOWS 10 PRO 64bit TO IMPROVE THE WORKING SPEED OF MY COMPUTER THAT IS RUNNING WINDOWS 10 64bit ? ...

RICKYWEST, Feb 11, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Please check in Google Chrome if hardware acceleration is enabled:
    • In the right upper corner, click on Attachment 63904 and choose settings.
    • Scroll down and click on 'advanced settings', scroll all the way to the end of the settings.
    • In the part 'system' is the option to enable/disable hardware acceleration.
    • If this option is enabled, disable it and let me know how it goes.
    Hardware acceleration makes Google Chrome using hardware to execute some functionality faster then possible with software, this however could sometimes cause problems.

Also in the same part of hardware acceleration you can find the option 'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed', please make sure this option is disabled too.
    Code: PROCESS_NAME: chrome.exe[/quote] Let me know if this helps *Smile

5. sahafiec Win User
    hi axe0,
    thank you for the fast reply. As you suggested I checked the status of Google Chrome.
    hardware acceleration as well as background apps are switched off so I didn't have to change anything.
    I also made sure that hardware acceleration is switched off in Firefox and Internet Explorer as well.

on the other side this means there must be some other reason for the crash besides hardware acceleration.

to add some more info, I'm currently using Google Chrome 48.0.2564.109 and Firefox 44.0.2 running as portable apps over USB3.0 (running on a SanDisk Extreme 64GB flash drive).
    within my Windows 10 Pro (build 10.0.10586) there is the current Internet Explorer 11.103.10586.0 and I mostly use two browser at a time.
    I'm using them this way for a very long time now and never had such issues.

could this lead to the issues and crashes I'm facing?

what else could I do to troubleshoot the issue?

sahafiec, Feb 12, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    There could be many things causing it, but I wanted to make sure those settings are fine *Smile

Driver verifier, the "ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY" crash is mostly caused by bad drivers which can be caught with driver verifier. Please read below instructions carefully

BSOD - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY - Windows 10 Pro 64bit... [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial to run driver verifier.

Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

7. sahafiec Win User
    started driver verifier exactly as described in the tutorial, let's see what happens.
    I'm using Chrome now by purpose in case it's somehow related.
    I'll update the topic as soon as there is some progress.

update:
    the verivier runs vor almost 24 hours now and nothing happens.
    just want to be sure everything is ok and verifier is running.
    does it look good?

sahafiec, Feb 12, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

The settings look good yes *Smile

9. sahafiec Win User
    thanks for confirming axe0, system still running with no issues.
    it's been almost 40 hours running the verifier and no BSOD for now.
    I'm not sure if I should rate this as "good" or "bad", a bit confused. *sarc

update:
    I'm almost at 48 hours runtime, does it make sence to go on?
    any other idea?

current status:

sahafiec, Feb 14, 2016
  10. sahafiec Win User
    so, now I'm over the 48 hours of running driver verifier with no BSOD.

no idea what to do next and why there was no BSOD. *sarc

sahafiec, Feb 14, 2016
  11. axe0 New Member
    Driver verifier is sometimes used to get a more stable system to attempt troubleshooting.

I will suggest 2 options you could do for now
    • a memory test, instructions below
    • use your system as you normally would and keep me posted on the situation

Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

12. sahafiec Win User
    thanks for the rush reply axe0. I assume it's ok to stop driver verifier for now right?

2. after starting driver verifier I did some gaming sessions to put extra stress on the system.
    today I used it the usual way during the working days, including 2 browser with 4 tabs each.
    there is flash player streaming video all the time, java applets schowing data and so on.

1. the night prior to starting driver verifier I ran memtest over night. I did the installation according to the instructions.
    but the version I downloaded was the latest MemTest86 V6.3.0 Free 64bit. strangely it ran only 4 passes by default.
    so I think it doesn't mean much that it found no errors over nicht. I attached the summary of the run.

should I repeat the test with the linked Memtest86+ 5.01?

sahafiec, Feb 14, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

MemTest86 is different from MemTest86+, we recommend the + version *Smile

14. sahafiec Win User
    got it, starting the test right now. *Smile

sahafiec, Feb 14, 2016
  15. sahafiec Win User
    well, ran MemTest86+ version 5.01 for over 8 passes with no single error.
    so I stopped it during the 9th pass as I need the pc for my work.

glad to see there is no RAM issue, but still suspicious there might be an issue I can't reproduce.
    haven't had a single BSOD since I started troubleshooting though. *Smile

sahafiec, Feb 15, 2016
Thema:

1. BSOD - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY - Windows 10 Pro 64bit... - Similar Threads - BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY Pro

2. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: Hey, guys. Help me solve the problem. I am getting an error and blue screen. I have a memory dump. Here is the basic information from the dump:************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit...
  3. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: Hey, guys. Help me solve the problem. I am getting an error and blue screen. I have a memory dump. Here is the basic information from the dump:************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit...
  4. ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be BSOD: Recently cloned my windows installation SSD to a new SSD using clonezilla.Seems to be working fine but under load I will get a BSOD: Unexpected_Store_Exception, Kernal_Data_Inpage_Error, Critical_Process_Died.Any help would be appreciated!Attached is the memorydump from...
  5. BSoD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: I get a BSoD many times! They are all happened while I was using Edge Browser. One time is while I was hovering the cursor over things on an AliExpress items, I spent time on that AliE page long before the problem occured.My system is Lenovo Legion 5 82B1CPU: Ryzen 7...
  6. BSoD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: I get a BSoD many times! They are all happened while I was using Edge Browser. One time is while I was hovering the cursor over things on an AliExpress items, I spent time on that AliE page long before the problem occured.My system is Lenovo Legion 5 82B1CPU: Ryzen 7...
  7. BSOD: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be

BSOD: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be: Hello. Been having a number of different types of BSODs on my computer. The recent one, and one that i've had before is: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY According to WinDBG: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be An attempt was made to write to readonly memory. The...
  8. BSOD Windows 10 Pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD Windows 10 Pro 64bit: Hello I have just built a new PC with the following specs and it gives me BSOD every 5 mins or so. How can I locate the minidump files to share them with you? I have the following specs CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 RAM: Corsair 3200Mhz XMP enabled MB: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite...
  9. Windows 10: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY then INVALID_PROCESS_ATTEMPT_ATTACH BSOD...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY then INVALID_PROCESS_ATTEMPT_ATTACH BSOD...: This is kind of a weird one, I never seen anything like this before. After attempting to format a USB drive, I get this stop error: ATTEMPT_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY, after a restart, attempting enter the 4 digit pin on the logon screen, I get this error:...
  10. Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory

Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory: Yesterday my computer started randomly showing the BSOD 0x000000be ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY. At the time I wasn't doing anything on the PC, but I do have programs such as Plex media sever and steam running in the background always. The description of the error said...