Windows 10: Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory

Discus and support Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Yesterday my computer started randomly showing the BSOD 0x000000be ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY. At the time I wasn't doing anything on the PC,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Chap, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Chap Win User

Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory

Yesterday my computer started randomly showing the BSOD 0x000000be ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY. At the time I wasn't doing anything on the PC, but I do have programs such as Plex media sever and steam running in the background always. The description of the error said that if a faulty driver was identified, it would be stored in the crash bugcheck in 'KiBugCheckDriver'. I used WinDbg to analyse MEMORY.dmp, but couldn't find any mention of it (although I'm by no means an expert in debugging). I also ran a windows memory check using mdsched.exe and it couldn't find any issues.
    Here's my logs:
    Attachment 90344

EDIT: After further crashes, it looks like the BSOD only occurs when the PC is idle. I used it for a couple hours just before without crashes, but after I leave it for 15-20mins it reboots and I come back in to the login screen with another unexpected shutdown and bugcheck in the logs. Could be a coincidence but in hindsight, all crashes have occurred when I was not moving the mouse or using the keyboard for a period of time.

Thanks for your help

:)

2. Multiple BSOD on new Ryzen build

I also got a bunch of BSODs on my new Ryzen build:

*most frequent* MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

*second most frequent* IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

I tried everything I could to troubleshoot. Turns out the culprits are not only Onedrive, but also Dropbox. Enabling either one will send my PC straight to BSOD at Windows startup. Do you think the windows update you mentioned also
    fixes dropbox?

Ichigomiruku, Jul 15, 2016
  3. Windows 10 IRQL Error

So yeah spent some time on twitter talking with hp found out pretty much every single driver on my laptop was out of date due to the fact they had no updates for it. Ended up having to do a clean install of windows 10 which worked no IRQL error now but
    I got a new BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY.

ArcticWFox, Jul 15, 2016
  4. Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory

I have almost exactly the same problem. New build i7 windows 10 pro. Had been behaving well for a week then abruptly on 14th of July began having the same symptoms. Will crash and reboot after a period of inactivity (no mouse or keyboard input) but is solid while in use. Happening predictably 30-60 mins of not touching the computer - even if its downloading.

These are always reported as:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000020, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8003418b245). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: c4b0009b-f4ae-48aa-aef9-773cb3dde083.

No obvious windows or application eras happening immediately before the crash and reboot. but there is a recurrent error afterwards :

Kernal PnP
    The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2.

My system reliability history shows the machine was turned on mostly copying files across the network for almost 7 days without a crash - then started crash every hour or so from 14th July. The last significant update prior to this was on the 13th July with:

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985)

My system is overclocked .. but I've gone back to default (no overclock) the last 24 hours - and the symptoms are the same - regular crashing and rebooting ever 30-60mins.

Any help also greatly appreciated.

NB. I used the computer for 6 hours last night for some heavy duty 3d gaming (144 gesync monitor on a high res display with the new vulkan drivers for core maximisation ...) rock solid and no crashes. I leave it downloading some steam updates with minimal usage or cpu or graphics and its done the crash reboot again twice this afternoon.

Andrew Cruse, Jul 15, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Looks like your issue is not even almost the same.
    Please read How to upload files & create a new thread.

6. axe0 New Member
    Hi Chap,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

Please remove all USB devices that are not required, all except for mouse & keyboard.

Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    Clean boot
    Please try the following:
    • Open taskmanager
      • Go to the tab startup
      • disable everything
    • Search msconfig and open it
      • Go to the tab services
      • Check 'hide microsoft services'
      • Uncheck all other services
      • Click apply and click ok
    • Reboot if asked
    See if the problem persist, if the problem does not persist enable in the startup tab in taskmanager 1 item and in the services tab in msconfig also 1 service, reboot and see if the problem persist. Keep doing this until you find the culprit or there is nothing left.
    If the problem still persist, try booting in safe mode and see if the problem still persist.

Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.
    The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.How to fill in your system specs:

7. Chap Win User
    Hi axe0,

Just a quick update: I'm yet to run the memory test (I have to use the PC for work today), but I will post again with the results when I'm done. I tried disabling all the startup services and programs using your instructions and the PC crashed after about 15 minutes of inactivity. When I booted into safe mode however, the PC stayed on for about an hour and did not crash at all.

8. Chap Win User

Completed the memtest as requested, no errors detected (I ran the test a bit longer to get to 8 passes after this photo was taken, but same outcome):
    Attachment 90663

9. axe0 New Member
    Please run memtest86+ as requested

10. Chap Win User
    Really sorry, my mistake - I must've misread or downloaded the wrong version. I will run the + version now. See you tomorrow!

11. Chap Win User
    Just tried booting from the usb with Memtest86+ on it, using the installation instructions from the post you linked and my PC won't boot it. Says "Missing operating system". This is using the same usb drive, port and boot options that worked for Memtest86.

12. axe0 New Member
Thema:

1. Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory - Similar Threads - Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory

2. Getting BSOD caused by ntkrnlmp.exe - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting BSOD caused by ntkrnlmp.exe - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY.: I have been getting bluescreens and just about everything randomly crashing recently, with most of the bluescreens being ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY. I downloaded WinDbg where I found SearchIndexer, OfficeClickToR, System, SniperElite4_D and msiexec.exe being the...
  3. Getting BSOD caused by ntkrnlmp.exe - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting BSOD caused by ntkrnlmp.exe - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY.: I have been getting bluescreens and just about everything randomly crashing recently, with most of the bluescreens being ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY. I downloaded WinDbg where I found SearchIndexer, OfficeClickToR, System, SniperElite4_D and msiexec.exe being the...
  4. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: Hey, guys. Help me solve the problem. I am getting an error and blue screen. I have a RAM dump. Here is the basic information from the dump:************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit...
  5. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: Hey, guys. Help me solve the problem. I am getting an error and blue screen. I have a memory dump. Here is the basic information from the dump:************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit...
  6. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: Hey, guys. Help me solve the problem. I am getting an error and blue screen. I have a memory dump. Here is the basic information from the dump:************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit...
  7. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be BSOD: Recently cloned my windows installation SSD to a new SSD using clonezilla.Seems to be working fine but under load I will get a BSOD: Unexpected_Store_Exception, Kernal_Data_Inpage_Error, Critical_Process_Died.Any help would be appreciated!Attached is the memorydump from...
  9. ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be BSOD

ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be BSOD: Recently cloned my windows installation SSD to a new SSD using clonezilla.Seems to be working fine but under load I will get a BSOD: Unexpected_Store_Exception, Kernal_Data_Inpage_Error, Critical_Process_Died.Any help would be appreciated!Attached is the memorydump from...
  10. Fortnite causes BSOD Stop code: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY What failed:bthport.sys, etc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fortnite causes BSOD Stop code: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY What failed:bthport.sys, etc: Multiple different failures for each time, can someone look at my minidump please New folder 2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fortnite-causes-bsod-stop-code/f114572a-a8a7-44fa-a6c4-ef6f76184272

Users found this page by searching for:

1. attempted to write read only memory bsod 2019