Windows 10: BSOD but system doesn't restart after dump

Discus and support BSOD but system doesn't restart after dump in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On my system, I have Automatically Restart set in the system failure but when it BSOD's, it says that the system will restart after the dump but it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Almighty1, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Almighty1 Win User

BSOD but system doesn't restart after dump

On my system, I have Automatically Restart set in the system failure but when it BSOD's, it says that the system will restart after the dump but it appears it just stays at the blue screen without restarting even after an hour on atleast 3 occasions since I've upgraded to Win10 from Win7 Home Premium on August 11, 2015, the system is able to restart and shutdown normally. Any ideas how to fix this?

:)

Almighty1, Sep 4, 2015

2. APC Index Mismatch

For some reason, dump doesn't work with my BSOD, I just waited for 15 minutes but there was "0% completed".

Also, sometimes, if I remove webcam in Device Manager and re-install driver again - everything works, but after Windows restart it breaks again and this trick doesn't work each time.

Denis Alaev, Sep 4, 2015
  3. sfc logfile shows a folder which doesn't exist? Folder ----"C:\Windows\System32\hi-in\hi-in\" ---------Folder which i can find --"C:\Windows\System32\hi-IN\"

I need the dump files of BSOD. SFC DISM doesn't prove to be quite useful in troubleshooting BSODs.

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 4, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

axe0, Sep 4, 2015
  5. Almighty1 Win User
    Thanks, had it on Kernel memory dump with 24 gigs of memory. For troubleshooting a BSOD, is only a minidump needed or does it need to be bigger? Is a Kernel memory dump supposed to write to c:\windows\minidump as well because on my system with the Kernel memory dump, I have 2 .dmp files with different date/timestamps in c:\windows\minidump in addition to the c:\windows\memory.dmp file. Also, wouldn't it actually be better to have automatic restart actually disabled since how would someone know the system crashed if the system restarted, seems easier to just actually be at the BSOD screen so one can look into it.

Almighty1, Sep 4, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    We prefer minidumps, because the memory.dmp file will be overwritten everytime you get a bluescreen, this is not the case with minidumps.
    Everytime a bluescreen occurs, there are 2 files generated, a minidump with the date and time and the memory.dmp file (which will be overwritten if this already exists.

I would not recommend to disable the restart option, enough people don't know what to do when they see there system has crashed.
    With the restart possibility they can find out more about the crash to solve it.
    I'm not sure, but I think that if you don't let your system restart that then the minidump file won't be saved.

axe0, Sep 4, 2015
  7. SpecChum Win User
    The dump is saved even when you don't restart as that's how mine is set up.

SpecChum, Sep 4, 2015
  8. Almighty1 Win User

Interesting, I thought the dump would still be there since it's similar to kernel panics in Unix OSes where it will just panic without restarting as the dump file is always written from what the BSOD says. What I meant to say is that since I leave my system on 24x7x365, I might not remember it experienced a BSOD so if it stays at the BSOD, all I do is hold the power button for 10 seconds so it turns off and then restart on my own, then the first thing I do will be to try to troubleshoot.

Almighty1, Sep 4, 2015
  9. axe0 New Member
    The difference between a kernel dump and a small dump
    This option is standard checked with memory.dmp files, thats why they'll be overwritten.
    Attachment 35936

axe0, Sep 4, 2015
  10. Almighty1 Win User
    Depends on the system. My desktop being a tower, I would press reset but my notebook has no reset button so the closest thing is holding down the power button. Sometimes on the desktop, it requires a forced power down when reset doesn't do anything. Desktop is still running WinXP Professional SP3.

Almighty1, Sep 4, 2015
  11. Almighty1 Win User
    Yes, I read that C:\Windows\memory.dmp gets overwritten on a kernel dump but it seems my system was always on kernel dump but it still produces the minidump files in c:\windows\minidump in addition to the C:\windows\memory.dmp so perhaps the mini dumps will always be there as long as some type of dump is chosen to be written.

Almighty1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD but system doesn't restart after dump - Similar Threads - BSOD system doesn't

2. System restarting with BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restarting with BSOD: At first my system would restart when I had my camera powered on and in use. I have moved to my secondary camera but continue to experience random restarts with BSOD. Event viewer shows the event below."The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error...
  3. System restarting with BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restarting with BSOD: At first my system would restart when I had my camera powered on and in use. I have moved to my secondary camera but continue to experience random restarts with BSOD. Event viewer shows the event below."The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error...
  4. System restarting with BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Dump File after system

Dump File after system: Hi I got the following Dump file analysis after some auto shutdowns. I also attached a screenshot of event viewer around the time of error. ******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck Analysis **...
  6. Dump File after system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dump File after system: Hi I got the following Dump file analysis after some auto shutdowns. I also attached a screenshot of event viewer around the time of error. ******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck Analysis **...
  7. Dump File after system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Computer doesn't restart after reaching 100% in BSOD

Computer doesn't restart after reaching 100% in BSOD: Hi, as title stated, my PC doesn't restart automatically after reaching 100% after BSOD. It used to restart but since, I guess, last 2 Windows update it doesn't do it automatically anymore. I've checked that I turned on the automatic restart in System Properties/System...
  9. Computer Doesn't Restart After BSOD Error

Computer Doesn't Restart After BSOD Error: I was watching a video on Microsoft Edge and suddenly, my computer bluescreened. Soon it was at %100, but it wouldn't restart. It was stuck saying it was at %100. My sister's computer doesn't ever even get the BSOD. I had to cold boot my computer to boot it up again. Could...
  10. system got dump (BSOD)

system got dump (BSOD): Hi, Please find attached System dump file as well as system logs of application and system. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LtLxA4e0APtaaFbKmH6assKcu7yql0yA can you help me in this case ....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bsod but doesnt reboot