Windows 10: BSOD caused by NTOSKRNL.exe - Driver Power State Failure

Discus and support BSOD caused by NTOSKRNL.exe - Driver Power State Failure in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Every now and then, when my computer is in sleep mode, it will restart due to the NTOSKRNL.exe driver crashing, a driver_power_state_failure. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ConceptEight, Jan 5, 2018.

1. BSOD caused by NTOSKRNL.exe - Driver Power State Failure

Every now and then, when my computer is in sleep mode, it will restart due to the NTOSKRNL.exe driver crashing, a driver_power_state_failure. I've tried reinstalling Windows and updated all my drivers, but the issue persists. I've attached a screenshot of what BlueScreenView shows me when it analyzes the dump file.
    BSOD caused by NTOSKRNL.exe - Driver Power State Failure [​IMG]

I would appreciate any help with this. Laptop is HP Envy, model M1W82UA#ABA

:)

ConceptEight, Jan 5, 2018
  2. Smokesick Win User

BSOD Driver Power State Failure Caused by ntoskrnl.exe (Windows 10)

This is an old topic, however I would like to shed some light on how I got my problem fixed. I want to note that I made a thread on the official Asus ROG Forums, however I am having trouble finding the specific topic and am therefore unable to link it here.

I have a G551JW and suffered from this issue for quite a bit. Works fine when connected to the power supply, else fails when on battery power. This issue may exist on other models and the solution may be an effective one for all of them, but I cannot guarantee
    that.

The fix to this problem is making sure you install the official ASUS VGA Driver for NVIDIA
    from the official website. DO NOT update the driver and preferably do not install GeForce Еxperience since it can mess up your driver version as well.

It's a bit stupid that in order to use my laptop without having it crash when on battery power I am required to use an outdated driver, but I guess I can live with that.

This fix may not be your fix, but make sure to give it a go.

And make sure to first uninstall the old NVIDIA drivers (physx included) just in case. Hope it helps!

Smokesick, Jan 5, 2018
  3. BSOD Driver Power State Failure Caused by ntoskrnl.exe (Windows 10)

Hi again.

Just wanted to respond to tell you that over the past 4 days, I haven't received a blue screen. I have tried to trigger the blue screen the way it has happened the last two times and it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully it is gone for good.

Can't thank you enough!

Adriano Matos, Jan 5, 2018
  4. BSOD caused by NTOSKRNL.exe - Driver Power State Failure

What ever software waking your computer from sleep state is the one causing the BSOD error, check the Event Viewer logs to found out what has wake your computer that cause the BSOD.

Open the Event Viewer by typing Event Viewer into Start Menu.
    View Event ID 1 and 42 for Wake and Sleep
    "They are Event 1 and Event 42 (wake and sleep, respectively).
    Open the Event Viewer and expand "Windows Logs" then click on the 'System' event log.
    Right-click, and then choose "Filter Current Log".
    Input the event id 1 and 42 number into input box above the "Task category" input box.
    In the "Event sources" window, click the drop-down and put a check-mark beside "Power-Troubleshooter" and"Kernel-Power" and then click "OK.
    You will see listing of wake & sleep events and look at the the "General" tab at the very bottom for each Event ID 1 for wake events the wake source will be shown it will be display at the "Wake Source: " entry.

FreeBooter, Jan 5, 2018
  5. I tried this, but the only wake and sleep events occur hours before the crash itself. I rand the HP Hardware test and it looks like the Video Memory is the issue.

ConceptEight, Jan 5, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    Please run this log collector and post a zip into the thread:
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

The software products Whocrashed and Bluescreenview can analyze dumps. The tools that we use can perform a deeper analysis of the dump files as we can run various commands on the files to debug them.

Open the HP bios UEFI diagnostics by powering on the computer and repetitively clicking the F2 key.
    Open the HP UEFI diagnostic logs.
    Using a camera or smart phone camera take a picture and post the image into the thread.
    If there are any problems posting an image please use one drive or drop box share links.
    HP has the log information to decipher their codes.

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BSOD caused by NTOSKRNL.exe - Driver Power State Failure

1. BSOD caused by NTOSKRNL.exe - Driver Power State Failure - Similar Threads - BSOD caused NTOSKRNL

2. BSOD Driver Power State Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Driver Power State Failure: Please help me I'm so desperate about this one, so here's my problem.I can't update my NVIDIA Drivers without getting BSOD Driver Power State Failure no matter what I do I have to get that first, I've tried to clean install NVIDIA Drivers still the same.I'm using Bitdefender...
  3. BSOD - Driver Power State Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - Driver Power State Failure: I seem to get a BSOD after restarting or hard resetting my PC. This has been happening for quite a while and was happening on Windows 10 prior to 11. Please let me know what you find. Mini Dump - 051323-6843-01.dmpThanks!...
  4. Driver Power State Failure BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Driver Power State Failure BSOD: My laptop keeps shutting off with the Driver Power State Failure, even if I just leave it alone.I got the crashdumps and analyzed with WinDbg and got the following:DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time. Arguments:...
  5. BSOD: DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD: DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE: Hello,I've been attempting to repair a device for some time with no luck. Laptop is a Dell Precision 5560 Device powers on successfully and runs 2-10 minutes before returning the BSOD Driver Power State Failure.I have updated the BIOS, reinstalled the OS using Dell's built in...
  6. BSOD: DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE

BSOD: DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE: Hello,I've been attempting to repair a device for some time with no luck. Laptop is a Dell Precision 5560 Device powers on successfully and runs 2-10 minutes before returning the BSOD Driver Power State Failure.I have updated the BIOS, reinstalled the OS using Dell's built in...
  7. driver power state failure BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    driver power state failure BSOD: I have been experiencing a BSOD since 15 days randomly sometimes once a day sometimes 5 times a dayI have tried looking over the net for all possible solutions but haven't found any.attaching the dump filehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/25yjxbxe8ukgzt9/021622-11578-01.dmp?dl=0...
  8. BSOD-Driver power state failure

BSOD-Driver power state failure: Hi all, I've been experiencing a BSOD issue with the code: driver power state failure when I restart my newly bought desktop. I have a USB WiFi dapater, mouse and keyboard connected to the desktop. I am positive that the USB WiFi dapater and its driver are fine because I sent...
  9. BSOD - DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE

BSOD - DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE: Greetings to all. Since I bought my notebook, the BSOD - DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE happens everyday, more than 1 year. I reinstalled Windows several times and the bsod insists. I feel like I´ve tried everything. Here´s the files...
  10. BSoD [ DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE ] caused by ntoskrnl.exe

BSoD [ DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE ] caused by ntoskrnl.exe: Today, all of a sudden my laptop froze and a BSoD appeared saying "DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE". I used BlueScreenView and found that ntoskrnl.exe is the main culprit. However I always keep my drivers updated, installing Windows Updates regularly, cleaning registers daily,...