Windows 10: BSOD crash when connecting Kindle, error involves partmanager.sys

Discus and support BSOD crash when connecting Kindle, error involves partmanager.sys in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've had a Kindle paperwhite for a few years no and never had an issue with connecting it via USB. However, after the recent Windows 10 updates, my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Pooka, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Pooka Win User

BSOD crash when connecting Kindle, error involves partmanager.sys

I've had a Kindle paperwhite for a few years no and never had an issue with connecting it via USB. However, after the recent Windows 10 updates, my computer BSOD's and force restarts almost as soon as I plug my Kindle in. Other storage devices I've tried (phone and PSVita) haven't had the same problem.

The error message on BSOD states "system thread exception not handled" and refers to partmanager.sys

I have include the DM log zip file.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have also run a program called WhoCrashed, which provided this information:

System Information (local)
    Computer name: HEATHLAPTOP
    Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14393
    Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
    Hardware: K73SV, ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz Intel586, level: 6
    4 logical processors, active mask: 15
    RAM: 6350340096 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis
    Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 15-Aug-16 3:21:02 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081516-30890-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: partmgr.sys (partmgr+0x191D)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80AB716191D, 0xFFFFDD00D3D0D478, 0xFFFFDD00D3D0CCA0)
    Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Partition driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 15-Aug-16 3:21:02 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80AB716191D, 0xFFFFDD00D3D0D478, 0xFFFFDD00D3D0CCA0)
    Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 15-Aug-16 3:05:45 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081516-37765-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80E96A3191D, 0xFFFF9F81F0D94478, 0xFFFF9F81F0D93CA0)
    Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Mon 15-Aug-16 2:58:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081516-39203-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803E07B191D, 0xFFFFC181EA13B478, 0xFFFFC181EA13ACA0)

:)

Pooka, Aug 14, 2016

2. Plugging in Kindle is crashing windows 10 after summer update

I already replied to this on page 4 of this thread saying:

"I have a Kindle Voyage purchased last summer.

"I also have a new Windows 10 computer purchased in May, with the Anniversary update applied.

"My Kindle Voyage has been connected via USB dozens of times since the update with no problem.

"HOWEVER, my friend's brand new Kindle Voyage, purchased earlier this month, crashes my computer with the BSOD using my same connector cord and same 2 USB ports (I tried both ports).

"So maybe it is some kind of "hardware" difference that has been changed in the Kindle Voyage in the last 12 months.

"The only noticeable differences between the 2 Kindles is that mine is WiFi and 3G and my friend's is WiFi only.

"And I use the List View to display my books and my friend uses Grid View."

Well just now the following occurred with my own Kindle Voyage on the same computer - I only describe it in case any Microsoft Techs hang out here and it might be helpful:

I plugged my Kindle Voyage into USB and all was well. I later "ejected" it but kept it plugged in so it would charge while I worked.

I needed to plug it in again, so unplugged it from USB, and plugged it in again ... and got the BSOD and restart.

After I restarted, I connected it again ... and got another BSOD and restart.

Then I noticed that the Kindle's WiFi was turned on - I usually only have it turned on when I need to download something from Amazon.

I turned off Wifi ... and after the 2nd BSOD restart, fearfully plugged it in again ... and all was well as it has always been.

So maybe Wifi being turned on or off has some kind of effect on this BSOD business ... it certainly does with my particular Kindle Voyage!

NancyLinsley, Aug 14, 2016
  3. P17ru Win User
    Plugging in Kindle is crashing windows 10 after summer update

The same issue applies to older Kindles as well - plugging in my Kindle Keyboard 3rd Gen also = immediate BSOD after 7+ years of no problems whatsoever. Looking forward to speedy fix...

Btw, connecting usb modems like Vodafone K4510-z also result in BSOD. Help!

P17ru, Aug 14, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Please remove all pirated programs and such from your system before we can start troubleshooting.
    The Forum Rules is meant for everything regarding piracy
    • Discussing it,
    • Asking for guidance,
    • Asking for a crack,
    • The use of it,
    • Etc.

5. Pooka Win User
    Not a problem. Are you able to tell me exactly which programs I'll need to remove?

Pooka, Aug 15, 2016
  6. Pooka Win User
    I'll be honest, this laptops well old and I don't remember a few things. I know Office and Photoshop are the two main offenders, but is there anything else?

Pooka, Aug 16, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    That would be something you need to check, many illegal activations are done through exploits which we cannot find easily.

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD crash when connecting Kindle, error involves partmanager.sys - Similar Threads - BSOD crash connecting

2. BSOD - qcwlan64.sys error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - qcwlan64.sys error: Dear Community,After reinstalling and fully updating windows 11 on a lenovo thinkpad laptop I get repeated and very frequent bsod errors with no stop number but reference to file qcwlan64.sys. I checked qualcom drivers via Windows Decice Manager but windows indicates most...
  3. BSOD - qcwlan64.sys error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD - qcwlan64.sys error: Dear Community,After reinstalling and fully updating windows 11 on a lenovo thinkpad laptop I get repeated and very frequent bsod errors with no stop number but reference to file qcwlan64.sys. I checked qualcom drivers via Windows Decice Manager but windows indicates most...
  4. Update requested regarding the BSOD error involving netwlv64.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Update requested regarding the BSOD error involving netwlv64.sys: I see that BSOD errors involving Driver IRQL not less or equal / netwlv64.sys were a frequent subject of discussion between 2013 and 2016, involving computers running Windows 8 and Windows 10. I am asking if there has been any progress regarding a fix? I recently bought a...
  5. Countless BSoD errors mainly involving drivers

Countless BSoD errors mainly involving drivers: I just built my first pc a couple of weeks ago and since I have built it and installed windows then I have had countless BSoD errors mainly involving drivers. I have checked the memory dumps and the BSoD errors usually are: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED...
  6. BSOD involving ntoskrnl.exe

BSOD involving ntoskrnl.exe: Hello, I had a BSOD involving ntoskrnl.exe. Here is the DMP file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qxZWGzvPLBrP9GeOHrAHfMi1xBNGqvHA/view?usp=sharing Any help would be much welcome!...
  7. Windows 10 crashes when Amazon Kindle is connected

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 crashes when Amazon Kindle is connected: [ATTACH]Some PC users might experience a crash with a BSOD message whenever Amazon Kindle is connected to a Windows 10 computer. It was noted that […] This article Windows 10 crashes when Amazon Kindle is connected first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. rtwlane02.sys BSOD error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    rtwlane02.sys BSOD error: Hi. I was playing a game on my computer. However after a while my computer crashed. It was a bsod rtwlane02.sys failed. It also had PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error message too. I cant access my desktop to try and update my drivers. I have access to the cmd though. My...
  9. connect to a kindle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    connect to a kindle: hi there,i need my password which I use to connect to the internet for me to use a new kindle but I do not know I can get it...urgent please.....gerald
  10. Kindle will not connect to computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Kindle will not connect to computer: Since the latest Windows 10 update I have been unable to download ebooks from my computer to my kindle. I last transferred a book just before the update, so I am sure that is the problem. The kindle connects to the computer. The light on the kindle shows it connected and it...