Windows 10: BSOD crash with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant boot or run sfc /scannow

Discus and support BSOD crash with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant boot or run sfc /scannow in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; not sure I can run dm log collector from recovery console? My desktop PC with 32-bit Windows 10 has crashed at version 10.0.17134.0. It worked fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Telenochek, May 20, 2018.

1. BSOD crash with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant boot or run sfc /scannow

not sure I can run dm log collector from recovery console?

My desktop PC with 32-bit Windows 10 has crashed at version 10.0.17134.0. It worked fine for a few days after the upgrade to version 10.0.17134.0, and I was not using the PC at the time of the crash. It now starts up "attempting automatic repair", "diagnosing your PC" and ending with "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC".

My windows 10 installed on C: drive used to be version 10.0.17134.0 but is now 10.0.16299.15, after I tried going back to a previous version to try and fix the problem.
    I also have a 10.0.17134.1 version bootable USB drive, which is 0.1 newer than win 10.0.17134.0

Things I've tried so far:
    1) Running ESET and Kaspersky anti-virus and anti-rootkit scanners from separate bootable USB drives. No problems found
    2) Standard windows Automatic repair from the C: drive, no luck
    3) Standard windows Automatic repair from a bootable USB drive, which has the latest edition of windows 10, no luck

4) chkdsk /f /r from the system C: drive
    this refuses to run due to
    "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"
    I assume it is because I'm running recovery on it?

5) chkdsk c: /f /r from the bootable USB drive works fine:
    “Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems”

6) sfc /scannow from C:\windows\system32 - this fails without even trying to scan with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

I went into regedit, found that the ProgramFilesDir key was pointing to X:\Program Files, not C:\Program Files
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]

sfc /scannow now completes 100% (instead of reporting the error right away), however at the end it still shows the error below:
    "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" after the 100% completion.

I looked through the cbs.log and it looks like there are some hash errors found in dlls, but the dll fixes are not applied. On second, third, fourth SFC scans the same errors are found - hence confirmed that they are not fixed.

7) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
    from USB bootable image, shows error:
    "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

I was not able to get around the error, even though sfc /scannow at least executes to 100% completion from C: drive, but not from bootable usb.

tried:
    ICACLS C:\Windows\winsxs , this completed fine,
    but SFC still reports
    "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

8) from C:\windows\system32
    dism /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

This initially fails with error 50
    ‘Error 50 DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option’
    I'm able to get around this error by following instructions here, via regedit and WinNT key
    Fix: Error 50 DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option - Appuals.com

However, once I get past error 50, I get another error after DISM completes with 100%
    DISM Error: 1, incorrect function
    I googled a variety of issues for errors inside the DISM .log , but didn't find anything actionable.

Since the standard fixes don't seem to work, I thought it would be a good idea to get professional help here on the forums.

It seems like fixing SFC /scannow would be the first priority.
    cbs.txt is attached from the sfc /scannow executed from C: drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I don't want to do a clean reinstall at this time.

Thank you,
    Tele

:)

Telenochek, May 20, 2018

2. Critical_Process_Died BSOD

Hi,

In order to resolve your concern, we suggest that you to follow these steps:

• If you've installed any new apps or devices, uninstall or unplug them and restart your PC.
    • Make sure your PC has the latest updates:
    • Go to the search box.
    • Type Windows Update then Enter.
    • Select Check for updates.
    • In the Settings menu, select Check for updates button.
    • When it's finished, restart your PC.

You may also check this
    link
    for more troubleshooting steps regarding critical_process_died error message.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, May 21, 2018
  3. RobNorton Win User
    Windows 10 sfc /scannow cannot repair

I also have sfc/scannow reporting an issue with opencl, with no problems on my PC. There's whole thread on tenforums about the sfc/scannow opencl problem: SFC Corrupt Issue Regarding OpenCl.dll Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Quoting from the last post:

"Well you have the exact same card as I am running on Windows 10. The problem with Opencl.dll is only a Microsoft problem, and when you run SFC /scannow it reports it. If this is the only problem sfc finds, then do not worry about it. Your system will run
    just fine. Now, their IS some good news about this issue. Some of our members who are in the Insider program, and are running newer versions of future windows updates, (beta) have reported that the issue with Opencl IS FIXED. This means that finally Microsoft
    has addressed this issue and fixed it. Also thou means that unless you are in the Insider program and testing future windows releases. You and I are going to have to wait a while longer until MS gives us this fix in a future update. But, just knowing that
    Microsoft has finally fixed this issue is good news for me, even if I have to wait a while longer for it to appear in an update. "

It doesn't seem like this opencl issue is the root cause of all your bsod problems. I suggest you try looking at the threads in the tenforums regarding bsod's to see how to identify the issue: BSOD Crashes and Debugging - Windows 10 Forums

RobNorton, May 21, 2018
Thema:

BSOD crash with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant boot or run sfc /scannow

1. BSOD crash with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant boot or run sfc /scannow - Similar Threads - BSOD crash CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

2. sfc\scannow was just run.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc\scannow was just run.: i ran sfc /scannow after it say windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them for online Repairs details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\logs\CBS\CBS.logs. for example c:\windowns\logs\CBS.log for oflinerapirs details are...
  3. sfc\scannow was just run.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc\scannow was just run.: i ran sfc /scannow after it say windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them for online Repairs details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\logs\CBS\CBS.logs. for example c:\windowns\logs\CBS.log for oflinerapirs details are...
  4. Cannot run sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot run sfc /scannow: Hi,Believing my Windows installation had some missing or corrupted files, I tried to run sfc /scannow in my command prompt. But I got the error message: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.I already tried to:- Run the command prompt as...
  5. Cannot run sfc /scannow

Cannot run sfc /scannow: Hi,Believing my Windows installation had some missing or corrupted files, I tried to run sfc /scannow in my command prompt. But I got the error message: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.I already tried to:- Run the command prompt as...
  6. Cannot run sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. cannot run sfc / scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot run sfc / scannow: In cmd prompt I get this message when attempting to run sfc/scannow:"you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use sfc/scannnow"How do I resolve this?...
  8. cannot run sfc / scannow

cannot run sfc / scannow: In cmd prompt I get this message when attempting to run sfc/scannow:"you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use sfc/scannnow"How do I resolve this?...
  9. BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode: TL:DR: Can't boot (even into safe mode) after removing device 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' (and uninstalling its drivers). Getting critical_process_died BSOD. My specs: Mobo ASRock Z77 Pro4, CPU i5 3570k I had my integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000) disabled because it gave...
  10. Cannot run SFC/scannow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot run SFC/scannow: Dear all, Tried all sorts of remedies for above problem, nothing seems to work. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-run-sfcscannow/85432df1-6503-4753-bdd6-932c282071ca