Windows 10: BSOD Critical Process Died (mostly)

Discus and support BSOD Critical Process Died (mostly) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Dear all, I am using a Lenovo Y510P, originally installed with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 in July and it worked fine-ish up until now. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dorebase2006, Nov 2, 2015.

1. BSOD Critical Process Died (mostly)

Dear all,

I am using a Lenovo Y510P, originally installed with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 in July and it worked fine-ish up until now. I have recently (for the past few days) encountered quite frequent BSODs, most of the time with the code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I have looked through various threads in the forum but I'm not sure if they are applicable to my situation, because I actually had no idea what the cause was. I tried clean-resetting Windows 10 but the error kept recurring. It happened really randomly, sometimes when I was browsing the web in Chrome, sometimes when I was typing something in Skype, or in Microsoft Word, or sometimes when I just tried to refresh the desktop. So there's really no predicting when it is going to happen *Sad

I have uploaded the requested files. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

P/s: After rebooting from BSOD, for some reason the system does not recognise any bootable device (and so it tries and fails to boot from my network?). But when I hard-reset the computer by holding the power button the system can boot into Windows again. I used to have grub2 bootloader for my Ubuntu, but after the first of such BSODs it died, somehow, so the system just booted straight into Windows from then on. I'm wondering if this information is going to be of help.

:)

dorebase2006, Nov 2, 2015
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, Nov 2, 2015
  3. Cannot find/create dumps to upload for crash support

Yes, I am still crashing. Most often ends on bsod: critical process died. If not that, then on a red screen that is followed by shutdown.

Thanks again!

Charlie R S, Nov 2, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

BSOD Critical Process Died (mostly)

Hi dorebase2006,

Welcome to the 10forums.

Although you have installed Windows, I would like to try a method that is related to the software so we can immediately determine if it is a hardware or software problem.

BSOD Critical Process Died (mostly) [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    Clean boot
    Please try the following:
    • Open taskmanager
      • Go to the tab startup
      • disable everything
    • Search msconfig and open it
      • Go to the tab services
      • Check 'hide microsoft services'
      • Uncheck all other services
      • Click apply and click ok
    • Reboot if asked
    See if the problem persist, if the problem does not persist enable in the startup tab in taskmanager 1 item and in the services tab in msconfig also 1 service, reboot and see if the problem persist. Keep doing this until you find the culprit or there is nothing left.
    If the problem still persist, try booting in safe mode and see if the problem still persist.

If even in safe mode you still get crashes, it means a hardware problem.
    Usually it would be a hard drive causing problems, but it could also be the CPU.
    If the hard drive has problems, the data cannot be read properly from the hard drive which could cause a process to not function properly as the data could be corrupted or something.
    If the CPU has problems, it cannot execute the data properly which relates to a process missing data.

Diagnostics Test
    HDD & SSD TEST

Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.

Run chkdsk Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

Diagnostic Test
    CPU TEST

Run Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU - Windows 10 Forums

Note If you're overclocking anything, please stop it and set everything back to default while troubleshooting

Warning Your CPU temperatures will rise quickly while under this stress test. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if overheating occurs.

axe0, Nov 2, 2015
  5. Hi axe0,

Thank you for your reply. I've performed a clean boot and so far no BSODs have been experienced. So I guess it must have something to do with one (or some) of those drivers that Windows automatically installed (because I haven't installed any 3rd-party drivers yet). I have also run SeaTools with three different tests (Short Drive Self Test, Short Generic, Long Generic) and all were passed. I have also stress-tested my CPU with Prime95 for 3 hours and no failures were detected. So I suppose my CPU and hard drive are in a good state. I will probably try to enable the start-up processes one by one to see which one is responsible for the crashing and let you know if there's any update.

Thanks again!!

dorebase2006, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BSOD Critical Process Died (mostly)

1. BSOD Critical Process Died (mostly) - Similar Threads - BSOD Critical Process

2. Critical Process Died - BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Process Died - BSOD: Hello,There was a blackout, and upon starting my computer, I was greeted with the blue screen of death, with the only message being "Critical Process Died."I attempted all the recovery options available:Safe mode gives the same error; critical process diedchkdsk /r completed,...
  3. BSOD Critical Process Died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Critical Process Died: I accidently installed a new audio driver which ended up messing up my system. I did a system restore and the PC booted as normal. I shut the computer off when I went for dinner. When I returned to turn the computer back on, I got the BSOD with the critical process died. I...
  4. BSoD Critical process died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD Critical process died: Hello. A month ago I ran into a problem - Windows 10, a BSoD with an Error: Critical Process Died began to appear. I decided to upgrade to Windows 11, because my laptop is made for this system. After updating to a new system, periodically again began to knock out a blue...
  5. BSoD Critical process died

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD Critical process died: Hello. A month ago I ran into a problem - Windows 10, a BSoD with an Error: Critical Process Died began to appear. I decided to upgrade to Windows 11, because my laptop is made for this system. After updating to a new system, periodically again began to knock out a blue...
  6. BSOD Critical Process Died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Critical Process Died: Hi,Since yesterday, i have been having issues with my PC. It keeps on going to a BSOD Critical Process Died. I have google this up and followed the sfc /scannow and other methods, but none work. Sometimes my pc freezes after i type in my pin, other times it lets me sign in,...
  7. Critical Process Died bsod

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical Process Died bsod: I am stuck in an automatic repair loop, can’t uninstall updates, can’t system restore even with restore point, I have reset bios multiple times, no system image recovery, multiple different scans yet no problem found, no idea what is wrong with pc and not even being able to...
  8. Critical Process Died bsod

Critical Process Died bsod: I am stuck in an automatic repair loop, can’t uninstall updates, can’t system restore even with restore point, I have reset bios multiple times, no system image recovery, multiple different scans yet no problem found, no idea what is wrong with pc and not even being able to...
  9. BSOD Critical Process Died

BSOD Critical Process Died: My PC BSOD'ed 5 times in a row now, here's a link to the minidump files https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuFFvdJOMwSV0mzAdR1EmCi8nWBR?e=ynEBa6 Can I get a help on what's going on? I just had an update last night btw, so I'm not sure if that's somehow related. Thanks...
  10. BSOD - Critical Process Died

BSOD - Critical Process Died: Hi, could anyone check on my BSOD logs? I get the feeling it might be a hardware issue as I have reinstalled OS multiple times already and it still occurs. Thanks! BSOD sometimes shows CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. Though I do notice sometimes it showed UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION....