Windows 10: BSOD, Critical Structure Corruption

Discus and support BSOD, Critical Structure Corruption in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I followed the "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant" to upgrade a PC from Windows 7 (home edition) to Windows 10 approximately a week ago.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by wx8348, Aug 7, 2016.

1. wx8348 Win User

BSOD, Critical Structure Corruption

Hi there,

I followed the "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant" to upgrade a PC from Windows 7 (home edition) to Windows 10 approximately a week ago. Unfortunately, since the change, the PC became rather unstable, seeing daily BSOD, sometimes every 10 min, all with the error message as "Critical Structure Corruption". After the BSOD, the PC restarts itself normally, and enter the windows 10 normal mode. Would you please let me know what may cause the BSOD, and how to solve the problem.

Thank you very much!

The PC information is listed here:
    General Information

Service Tag
    CDWPLM1 Express Service Code
    26962390441 Computer Model
    Inspiron 570 BIOS Vendor
    Dell Inc. BIOS Version
    A01 BIOS Date
    1/25/2010 OS Version
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Processor

Manufacturer
    AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor Clock Speed
    2.8Ghz L2 Cache Size

Memory

Available Memory
    57.41 % Page File Size
    11,775.0MB Available Page File
    100.00 % Virtual Memory
    11,775.0MB Available Virtual Memory
    77.11 % DIMM0
    1,024.0MB DIMM1
    1,024.0MB DIMM2
    2,048.0MB DIMM3
    2,048.0MB

Network Card

Adaptor
    Description Adaptor
    Description

Storage

Drive
    C: Type
    3 Drive Size
    919.7GB Total Available Space
    753.8GB Used Space
    165.9GB Drive
    D: Type
    5 Drive Size
    Total Available Space
    Used Space

Hardware

Type
    Description DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7230S Disk Drives
    SAMSUNG HD103SJ Display Adapters
    ATI Radeon HD 4200 IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    Standard SATA AHCI Controller Keyboards,Mice & Pointing Devices
    Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 (left handed) Monitors
    Dell_ST2310_Analog Sound Devices
    ATI High Definition Audio Device
    Realtek Audio

:)

wx8348, Aug 7, 2016
  2. curly245 Win User

critical structure corruption windows 10

i got a critical structure corruption bsod does anyone know how to fix this?

curly245, Aug 7, 2016
  3. PC Constantly crashing in Windows 10

Latest BSOD came today as a surprise..I was actually able to use the PC for about 2 hours without an incident and then BSOD error critical structure corruption, or something along those lines..

bigbensteel, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

The 8/8 8:10 dump doesn't show much.

I did notice you are running mixed memory which can often cause strange problem.

Code: [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 28 - Handle 000fh] Physical Memory Array Handle 000dh Memory Error Info Handle [Not Provided] Total Width 64 bits Data Width 64 bits Size 1024MB Form Factor 09h - DIMM Device Set [None] Device Locator DIMM0 Bank Locator BANK0 Memory Type 18h - Specification Reserved Type Detail 0080h - Synchronous Speed 1066MHz Manufacturer Kingston Serial Number Asset Tag Number Part Number KTW149-ELD [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 28 - Handle 0011h] Physical Memory Array Handle 000dh Memory Error Info Handle [Not Provided] Total Width 64 bits Data Width 64 bits Size 1024MB Form Factor 09h - DIMM Device Set [None] Device Locator DIMM1 Bank Locator BANK1 Memory Type 18h - Specification Reserved Type Detail 0080h - Synchronous Speed 1066MHz Manufacturer Kingston Serial Number Asset Tag Number Part Number KTW149-ELD [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 28 - Handle 0013h] Physical Memory Array Handle 000dh Memory Error Info Handle [Not Provided] Total Width 64 bits Data Width 64 bits Size 2048MB Form Factor 09h - DIMM Device Set [None] Device Locator DIMM2 Bank Locator BANK2 Memory Type 18h - Specification Reserved Type Detail 0080h - Synchronous Speed 1066MHz Manufacturer Nanya Serial Number Asset Tag Number Part Number NT2GC64B8HC0NF-CG ] [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 28 - Handle 0015h] Physical Memory Array Handle 000dh Memory Error Info Handle [Not Provided] Total Width 64 bits Data Width 64 bits Size 2048MB Form Factor 09h - DIMM Device Set [None] Device Locator DIMM3 Bank Locator BANK3 Memory Type 18h - Specification Reserved Type Detail 0080h - Synchronous Speed 1066MHz Manufacturer Nanya Serial Number Asset Tag Number Part Number NT2GC64B8HC0NF-CG[/quote] I suggest removing the two 1GB memory modules and run with the two 2GB modules, see how that goes. If still problems, test your RAM:

===================================================
    RAM:

Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

BSOD, Critical Structure Corruption [​IMG]
    Information

MemTest86+
    is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
    • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
    • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

Warning
    MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ by a Ten Forums member make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

Note
    MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.

Ztruker, Aug 8, 2016
  5. wx8348 Win User
    Dear Ztruker,

Thanks so much for the help.

I removed the two 1GB memory modules and run the machine with two 2GB memory modules as you suggested. Unfortunately, the computer still experiences similar frequency of "Critical Structure Corruption" and BSOD. I have attached the updated dump file to help further troubleshoot.

I have also did the memory test with memtest86. As shown in the image below, no errors were found for the RAMs.
    Attachment 97532

In the past with Windows 7, this computer was very reliable. I haven't seen BSOD with this computer with Windows 7. The BSOD issues arose only after I updated the computer to Windows 10. Since last post, I have also updated the computer to the latest Windows 10 version with "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant". But the upgrade did not solve the BSOD (critical structure corruption) either.

Could you provide further suggestions? Your help is much appreciated!

wx8348, Aug 21, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    I suspect the problem is the ATI Radeon HD 4200 video chip the laptop has. It's no longer supported so there is no Windows 10 specific driver for it. The driver you have, Version: 8.970.100.9001 is the one recommend. Nothing in any of the dumps (all the same, all Bugcheck 109) indicates a problem with it so this is just a hunch on my part as many people are using it successfully with Windows 10.

You have a lot of software installed that I've never heard of but for the little I did find they mostly seem to be technical. You could try doing a Clean Boot (not Clean Install) and run for awhile, see if the problem goes away. If yes then something starting at boot time is the cause of the BSOD, so follow the directions in this link to isolate the cause:

How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

If that doesn't show anything then you can try stress testing the CPU and GPU, see if anything pops up there:
    Follow this tutorial to stress test your CPU:
    Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU - Windows 10 Forums

Follow this tutorials to stress test your GPU:
    FurMark - GPU Stress Test - Windows 10 Forums

If you have a AMD APU instead of a discreet GPU, try UNIGINE 3D Benchmark..

Ztruker, Aug 21, 2016
  7. wx8348 Win User
    Dear Ztruker,

I followed your advice and tested the clean boot with the system. Unfortunately, after three weeks' observation, it does not seem that the clean boot prevents the issue of BSOD "critical structure corruption". I have attached the updated DM log file for you to help troubleshoot.

I was able to test the Prime95 to examine the CPU. I did not notice any errors.

Attachment 101157

However, I was not able to get through the FurMark test after repeated attempts. Each time, the system restarts itself in the middle of the test. If the suspicious part is the "ATI Radeon HD 4200 video chip" as you mentioned, I wonder if the failure of the GPU test may give further hints.

For this computer, I am not requesting any fancy functions. I normally use it to check email, listen to music and watch news and video online. Nonetheless, a stable operation system is crucial to perform these daily tasks.

Your further advice is much appreciated.

wx8348, Sep 12, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Nothing useful in the dump, rats.

I did notice your BIOS is old, BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A01, 1/25/2010.
    There is a A06 version available: Product Support | Dell US

Attachment 101289

Download and install it, see if that helps the problem.

Ztruker, Sep 13, 2016
  9. wx8348 Win User
    Dear Ztruker,

Thank you for your advice. I attempted the installation of the latest BIOS version as you suggested.

Attachment 103728

Unfortunately, after updating the BIOS version, I am still seeing the BSOD with the error of critical structure corruption with the computer. I have attached the updated DM log file, hoping that you could provide further suggestions.

Thanks again.

wx8348, Sep 29, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Nothing useful in the dump unfortunately. Looking at eventlog.txt, I see this:

The SouMao PinYin IME Update Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 28 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 4000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

If this means anything to you and is software you have installed, try uninstalling it. If you need it, see if there is a new version available.

Also saw several entries like this:

The system time has changed to ?2016?-?09?-?30T01:55:09.500000000Z from ?2016?-?09?-?29T07:55:05.969841800Z.

See if replacing the CR2032 CMOS battery fixes this.

Ztruker, Sep 30, 2016
  11. wx8348 Win User
    Dear Ztruker,

Thanks again for your guidance and the patience. I am happy to update that the PC appears to have improved stability (i.e. less frequent BSOD) after all these adjustment. However, more work is required for the full fix.

First, to respond to previous comment, "SouMao PinYin IME Update Servic" is resultant from certain malware. These malware were installed when I was trying to installed other valid software previously in this PC. I did not know these malware exist until you pointed out. Thanks! Using the "Task scheduler" function in Windows 10, I was able to terminate all these unnecessary malware scheduled tasks. I also searched the names of these malware in this PC, and make sure that these malware are completely removed from the PC.

Second, by further looking at eventlog.txt myself, I confirmed that the rebooting cause is "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000109". This bug is consistent with "critical structure corruption". Since the incorrectly configured drivers are the common causes of the bug 109, I further tested the driver verifier function, using the following settings (8 checks).

Attachment 106160

I was able to locate a driver violation Mpfp.sys. This is where I need your help again. Do you have suggestions how to remove Mpfp.sys. I attempted to use McAfee removal tool MCPR.exe, but the Mpfp.sys is still here.

I have also attached the latest log dump file in case it may be helpful for troubleshooting.

I haven't tried the battery replacement yet, because at this point I still don't want to do too much surgery on this PC. I suspect that the clock change could be caused by certain malware function.

Thanks!

wx8348, Oct 14, 2016
  12. Ztruker Win User
    I don't see any indication of mpfp.sys in any of the recent dumps of the collected files.

I see this in the 10/15 11:32 dump:
    Code: BugCheck C4, {2000, fffff806319a8d9c, 0, 646d6342} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for k57nd60a.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for k57nd60a.sys[/quote] That belongs to your Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet adapter driver. If there is no newer version, try uninstalling the current one via Device Manager then reboot and let Windows rediscover it and reload the driver.

I see this in the 10/15 12:18 dump:
    Code: BugCheck C4, {2000, fffff80097a96021, 0, 6d437a41} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for AtiHdmi.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for AtiHdmi.sys Probably caused by : AtiHdmi.sys ( AtiHdmi+6021 )[/quote] This belongs to ATI High Definition Audio Function Driver though I don't see one installed on your system.

The 10/15 12:04 dump shows GEARAspiWDM.sys problem:
    Code: ffffbf01`5fd87110 fffff806`e12c01f8Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for GEARAspiWDM.sys GEARAspiWDM+0x1f8[/quote] Info: GEARAspiWDM.sys Windows process - What is it?

This has a 2012 date, quite old.

Ztruker, Oct 16, 2016
  13. wx8348 Win User

Dear Ztruker,

Since the last post, I have now tested the PC running in safe mode with over 12 hours. The good news is that I haven't received any BSOD in the safe mode. This observation is very encouraging to me. The safe mode I am using is the "safe mode with network", i.e. the F5 option in the advanced start up. Furthermore, I have also enabled the audio option in this safe mode, following the steps in this thread How to enable sound in Safe mode - Hawkdive. This setup allows me to watch video or listen to music in safe mode, although the image quality is not as high as that with the normal mode.

I have uploaded two dump files, one generated with the safe mode, and the other with the normal mode. (The normal mode I use is the clean boot condition.) I wonder what may be your insight related to the safe mode finding.

To reply the question in the last post, for k57nd60a.sys, AtiHdmi.sys, AtiHdmi.sys drivers, the most current versions are installed. I have also uninstalled the hardware in the device manager, and redetect them and reinstall them through windows 10 restart process. But these efforts did not alter the BSOD in the normal mode.

The AtiHdmi.sys is the driver currently used by "ATI high definition audio device".

In addition, two of the drivers in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers seem old to me. They are AtiHdmi.sys, with the software publishing date as Sep, 2009; AtiPcie.sys published in May 2009. AtiPcie.sys is used by AMD PCI Express (3GIO) Filter device. Unfortunately, I could not find further updated driver versions for AtiHdmi, or AtiPcie.

Thanks!

wx8348, Oct 23, 2016
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Not sure I understand. You say one of the dumps is from Safe Mode but you said Safe Mode works without any problems???

Do you get BSODs when you Clean Boot?

All the dumps are Bug Check 0x109: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION but none from 10/22 or 10/23 have any useful info in them.

What happens if you disable the ATI high definition audio device? If it's onboard, you could replace it with a PCI sound card.

Ztruker, Oct 24, 2016
  15. wx8348 Win User
    Dear Ztruker,

Thanks for the response.

The Safe Mode Windows 10 was tested on the PC for 2 days, and no BSOD was observed.

In contrast, the clean boot give BSODs. Compared with the full boot, the clean boot did not reduce the frequency of BSODs (this was mentioned in a previous post).

When the ATI high definition audio device is disabled, the PC was also observed with BSODs.

The dump.zip file generated with the Safe Mode contains the same BSOD information as the zip file generated with normal mode. However, I was hoping that there are could be other system information we could learn from the zip. For example, what programs are only enabled in clean boot, but not in the safe mode? These programs will be the candidate programs to track down, as they may be the potential cause of BSODs. I need your guidance to nail down these differential programs (safe mode vs clean boot).

Thanks again!

wx8348, Oct 24, 2016
Thema:

1. BSOD, Critical Structure Corruption - Similar Threads - BSOD Critical Structure

2. BSOD - critical structure corruption

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - critical structure corruption: I have not made any recent changes to my system, but I have noticed system instability I get Windows Explorer Not Responding quite often recently.I noticed in my event viewer before the last 2 BSODs that the event immediately preceding the BSOD both times was;The Windows...
  3. Critical structure corruption BSOD

Critical structure corruption BSOD: Hi, my pc keeps blue screening. The stopcode I always get is: Critical structure corruption. It happend when my pc updated weeks ago. I tried alot of ways to try fixing it, sadly no results. I went to event viewer and what it says is: The computer has rebooted from a...
  4. BSOD - Critical structure corruption

BSOD - Critical structure corruption: Hi all, Built a new pc with brand new parts. Been having 1 BSOD per day consistently for the past 3 weeks. It happens every few hours or so and while doing a variety of tasks. For eg once it happened while gaming, while afk with nothing opened, and once while on gmail....
  5. Critical Structure Corruption BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Critical Structure Corruption BSOD: Hey guys. Twice i've had a critical structure corruption bsod on my fairly new build (less than a month old). I have used WinDbg to get the following debugging details, i'm not knowledgeable about Windows Debugging so I'd be grateful if someone could help me out. Heres the...
  6. BSOD Critical Structure Corruption

BSOD Critical Structure Corruption: Dear all My laptop is quite new and i already got 3 times the Blue Screen failure with the message "Critical Structure Corruption" and then rebooted. I followed a few tutorial updating drivers, etc. and i still dont solve the issue I also checked the errors when this...
  7. BSOD Critical Structure Corruption

BSOD Critical Structure Corruption: Hi, This past weekend I have just installed Win 10 Pro on my system, so all drivers should be up to date, have no conflicts in Device Manager, but still got this BSOD. I have gathered the Dump and the Configuration and placed them in OneDrivehere. Can you help me understand...
  8. BSOD - Critical Structure Corruption

BSOD - Critical Structure Corruption: Good afternoon, Please can someone assist me. We purchased this laptop around 6-months ago seller refurbished. It is an HP G7 ProBook. The machine has suffered from countless BSODs but this latest error code is different. It says Critical Structure Corruption. The...
  9. BSOD - CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION

BSOD - CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION: Hi I updated my computer from W7 to W10. Sometimes, I get Bluescreen : CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION I open the Troubleshooter in Windows 10 and I get 2 things : First : L’ordinateur a redémarré après une vérification d’erreur. La vérification d’erreur était :...
  10. BSOD- Critical Structure Corruption

BSOD- Critical Structure Corruption: Hey, so built my own PC. Updated drivers with Nividia Geforce for GPU. Updated anything else I saw through device manager. Andddd BSOD visited me. I've done most of what I can find on the internet for solutions with no resolution yet. One thing I did see was telling me...