Windows 10: BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot

Discus and support BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! I've been having issues with a Critical_Process_Died BSOD for several weeks now and have already spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by J20DB, Nov 30, 2016.

1. J20DB Win User

BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot

Hello! I've been having issues with a Critical_Process_Died BSOD for several weeks now and have already spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting it, to no avail. The start of my problems did not coincide with any major hardware or software changes.

At first, I would only encounter a BSOD if I left my computer idling for a while - a few hours at least. Recently, I'm getting them several times an hour while I'm using my machine. Almost every time the error code is "Critical_Process_Died", although I've gotten "Unexpected_Store_Exception" twice. Each time, my computer has hung at 0% while it was supposed to be gathering data about the BSOD, and it fails to generate a dump file despite being set up to do so.

Every time my computer restarts itself after a BSOD, my boot drive (an Intel SSD) is missing from the boot devices list in the BIOS. When I then manually restart the computer with the power button, the drive shows up again and Windows boots normally.

I have tried to fix this problem with the following things:

- I have updated my BIOS, which had been out of date. There was no change in reliability.
    - I have checked all of my drivers; the only one that was not up to date was my graphics driver. Updating it did not help.
    - I have run SFC, CHKDSK, and DISM in command prompt; no errors have been found with these tools.
    - I have used CrystalDisk to check the health of my boot drive; it is reporting that there are no issues.
    - I have used the various repair tools in CCleaner and Reimage; neither has helped.
    - I have scanned my entire system with two different AV programs. One trojan was found, but removing it didn't fix my problem.
    - I have confirmed that my boot drive is operating in AHCI mode, not IDE.
    - I have run Windows Memory Diagnostics; no issues were found.
    - I have performed a clean boot with all non-MS services disabled. This seemed to delay the BSOD, but it still happened.

I have not yet tried performing a clean install or swapping out hardware. I use this computer for work and I'm in the middle of several projects, so I don't feel comfortable doing anything that might put my machine out of commission long enough to cause delays. Dealing with the constant BSODs is incredibly aggravating, but at least I'm able to still get my work done.

Is there anything I can try before going down that route? The lack of dumps is making this a major pain to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance!

Update December 1: This morning I got a BSOD while booting up: "Inaccessible_Boot_Device." I had selected the proper drive in the BIOS. This is the first time I've gotten a BSOD while booting.

Attachment 112091

:)

J20DB, Nov 30, 2016

2. Store_Exception error on BSOD

Not only store_exception but also i get critical_process_died bsod and computer reboots on its own. it mostly happens when the computer is idle for few minutes.I have never encountered bsod before. this is happening since i have cleaned up :c drive

Tanjim Mostafa, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.

Boot speed low to you Windows 10 Home not responding

That for Laptop try is CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Error is fix

YOUR TO SSD ERROR ON BSOD

How to Restart Install Windows Setup Try in USB BOOTABLE IS SPEED UP NO BSOD IS ERROR TO BLUE SCREEN IS PROBLEM SLOW BOOT PERFORMAMCE

DefriBO'AT, Nov 30, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

There are no dumps in the zip file you upload so not much we can do. Please do not run CCleaner or other hard drive cleanup tools until this is resolved at they usually erase dump (.dmp) files.

Or, if you want to continue to use CCleaner, make sure Memory Dumps and Windows Lof files are unchecked.

Attachment 112161

Ztruker, Dec 1, 2016
  5. J20DB Win User
    Thank you for the advice. However, I haven't run CCleaner in a while. Despite the fact that I have configured my computer to create dump files, they simply aren't being generated. I've had 16 BSODs today alone, and not a single dump file to be found.

J20DB, Dec 1, 2016
  6. J20DB Win User
    Update: I restored my machine to a system image I made when I received it 8 months ago, but that did not help. I am currently formatting the boot drive and doing a fresh install of the OS.

J20DB, Dec 1, 2016
  7. J20DB Win User
    Formatting my boot drive and doing a fresh install of the OS did not help. I'm now moving on to hardware troubleshooting...

J20DB, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot - Similar Threads - BSOD Critical_Process_Died Boot

2. BSOD - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: Hello Masters, Please help.. I have a problem with several users at work after installing Sophos anti-virus as follows: Dump File : 112620-10421-01.dmp Crash Time : 26/11/2020 08:42:26 Bug Check String : CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Bug Check Code :...
  3. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bsod

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bsod: Hi! I've been having bsod for quite some time now and decided to perform a clean Windows 10 install a few days ago as a last resort. Today it happened again.. I tried to get more information use windbg myself but couldn't find anything informative. Please help!...
  4. BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode: TL:DR: Can't boot (even into safe mode) after removing device 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' (and uninstalling its drivers). Getting critical_process_died BSOD. My specs: Mobo ASRock Z77 Pro4, CPU i5 3570k I had my integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000) disabled because it gave...
  5. Bsod critical_process_died

Bsod critical_process_died: I used this computer a couple of years with ubuntu. I do not think it crashed once. I then installed windows 10 pro to a new SSD and the problems started. BSOD are sporadic, sometimes days between, other times hours. Most BSOD happens when the computer is unattended. It...
  6. BSOD Critical_Process_Died (After booting into Safe Mode)

BSOD Critical_Process_Died (After booting into Safe Mode): This might not be the place to post this issue, but I'm not sure where else to put it. I'm having a problem with my computer that displays the "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly" error-thing when I try to boot it up. I already tried messing with the boot settings...
  7. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot

BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot: The BSOD happens whenever I disconnect a particular external HD from my SATA dock. On reboot, the error 0xc000000e accompanies a blue "Recovery" screen stating "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors....
  8. BSOD Critical_Process_Died

BSOD Critical_Process_Died: Hello, I have various BSOD Crashes. They occur during normal Browsing. Firstly it was a "Unexpected Store Exception" in the help in another Forum at that time ( 2 weeks ago ) we managed to do a perfect SFC-Scan and a perfect DISM-Scan, which apparantly did not...
  9. Bsod: Critical_process_died

Bsod: Critical_process_died: The BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED occurred while playing Spider Solitaire, which is by itself not a critical process. A BSOD was previously posted for this system, but while the system was using an SSD drive. I've returned to the original HDD to avoid the SSD-related BSODs....
  10. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot: Hi. My mom's laptop is crashing on boot with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. It boots in Safe Mode but most things are unresponsive: no windows menu, command prompt opens right away but admin prompt takes 10-20 minutes to open, so do task manager window, driver install...