Windows 10: BSOD Critical_Process_Died, error code ef

Discus and support BSOD Critical_Process_Died, error code ef in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have been struggling with this problem for quite some time now and have not found a way to fix it, so far I have tried doing a chkdsk and an sfc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by twinkytwink, Jan 28, 2017.

1. BSOD Critical_Process_Died, error code ef

I have been struggling with this problem for quite some time now and have not found a way to fix it, so far I have tried doing a chkdsk and an sfc /scannow as advised by other sites but unfortunately it hasn't help me much, although I will do them again if need be. The error occurs seemingly at random but I have noticed it mainly while on youtube, or chrome. I have included the file that was requested below.

:)

twinkytwink, Jan 28, 2017
  2. auggy Win User

Computer reboots with: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ef

The dmp file showed a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) stop error (BSOD).

The Release Notes for the Intel storage driver lists a resolved issue being a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) BSOD.

The S3/S4 would be related to sleep if you notice the error tends to occur more going into or out of sleep.

I believe the new driver would be very beneficial but as a general precaution you could create a System Restore Point beforehand.

auggy, Jan 28, 2017
  3. auggy Win User
    ntoskrnl.exe causing crashes and BSOD, even in safe mode

The memory.dmp showed a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) stop error that appeared to be from possible corruption with the ntdll.dll:

BugCheck EF, {ffffcb0e1e65d7c0, 0, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntdll.dll ( ntdll!RtlLookupFunctionEntry+18

Has the BSOD occurred since?

auggy, Jan 28, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

BSOD Critical_Process_Died, error code ef

All three dumps are identical and unfortunately don't have much useful data in them.
    Code: BugCheck EF, {ffff9808e8cb5080, 0, 0, 0} ETW minidump data unavailable Probably caused by : memory_corruption Followup: memory_corruption --------- 1: kd> !analyze -v ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) A critical system process died Arguments: Arg1: ffff9808e8cb5080, Process object or thread object Arg2: 0000000000000000, If this is 0, a process died. If this is 1, a thread died. Arg3: 0000000000000000 Arg4: 0000000000000000 MODULE_NAME: memory_corruption IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption FOLLOWUP_NAME: memory_corruption DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0 MEMORY_CORRUPTOR: LARGE FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE[/quote] This can be caused by defective memory or a driver that is corrupting storage. Looking at the Biostar web site for the TZ77D board, I see two drivers that were updated in 2016. Please download and install them if you have not already done so.

On-board Audio
    eHot-Line Utility

If that doesn't help then test your ram with memtest86+, I repeat, memtest86+, no other please. Follow these directioons:

===================================================
    Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

MemTest86+ is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
    • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
    • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

BSOD Critical_Process_Died, error code ef [​IMG]
    Warning MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ by a Ten Forums member make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

BSOD Critical_Process_Died, error code ef [​IMG]
    Note MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.

Take a picture when done and post in the forum please.

Ztruker, Jan 29, 2017
  5. Sorry for the late reply, it is exam season for me *Eek and today is my last so I had some time to run the test for you last night and here is what came up.
    Attachment 119288

twinkytwink, Jan 30, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Bad ram, now follow Part Three: Results & Extended Testing in the link I gave you to determine what is defective.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BSOD Critical_Process_Died, error code ef

1. BSOD Critical_Process_Died, error code ef - Similar Threads - BSOD Critical_Process_Died error

2. BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe with error code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe with error code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: So whenever I run a game my PC crashes with one of the following BSODs:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED happened 3-4 timesKERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR happened only onceUNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION happened the mostGames I tried are:Rocket LeagueMinecraftRobloxThings I tried to fix it:Ran...
  3. Multiple BSOD's of varying error codes. 3b, ef

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSOD's of varying error codes. 3b, ef: I've been having weird BSOD's over the past few weeks, been trying to troubleshoot on my own but clearly too stupid to understand the walls of text that are dump files, and lacking technical knowhow to do anything with what little I can figure out.I have 3 drives total, C...
  4. Multiple BSOD's of varying error codes. 3b, ef

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple BSOD's of varying error codes. 3b, ef: I've been having weird BSOD's over the past few weeks, been trying to troubleshoot on my own but clearly too stupid to understand the walls of text that are dump files, and lacking technical knowhow to do anything with what little I can figure out.I have 3 drives total, C...
  5. System occurs blue screen with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef error code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System occurs blue screen with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef error code: Hi Sir, I got my PC occur blue screen with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef error code, using WinDGB Preview it only say CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef A critical system process died Arguments: Arg1: ffffaa097afb9080, Process object or thread object Arg2: 0000000000000000, If this is 0, a...
  6. System occurs blue screen with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef error code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System occurs blue screen with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef error code: Hi Sir, I got my PC occur blue screen with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef error code, using WinDGB Preview it only say CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef A critical system process died Arguments: Arg1: ffffaa097afb9080, Process object or thread object Arg2: 0000000000000000, If this is 0, a...
  7. Blue screen CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ef: I have a temperamental PC that probably twice a month blue screens, and I can not find out why so I am looking for help. Looking at this community it pointed me to the memory and hard drive. I have ran multiple memory test and hard drive test and all pass with 0 errors... I...
  8. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD Error

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD Error: Recently I've been running into an issue after installing a new Samsung 970 EVO V-Nand 1TB M.2 SSD. When playing the game RUST for extended periods of time the computer bluescreens with the error message "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" however the system restarts too quickly after...
  9. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (BSOD Error Code)

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (BSOD Error Code): Greetings, I am having this problem on a freshly installed Windows 10 Pro. I have also hard reset the BIOS by pulling its battery out for a minute. Sadly, none of these have fixed the problem. I have gathered files for inspection: DMP files archived in a zip file, .NFO file...
  10. BSOD Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

BSOD Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: My laptop experienced a BSOD with an analysis by "Who Crashed" as follows- On Sat 11/10/2018 2:08:03 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe...