Windows 10: BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot

Discus and support BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The BSOD happens whenever I disconnect a particular external HD from my SATA dock. On reboot, the error 0xc000000e accompanies a blue "Recovery"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PhabGuy, Apr 25, 2016.

1. PhabGuy Win User

BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot

The BSOD happens whenever I disconnect a particular external HD from my SATA dock.

On reboot, the error 0xc000000e accompanies a blue "Recovery" screen stating "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors. File: \windows\system32\winload.exe. Error code: 0xc000000e", etc. If I reconnect this same particular external HD and reboot, Windows loads and runs normally.

I believe this relates to having loaded a registry hive from that external HD some months ago, when I was migrating some settings from an earlier installation. The registry hive was successfully unloaded as near as I can tell with REGEDIT. But clearly there is still something critical tying the operating system to that HD which prevents me from ever removing it from the system.

I have uploaded a debug collection. The system name is "Defiant" and the external HD name is "Valiant" and usually loads a drive "V:".

Any ideas?

Thanks!

:)

PhabGuy, Apr 25, 2016

2. Store_Exception error on BSOD

Not only store_exception but also i get critical_process_died bsod and computer reboots on its own. it mostly happens when the computer is idle for few minutes.I have never encountered bsod before. this is happening since i have cleaned up :c drive

Tanjim Mostafa, Apr 25, 2016
  3. auggy Win User
    Computer reboots with: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ef

The dmp file showed a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) stop error (BSOD).

The Release Notes for the Intel storage driver lists a resolved issue being a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) BSOD.

The S3/S4 would be related to sleep if you notice the error tends to occur more going into or out of sleep.

I believe the new driver would be very beneficial but as a general precaution you could create a System Restore Point beforehand.

auggy, Apr 25, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi PhabGuy,

I'm extremely sorry for the very huge delay, we've been very busy and will be from time to time.

If you still need help, please read BSOD Posting Instructions

axe0, Jun 6, 2016
  5. PhabGuy Win User
    Good morning axe0. Yes I would still appreciate help with this BSOD. I have read the BSOD Posting Instructions and attached my crash logs in the original post above. In the meantime, I did a "Repair install" of Windows 10 as per the tutorial elsewhere on this site, but it did NOT fix the problem. This is a very bizarre issue. :-(

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

PhabGuy, Jun 6, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Hi PhabGuy,

I'm asking that you read the instructions for a new zip file, the current is a few months old and doesn't provide data about new BSODs.

axe0, Jun 6, 2016
  7. PhabGuy Win User
    Understood. I have re-created the crash as follows:
    Attachment 84074
    1. With the system running normally, I removed the HD from the docking station. A few moments later (not immediately), the system crashed with "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: CRITICAL_PROCESS DIED".

2. With the HD still removed, on reboot, the PC crashed with:
    Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
    File: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
    Error code: 0xc000000e
    You'll need to use recovery tools....etc.

3. Plugged HD back into docking station, pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del and system rebooted normally.

4. Ran data gathering tool, see attached ZIP.

PhabGuy, Jun 7, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Please increase the free space of EACH partition to at least 15% to prevent Windows from causing problems because of background stuff.

Please check in device manager what category these unknown USB devices belong too and try to update the drivers/reinstall the drivers (remove & reboot)
    Code: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\7&124A071D&0&2 43 Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\7&124A071D&0&3 43[/quote] Unfortunately there is no log about a BSOD, could you make a photo of the BSOD and post it please.
    Please make sure your pc is configured for small dump files How to configure minidump | Windows 10 tutorial

BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot [​IMG]
    System File Check
    Please try following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again
    If sfc/scannow says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" after the second SFC, please upload the cbs.log file located at %systemroot%\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.

Make a photo of SFC and post it.

axe0, Jun 7, 2016
  9. PhabGuy Win User
    Some of my drives, the ones which appear nearly full, are archive drives containing backed-up projects that I have removed from my working drives. I can simply disconnect them from the system. I'll see what I can do about the others.

[/quote] OK, I can probably resolve that. It is likely an old Bluetooth dongle that is no longer recognized by Windows.

I have uploaded three PDFs containing photos of three BSODs/reboot errors.
    1 - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, when I remove the HD from the dock while the system is running, this BSOD appears within a few moments.
    2 - 0xc000000e, appears on re-boot with the HD still out of the dock. If I hit Enter, then...
    3 - 0xc000000e, appears immediately with the added bit about WINLOAD.EXE.

Will do. I will also run the sfc procedure and report back tomorrow night.

Thanks for your support.

PhabGuy, Jun 9, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Could you try to connect this hard drive via a different way, or on a different system please.

11. PhabGuy Win User
    Will do.

PhabGuy, Jun 11, 2016
  12. PhabGuy Win User
    Done.

[/quote] Fixed. I removed the obsolete Bluetooth dongle. There are no yellow triangles in Device Manager.

Done.

Please try following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again
    If sfc/scannow says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" after the second SFC, please upload the cbs.log file located at %systemroot%\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.

Make a photo of SFC and post it. sfc/scannow was clean. I have uploaded the screenshot taken after the 2nd execution (following a reboot).

I also attached the HD in question to another Win 10 computer through an external SATA/USB adapter and the HD checks out OK. I ran a check for errors and none were found. I could open folders and files OK.

I rebooted the original computer and confirmed the 0xc000000e error when the HD is not attached. I then attached the HD to the dock and rebooted into Windows normally. NOTE: For at least 5 or 10 minutes after booting, there is continuous activity on this HD as seen graphically in Task Manager and on the front panel lights. When this activity had died down to a regular occasional blip, I pulled the HD from the dock and as soon as I moved the mouse, the system crashed with KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. It captured a dump and rebooted too quickly for me get a photo with my phone and re-attach the HD before it crashed on reboot with 0xc000000e.

I re-attached HD, rebooted, and after the machine had settled, I ran the log collector and uploaded the results.

PhabGuy, Jun 11, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

So this crash does not only occur when the HDD is connected?

14. PhabGuy Win User
    The crash never occurs when the HDD is connected. It only occurs when the HDD is NOT connected. The system runs normally (I use it everyday as my graphic arts workstation) as long as that HDD is attached to that docking station. As soon as I pop the HDD out of the dock, the system will crash. The usual crash error is CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, however today the error was KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. And when the system reboots without that HDD attached, I get the 0xc000000e error. I can then plug the HDD back into the dock, reboot and the system runs find again.

PhabGuy, Jun 11, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    Could you use the dock on a different system please and see if the same problem occurs.

Thema:

1. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot - Similar Threads - BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error

2. BSOD 0xc000000e on boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD 0xc000000e on boot: BSOD 0xc000000e on boot Dear tech wizards Today when I turned on my computer, I was faced by the blue screen of death. The error code is: 0xc000000e “A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed.” I’ve googled for hours but without any luck. I build my computer...
  3. BSOD 0xc000000e help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD 0xc000000e help: After cloning my hdd to my ssd I went ahead and clean my hdd and then I received this error. I tried a couple of things with no success . I'm on windows 10, it would mean the world if you can help me [img] 170377
  4. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD Error

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD Error: Recently I've been running into an issue after installing a new Samsung 970 EVO V-Nand 1TB M.2 SSD. When playing the game RUST for extended periods of time the computer bluescreens with the error message "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" however the system restarts too quickly after...
  5. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (BSOD Error Code)

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (BSOD Error Code): Greetings, I am having this problem on a freshly installed Windows 10 Pro. I have also hard reset the BIOS by pulling its battery out for a minute. Sadly, none of these have fixed the problem. I have gathered files for inspection: DMP files archived in a zip file, .NFO file...
  6. BSOD Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

BSOD Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: My laptop experienced a BSOD with an analysis by "Who Crashed" as follows- On Sat 11/10/2018 2:08:03 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe...
  7. Error: 0xc000000e

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error: 0xc000000e: I was trying to install Linux alongside Windows. One person suggested I change the format of the disk to MBR, so I did so with an external program. I now see this was a bad idea as on reload, I can't access Windows. It gives the error 0xc000000e, not surprising as the...
  8. BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot

BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot: Hello! I've been having issues with a Critical_Process_Died BSOD for several weeks now and have already spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting it, to no avail. The start of my problems did not coincide with any major hardware or software changes. At first, I would only...
  9. Constant bsod error - critical_process_died

Constant bsod error - critical_process_died: I keep getting a bsod error that says "critical_process_died". I don't know too much about bsod errors so I'm not really sure on how to fix this. I've ran the sfc.exe/scannow command and it said it found corrupted files, but couldn't fix them. I then ran the dism...restore...
  10. Hourly BSOD with the error Critical_Process_Died

Hourly BSOD with the error Critical_Process_Died: About every hour I get a BSOD with the error, Critical_Process_Died. The BSOD completes "gathering info" and when it gets to 100% it does not restart. The only processes I have been running are chrome and trying to do malwarebytes scan. I checked the event viewer and every...