Windows 10: BSOD during install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discus and support BSOD during install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Attachment 94766 I'm having trouble installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The installation of the update seems to get to about 75%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jaburmester, Aug 6, 2016.

1. BSOD during install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Attachment 94766

I'm having trouble installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

The installation of the update seems to get to about 75% complete, then I get a BSOD.

Then the update system automatically rolls back my Windows installation to the pre-Anniversary Update version.

Not sure what is causing the problem.

Using dm_log_collector produces an empty zip file which is attached.

Thanks for any help.

If any other files needed please state and will attach.

:)

jaburmester, Aug 6, 2016

2. Solved: Avast anti-virus Software causing BSOD during Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Hi,

am running Windows 10 Home, 64bit, on an Intel i7 3.4GHz (Skylake), 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD (Evo 840), MSI Gaming M7 z170a motherboard, Nvidia GTX 970 GPU.

Twice now I have tried installing the Windows 10 anniversary update and twice during one of the reboots I get a stop check / bug check BSOD. Can't remember the exact bug check error, other than it was something like "system thread exception not handled".
    In checking for a dump file, none exists, and in the event viewer there is a system error message saying that there was a problem initializing the dump file. So to be clear I am not going to be able to analyse this dump file using the winDebug tools to find
    out the source of this stop check. Also please note I have not had one BSOD ever with this machine, nor ever with the current driver / bios / hardware geometry.

UPDATE - this may or may not apply to others, but I have found that this exact same issue is being experienced by those using Avast anti-virus (which I also use). The solution is to uninstall avast (or use avastClear utility to uninstall) then install the
    anniversary update.

I will uninstall avast then try and reinstall the anniversary update, then report back here.

UPDATE #2 - I uninstalled Avast, and can confirm that I was then able to successfully install the anniversary update without trouble, i.e no more BSOD's during the upgrade. So if you have avast, then that is likely the cause of the BSOD for you as well.
    Also, some people on the Avast forums were saying that reinstalling Avast even after upgrading to the Windows 10 anniversary edition gave BSOD's on rebooting. Search for the avast forums for more info.

Thanks.

Original title: windows anniversary update BSOD

JustinLeary, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary Update BSOD problem

Hi, my system :

AMD fx 6300

Radeon HD 7870

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600MHz,

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" SATA ΙΙΙ

I have a problem during the update to Windows 10 Anniversary , I get BSOD in the instalation and then I get a message :

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key

I close my PC and I decide to install the update again , but i choose to delete everything.. The installation completed but after 5 minutes when I was at
    desktop I get BSOD again ..

So I deleted Anniversary Update and i Installed again with clean install , but I had this problem again at desktop after 5-10 minutes

Then I installed (clean install) Windows 10 (november update) and I have no problem (no BSOD) ...

Please help me , what can I do ?

Its a serious problem......

tzortzis98, Aug 6, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

BSOD during install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Please run the DM Log Collector again and upload a new zip file, the current attached zip is empty.

axe0, Aug 6, 2016
  5. I have run DM Log Collector and every time zip file is empty.

Any suggestions?

jaburmester, Aug 7, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Try the .bat version
    Attachment 94878

axe0, Aug 7, 2016
  7. Attachment 95039
    I managed finally to produce file.

Please advise why I get BSOD at around 75% when I try and upgrade to Windows Anniversary Update.

Thank you.

jaburmester, Aug 8, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Can't tell you why, there is nothing about the problem present, likely due to the reverting action

What BSOD are you getting?

axe0, Aug 8, 2016
  9. It takes me more than an 1 hour to get to point of BSOD with Windows Anniversary Update and when I get there after less than 30 seconds it reboots restoring to previous version so I cannot see what error causes BSOD.

Any ideas?

Thank you for all help given.

jaburmester, Aug 9, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    An idea: record it (a video) and upload it (to youtube, so it can be delayed) *Smile

11. How do you record screen as video when doing Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

jaburmester, Aug 10, 2016
  12. You are joking. Do you know how much memory space this would take? A lot.

Does any one else have some logical solutions to problem.

Thank you.

jaburmester, Aug 10, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

It is the one of the few ways to record a BSOD, you can't use any software for Windows.

Other ways could be to use a tablet or something.

You don't have to record the whole update process, only the part where a BSOD occurs.

14. BSOD states Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. It also stated pagefile error and has qr code going to Troubleshoot blue screen errors (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...-screen-errors).

Hope someone can help.

Thank you.

jaburmester, Aug 11, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    We know about the QR code, unfortunately it isn't helpful. It is an extremely limited guide with which you can't do much.

What was the pagefile error?

Thema:

1. BSOD during install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Similar Threads - BSOD during install

2. BSOD during Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD during Windows 10 installation: I wanted to reset my laptop to factory settings. I chose 'remove everything' then cloud download. The reset process was going pretty well. When the installation of windows was on 1% BSOD appeared. Then the PC restarted automatically and preparing screen appered and then BSOD...
  3. Cannot Update to Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Freeze during Update)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot Update to Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Freeze during Update): Search Results I am trying to update from Windows 10 OS Build 10586.589 to the Anniversary Update but my computer freezes at 1% progress. I have tried everything I can think of including: Unplugging all extra SATA drives except my main SSD, unplugging my wireless network...
  4. BSOD when updating to Windows 10 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when updating to Windows 10 Anniversary Update: Hey everyone, I experienced this issue yesterday when attempting to upgrade to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. About 70% through, a Blue Screen appeared with the error code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I have used Bluescreenview to find the address that caused the problem,...
  5. BSOD during install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update

BSOD during install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update: I'm having trouble installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The installation of the update seems to get to about 70% complete, then I get a BSOD saying "kernel security check failure". Then the update system automatically rolls back my Windows installation to the...
  6. BSOD during Windows 10 Anniversary Update

BSOD during Windows 10 Anniversary Update: Hi Everyone I have tried 4 times to install the Win 10 anniversary update now. Each time I get 'Kernel data inpage error' BSOD after about 30% into the final update stage. Then it reverts back. Memory Dumped attached..Attachment 94203 Have tried removing antivirus Have...
  7. BSOD When Updating to Windows 10 Anniversary

BSOD When Updating to Windows 10 Anniversary: Hi, I am trying to update to Windows 10 Anniversary but I keep getting a bluescreen error. Attachment 103957 Attachment 103707 [img] I've retried it a few times and keep getting the IRQ error in the image above... which I think is a driver issue, but I have no...
  8. BSOD windows 10 anniversary update

BSOD windows 10 anniversary update: Hello, Im got BSOD when turn off autocad( autodesk product) Need help Thanks you! Attachment 94404 58999
  9. BSOD after clean install Windows 10 Anniversary

BSOD after clean install Windows 10 Anniversary: Hi, After updating to Windows 10 Anniversary, my PC got this issue: every programs including Start Menu, Taskbar, Windows Explorer, etc freeze after I log in. I couldn't even log off, turn on task manager using Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Shift+ESC. I searched and tried many...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Update BSOD problem

Windows 10 Anniversary Update BSOD problem: I have a problem during the update to Windows 10 Anniversary , I get BSOD in the instalation and then I get a message : Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key I close my PC and I decide to install the update again...