Windows 10: BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot

Discus and support BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The other night, my Dell Latitude 2120 netbook froze, so I forced it to shut down. When I started it up again, I got the BSOD. I upgraded it many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Alicat, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Alicat Win User

BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot

The other night, my Dell Latitude 2120 netbook froze, so I forced it to shut down. When I started it up again, I got the BSOD. I upgraded it many months ago from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The BSOD says:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The boot configuration data file is missing some required information.

File:/Boot/BCD
    Error code: 0xc0000034

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

I read on other forums that I am supposed to use a Windows 10 recovery disk or USB, but I don't have one. I used a tool to make my USB bootable with a Windows 10 ISO file downloaded from Access Denied .

I got my netbook to boot from the USB. I clicked "Repair your computer." Then I just saw a blue screen with a mouse. No option to actually do anything.

So I tried to reinstall Windows 10. I chose the upgrade option, which it says you can use if you already have Windows 10 on your computer and you don't want to lose all your files. I got this message:

The computer started using Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. The, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. (Do not select |custom[advanced]| to perform an upgrade. |custom[advanced]| installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.)

Obviously, I can't do that since I can't start my computer without the USB drive. Does this mean I have to completely reinstall it using the custom option? But then, can I actually do that? I upgraded when it was free and you didn't need a product code, but now they are charging for it so I don't know if I could install it even if I wanted to (I'm not going to buy it).

I also got this error when running diagnostics:
    I'm running diagnostics and I got this error:

Error Code 0142
    Msg: Error Code L: 2000-0142
    Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test unsuccessful. Status: 75

*Sad*Sad*Sad*Sad*Sad*Sad

:)

Alicat, Jan 4, 2017
  2. Ali123KT Win User

BSOD Error code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot attempt

Thanks but I can't follow those instructions because all i get is a blank blue screen when I click "repair your computer."

Ali123KT, Jan 4, 2017
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    BSOD Error code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot attempt

Then we need to reinstall Windows 10 to resolve this issue. Follow this link below on how to do the reinstall.

Reinstall Windows 10

Let us know the results.

Ian Ser, Jan 4, 2017
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Hi Alicat and welcome to the forum.
    You're going to need the Win10 Installation Media on a USB drive to repair the boot files. Here are instructions for downloading the Media Creation Tool from MS and using it to create the Installation Media
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-download.html.
    Be sure to use Option 2 in the tutorial. You'll need an empty 3 GB or larger USB2 Drive. I'm not sure if the Media Creation Tool will work on the Vista laptop. If it doesn't work you'll need a friend who has a Win10 PC and can download the Media Creation Tool from the MS site and create the USB installation tool?

When you get the Win10 Installation Media created then we can walk you through the process of getting your laptop to boot from the USB Drive and getting to the repair section. From that point the repair should only take a few minutes. It involves navigating through a few screens, getting to the Command Prompt window, and entering 4 commands. Just post back when your ready.

I should tell you that there is always the chance that your hard disk has gone bad. Can you hear it spinning when you try to boot? Has the laptop shown any other signs of distress?

SoFine409, Jan 4, 2017
  5. Alicat Win User
    Why doesn't option 1 work? That's what I tried originally. I managed to download it onto the USB but nothing changed when I plugged it into my netbook. I think I hear the hard disk spinning...I did drop the netbook not long before it froze and subsequently gave me the BSOD on reboot. I can't use the media creation tool on my old Vista laptop.

Alicat, Jan 5, 2017
  6. Alicat Win User
    How can I boot from a USB if I have the blue screen of death and can't use my computer at all?
    How do you know if your USB is bootable?

Alicat, Jan 5, 2017
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi Alicat. Good to hear the you were able to copy the ISO to the USB stick. What happens when you turn on the laptop is the BIOS looks for devices that have operating systems. It does that in an order that we can change. Right now the HDD is the first device but it looks like the boot files have been damaged so you see that error message. By turning on the power and holding down the F2 key we can access the BIOS setup menu and there we can change the first device that the BIOS tries to boot from. We will change it to the USB stick and if you successfully created the Win10 installation media we'll be on our way to fixing the boot problems.

If we can boot from the USB stick the install program will run and we can use that to get to a command prompt and repair the boot files. It's late here and I need to get some sleep. I'll post more instructions in the morning.

One last thing. Can you tell me if you have you ever made any changes in a BIOS before? That way I'll know how detailed to make the instructions. We definitely don't want to mess up the BIOS by giving you incomplete instructions. Knowing that the laptop was dropped does concern me. If the HDD was damaged then we are dead in the water. We'll know when we try to repair the boot files.
    Bob

SoFine409, Jan 5, 2017
  8. Alicat Win User

I (hopefully) made my usb bootable using method 1 here 5 Ways to Make a USB Bootable - wikiHow
    On startup, I pressed F12 and told it to boot from USB. I got this error: Bootmgr is missing. I went to BIOS and moved the USB to the top in boot sequence. Still got Bootmgr is missing error. Now I'm running diagnostics and I got this error:

Error Code 0142
    Msg: Error Code 2000-0142
    Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test unsuccessful. Status: 75

Alicat, Jan 5, 2017
  9. axe0 New Member
    The diagnostics test is referring to the hard drive, it will need to be replaced.
    It isn't the USB, because then the diagnostics test would refer to the USB ports.

axe0, Jan 5, 2017
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    Thanks axe0. I was afraid of that. The OP did say that he had dropped the laptop in his first post but I was hoping for a better result.
    Bob

SoFine409, Jan 5, 2017
  11. axe0 New Member
    Dropping a laptop may result in any kind of damage, it depends on how it hits the ground.

12. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi Alicat. If you've read Axe0's you see that your HDD has failed. Very sorry. If your looking for a new one, Dell has reconditioned ones on their web site. Many times corporate users buy large orders and then they return some that they don't use. Often they have never been opened. Dell sells them as reconditioned with a new warranty. You might want to check that out.
    Bob

SoFine409, Jan 5, 2017
  13. Alicat Win User

I just get a blank blue screen when I click repair your computer.

Alicat, Jan 5, 2017
  14. Alicat Win User
    Oh... Actually it so happens I have already ordered a desktop computer. I was hoping I could fix my netbook so I could save my data and use it when I am traveling. I can't afford another laptop or costly repairs now though.

Alicat, Jan 5, 2017
  15. axe0 New Member
    A new hdd/ssd costs these days not even $100 and takes not much time to replace with the failing one, if you watch a video about replacing the hdd for your laptop.

Thema:

1. BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot - Similar Threads - BSOD Error Code

2. Fix the boot for error code 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fix the boot for error code 0xc0000034: Hello microsoft support. I once had an error for error code 0xc0000034. It read as follows: --FORM-- Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. An unknown error occurred. I will only list that much, so, I had it reading "An Unknown Error Occurred." I booted into...
  3. Error 0xc0000034, can't access Boot media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error 0xc0000034, can't access Boot media: I have been trying to load the BIOS on my computer, attempting to boot from the USB so I could reinstall Windows 10 to allow an unallocated partition. Now I am stuck at this error message when I start up, no BIOS screens, the ESC, F1, and F2 are useless, I have my boot drive...
  4. Error code 0xc0000034 with Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error code 0xc0000034 with Windows 10: My windows 10 is getting an error code that says file is missing some information and it gives ne an error message 0xc0000034 file BCD is missing some files or is corrupt so I've tried to rebuild my BCD file by typing in Bootrec / FixMbr and press enter all goes ok with this...
  5. boot BCD 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boot BCD 0xc0000034: ช่วยทีครับคอมขึ้น boot BCD 0xc0000034 แล้วพอเปิดไว้สักพักเครื่องรีสต๊าทตลอดเลย แล้วก็ปิดเครื่องไม่ได้ ปิดปุ๊ปก็เปิดใหม่ตลอดต้องถอดปลั๊กอย่างเดียว https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-bcd-0xc0000034/f8ad963c-967b-4462-b369-f966c84c60b8
  6. Error code 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error code 0xc0000034: I recently discovered a corruption in my windows so decided to do a clean install, I started to do the reset but have ran into several problems along the way and my computer is now stuck in recovery with this code. I have downloaded the media creation tools and put it on a...
  7. BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034

BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034: Heyo, I'm having some BSOD's on boot for some reason. I am unfortunately unable to post a debug report as I can't get to my desktop. However, I do have a small bit of background for the issue. I recently got an SSD, and cloned my main drive with Windows 10 over to my SSD....
  8. BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 File:\EF\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 File:\EF\Microsoft\Boot\BCD: Hi all! I have a W101 V2 RCA 10 inch tablet. After installing webcam drivers from RCA customer service, a few reboots later I recieved a BSOD that included the message "Press Windows key for UEFI Firmware settings." And also, File:\EF\Microsoft\Boot\BCD Error Code...
  9. Issues with boot windows (Errors 0xc0000034 & 0xc0000225)

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues with boot windows (Errors 0xc0000034 & 0xc0000225): Refer to Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet for all the images I use in this post. I restarted my computer this morning (2013 Toshiba Portege Z930) and was greeted with this error (image 1). After some research I decided to load a bootable windows 10 onto a...
  10. \Boot\BCD Error Code 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Support
    \Boot\BCD Error Code 0xc0000034: Hi there, and thanks in advance for your help. I am using a Lenovo Ideapad 310-15ISK (model name 80SM) running Windows 10. I am receiving an error on boot 'Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors....
Tags: