Windows 10: BSOD Error code: 0xc0000221 ntoskrnl.exe

Discus and support BSOD Error code: 0xc0000221 ntoskrnl.exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; BSOD says: Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. The OS couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or containing errors.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by klein5366, Jul 20, 2017.

1. klein5366 Win User

BSOD Error code: 0xc0000221 ntoskrnl.exe

BSOD says:
    Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
    The OS couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or containing errors.
    File:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Error code: 0xc0000221

You'll need to use windows recovery tools

Press Enter to try again
    Press F8 for Startup settings
    Press Esc for UEFI firmware settings

i have a recovery dvd , can i run sfc /scannow from the recovery dvd like in win7 ?
    will windows 10 sfc repair the operating system from the recover dvd ?
    sfc /scannow /offbootdir=f:\ /offwindir=f:\windows

new to windows 10 thank you
    computer will not start the operating system

:)

klein5366, Jul 20, 2017

2. bsod

When I get the bsod it says "YOUR PC/DEVICE TO BE REPAIRED KERNEL IS MISSING OR CONTAINS ERRORS" File:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe error code 0xc0000221.

How can I fix this Please.

newsmanone, Jul 20, 2017
  3. ntoskrnl.exe error code 0xc0000221 BSOD

Hi,

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

========

There really is no point in attempting to analyze the minidump for this Bug_Check

as the results would be misleading at best.

0xc0000221 error is almost always hardware that is affecting the boot process. It is

most likely the hard drive, cable, controller (on the mobo), though it could be memory

or even other hardware. Be sure to set the memory back as you had it as a test as

the changes could cause this error.

Ensure the BIOS is set to boot to the correct drive.

STOP: 0xc0000221 <-- read this link

STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH

Bug Check 0xC0000221: STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH <-- read this link

Bug Check 0xC0000221 STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH

========

If you need a Windows 10 boot disk :

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - create media then

boot with it.

Windows 10 herunterladen

How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

OR use this method :

How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jul 20, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

1) Were there any recent hardware or software changes?
    2) How old is the desktop?
    3) Is it the original drive?
    4) Is it a HD or SSD?
    5) How many drives are there?
    6) Has there been any drive problems?
    7) Had the drive been tested with any software drive tests: SMART short or long generic?
    8) Are your files backed up?
    9) Is there a backup image?

When you use manufacturer recovery dvd media it behaves differently than creating a windows 10 iso dvd. The manufacturer dvd often has the option to reinstall the operating system but no option to repair (windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu). So if you boot to the dvd it will collect information and install windows. As long as you don't accidentally boot to the dvd I see little downside in attempting the sfc /scannow /offbootdir=f:\ /offwindir=f:\windows other than the amount of time that it may make in the repair. If it does not work there are other repair options.

The error code 0xc0000221 indicates that problem could be related to a corrupted or missing driver file on the partition (could be fixed by scannow), disk errors (fixed by chkdsk /r) or RAM problems which may require hardware replacement.

So as long as you are willing to wait while it attempts the repair there seems to be little downside.

Please clarify what happens with these steps now:
    a) power on the computer
    b) power on the computer, power off when viewing the Microsoft icon (performed 2 or 3 times always powering off when viewing the Microsoft icon)
    c) power on changing the bios boot order to boot to the dvd

If you can get to the windows recovery on the computer you should have options:
    reset save files
    reset remove files
    restore repair
    startup repair
    startup options
    command prompt

If you cannot get to the Windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu on the computer and instead use a windows 10 iso as either a USB flash drive or dvd you should have these options:

restore repair
    startup repair
    image repair
    command prompt

If you launch command prompt it should open as: Administrator X: Windows\system32\cmd.exe
    You could then attempt the repair using the scannow command. You must be able to direct it to the dvd drive with the applicable drive letter in the command.

If this command fails to fix the boot there are other repair options. Let us know your progress.

These are some links for the error code 0xc0000221, sfc /scannow /offbootdir=f:\ /offwindir=f:\windows, F keys to boot to a device, and a free bootable windows 10 iso download.

Bug Check 0xC0000221 STATUS\_IMAGE\_CHECKSUM\_MISMATCH | Microsoft Docs
    Run SFC Command in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot - Windows 7 Help Forums
    List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys
    Download Windows 10

zbook, Jul 20, 2017
  5. klein5366 Win User
    the computer i'm working on is my son's backup work computer
    more info as i get it lol
    computer had been setting unused and not running
    a week ago last Friday:
    they set it up it was fine.
    they had a company install a secure log in for a server.
    the software they use is on a server and they log into the server over the net.
    i would say it is something like Google sketch-up all through Internet explorer.
    it worker fine then the power went out at his work over the weekend.
    the next Monday morning the computer booted into the BSOD.

lenovo c560
    mfg date 2014-05-19
    originally win 8.1 as per tag , but has 10 on it now
    only one drive
    he has no idea if it is the original drive
    no test has been done on the drive
    no back up i don't think there is any files on it he needs

at the point i wrote my first post i did not know about the power outage, now i'm thinking it could be the culprit.

now i'm faced with another problem i do not have a windows 10 repair disk or install disk, i do have a windows 7 install disk can i use that to get to the command prompt to run sfc ? or does it have to be windows 10 disk ?

can it be a windows 10 disk repair disk from any computer?
    being it was upgraded and he doesn't have the disks, does he have to put win 8.1 back on or will the win 10 install ?

if i download the windows 10 image will it install being the computer originally had windows 8.1 ?
    it is my understanding at this point the win coa is on a chip on the mother board, there is no windows coa on this computer.

thanks a lot zbook for your time

klein5366, Jul 23, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    1) See if you can find a flash drive that you can format.
    Windows 10 iso downloads are free and can be used on any computer with windows 10 home or professional.
    2) create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10
    3) if the computer was upgraded from windows 7 or 8.1 to windows 10 during the free period the computer then has a digital license. This would allow you to replace hardware and software.

zbook, Jul 24, 2017
  7. klein5366 Win User
    thank you zbook
    ran into some interesting problems downloading iso, for some reason windows 10 Internet explorer would not go to iso down load page:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
    Internet explorer would redirect me to:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    witch was asking if i would like to upgrade the operating system
    so i downloaded it with linux (4.1gb iso) .
    now linux will go to:
    but when i try to go to:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    it redirects me to:
    the only thing i can think of is it is picking up the operating system through IE & Firefox
    if it is IE win 10 it tries to update the system if it is Firefox and Linux it lets you down load the iso
    iso is down loading
    witch makes no scene

klein5366, Jul 25, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

On a windows 10 PC all of the above links open the same web page.
    See if you can use or borrow any working PC with windows 10 to make a bootable windows 10 iso.
    Maybe a friend's PC or a public library PC?

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD Error code: 0xc0000221 ntoskrnl.exe - Similar Threads - BSOD Error code

2. Error code 0xc0000221

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error code 0xc0000221: Hi When i started using my laptop after a couple days, my laptop stopped working automatically showing me the blue screen and then it will restart again. This started happening when at the first startup it said "bios is updating". I tired all the methods from youtube and the...
  3. Error code 0xc0000221

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error code 0xc0000221: Hi When i started using my laptop after a couple days, my laptop stopped working automatically showing me the blue screen and then it will restart again. This started happening when at the first startup it said "bios is updating". I tired all the methods from youtube and the...
  4. Error code 0xc0000221

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System error code 0xc0000221

System error code 0xc0000221: I ran into an error. when i tried using a usb with windows 10 i got an orange screen, and now my pc wont connect to screen, keybord or anny other plugins. the only thing i am able to do is toggle the power. [IMG]...
  6. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  7. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...
  8. BSOD - Error code: 0xc0000221

BSOD - Error code: 0xc0000221: I am stuck in an inescapable loop. Whenever I try to boot, I get BSOD into the 0xc0000221 error page with 4ish options: F1 to enter safe environment (Doesn't work. just reboots to the same screen.) F8 to enter boot options (Doesn't work, each option takes me back to the...
  9. Windows 10: Error Code: 0xc0000221

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: Error Code: 0xc0000221: Hi guys, first time posting as today as at 7:00~ i got the error code Error Code: 0xc0000221. I personally am not experienced with computers so i have decided to post this thread in the hope someone will help me. The system says: File:\\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe error...
  10. Error Code: 0xc0000221

in Windows 10 Support
    Error Code: 0xc0000221: Hi guys, First time user here so not sure what I should put in the thread. I am basically in a bit of a shit situation as my laptop (Acer Aspire) has been quite laggy lately (Windows 10) and I just had junk everywhere so I decided to wipe everything. Now after my factory...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. File:\\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe error code: 0xc0000221

2. File : /windows/system32/ winload.exe Status:0xc0000221

3. ntoskrnl bsod 0xc0000221 thinkpad

4. 0xc0000221 ntoskrnl windows 8,
  5. error code 0xc0000221 ntoskrnl.exe,
  6. error 0xc0000221 ntoskrnl,
  7. 0xc0000221 ntoskrnl.exe,
  8. ntoskrnl.exe 0xc0000221