Windows 10: BSOD error Critical_process_died - repeatedly and frequently

Discus and support BSOD error Critical_process_died - repeatedly and frequently in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, If anyone can help I would really appreciated it, just got this machine and can't really get anything done on it as the keep getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LeeCandler, Sep 18, 2016.

1. BSOD error Critical_process_died - repeatedly and frequently

Hi,

If anyone can help I would really appreciated it, just got this machine and can't really get anything done on it as the keep getting 'critical_process_died' error.

It generally happens when streaming or watching media.

I have tried the following media players for watching movies and they all result in the same problem:

Ace Player, MPC, VLC, WMP.

For example I 'tried' to watch a movie yesterday and I had to hard reset 6-7 times using different players.

If I am trying to watch a stream through ace player there is absolutely no chance I will get through a entire game of anything.

I also have the same problem when using Skygo, or BT apps.

Essentially anything visual and the bugger BSODS me to death!

There have been other errors but I can't remember the exact error name, think it was 'memory_management'

If anyone could help me through what to do here I would appreciated it, I just moved back to window OS as starting a t CAD design course and want to have conistent access to programs (Mac UIs are rubbish as not everyone does a decent version). As a result I am a little rusty so any guides and pointers how to make this beast do what it's told would make my life liveable!

If I see that sideways sad face again I may smash my screen.

:)

LeeCandler, Sep 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 Frequent Blue Screen - Lenovo

Hello Microsoft Community,

I've been getting pretty frequent (5 in an hour) BSOD errors. They seem to come in waves; it will happen frequently for a couple of days and then be fine for a week. Also it seems to be several different errors, cycling through CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    among others.

Past 3 Minidump Files: 060517-4109-01.zip

Specs: Lenovo Specs.PNG

MSinfo32: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.nfo

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

W. A. Robbins, Sep 18, 2016
  3. auggy Win User
    Computer reboots with: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ef

The dmp file showed a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) stop error (BSOD).

The Release Notes for the Intel storage driver lists a resolved issue being a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) BSOD.

The S3/S4 would be related to sleep if you notice the error tends to occur more going into or out of sleep.

I believe the new driver would be very beneficial but as a general precaution you could create a System Restore Point beforehand.

auggy, Sep 18, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

BSOD error Critical_process_died - repeatedly and frequently

Hi LeeCandler,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

Unfortunately I'm unable to find any logs that tells us a BSOD has occured.
    I would want you to run a few tests, to see the status of a few parts.
    Please read the instructions carefully!

BSOD error Critical_process_died - repeatedly and frequently [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST
    *Arrow Check Disk (chkdsk) - Read Event Viewer Log - Windows 7 Help Forums

Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

5. Hi axe0,

thanks for the response mate, will go through those tests.

the lack of logs (i didn't know where to look for them in the zip file to notice) is perhaps down to the fact that the process with the BSOD always hangs on 0% when it is mentions there is supposed to be a report being created. I am usually in the middle of watching something time sensitive so perhaps I am being impatient! haha

how long should it take to make a 'report', it doesn't seem to leave zero in a reasonable ammount of time to me.

I'll do the rest of the tests tomorrow (UK) and post them up as as soon as I can.

LeeCandler, Sep 21, 2016
  6. Here is the HD tune screenshots.

Attachment 102482Attachment 102483Attachment 102484

LeeCandler, Sep 21, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    This 'collecting data' process is simply copying the data that is present in the kernel memory of the RAM to the pagefile to temporary store the data until it can be saved to a file. This is because the RAM is volatile, as soon as the system has been shutdown everything in the RAM is lost.
    When the system starts up again it 'dumps' the saved information from the pagefile into a .dmp file called 'MEMORY.dmp' located in the system root directory (C:\Windows) and a mini version of the dump version in the minidump location (C:\Windows\Minidump).

The process of collecting data should take less than a few minutes at max, even with very low specs.
    Reasons why this process hangs could be following
    • Registry settings corrupted,
    • RAM faulty,
    • Hard drive faulty,
    It is possible that more reasons are behind the problem, but these are the onces I have ever seen occuring.

Now you know why I suggested HDD/SSD and RAM tests *Smile

8. BSOD error Critical_process_died - repeatedly and frequently

Haha you are like a BSOD Prophet!

Will try and be more patient next time!

Will post results in a bit.

LeeCandler, Sep 21, 2016
  9. should I run seatools? It says no point with SSD?

LeeCandler, Sep 21, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    SeaTools is focused on HDDs, on SSDs it's never been recommended due to unreliable results.

Don't use SeaTools on SSDs, as alternative use the software the manufacturer of the SSD provides.

11. Here is the ChkDsk Log:

Attachment 102594

LeeCandler, Sep 21, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    Please upload the chkdskresult.txt on your desktop.
    The screenshot doesn't show what changes Windows has made.

13. BSOD error Critical_process_died - repeatedly and frequently

Here you go sir:

TimeCreated : 22/09/2016 11:38:18
    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is OS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    Cleaning up instance tags for file 0x1fc96.
    280064 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    8362 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    366542 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 2431 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 2431 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 2431 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    43240 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    No further action is required.

487642111 KB total disk space.
    127641824 KB in 209540 files.
    127984 KB in 43241 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    365263 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    359507040 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    121910527 total allocation units on disk.
    89876760 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 46 04 00 1b db 03 00 4d 47 07 00 00 00 00 00 .F......MG......
    7f 01 00 00 4a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....J...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

LeeCandler, Sep 21, 2016
  14. I have uploaded the actual txt file to show that is all the info.

I also got BSODed in the face again so ran DM log collector and have uploaded the new zip file.

LeeCandler, Sep 21, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    What was the error? Any driver mentioned?

Thema:

BSOD error Critical_process_died - repeatedly and frequently

1. BSOD error Critical_process_died - repeatedly and frequently - Similar Threads - BSOD error Critical_process_died

2. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - Repeated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - Repeated.: Please see the Dump Logs below:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pQb7gPvtO-QUg7m4qkX2b8g-TP1T7yrI/view?usp=sharing************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit...
  3. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - Repeated.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - Repeated.: Please see the Dump Logs below:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pQb7gPvtO-QUg7m4qkX2b8g-TP1T7yrI/view?usp=sharing************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit...
  4. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - Repeated.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Experiencing frequent BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and No bootable device

Experiencing frequent BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and No bootable device: Like many others reporting BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, I've periodically encountered it and a restart makes it go away. A few days ago, I had the crash on every restart. Some restarts result into the error "No bootable devices found" and so I have to restart again. I've...
  6. Repeated BSOD due to ntoskrnl.exe - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Repeated BSOD due to ntoskrnl.exe - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: Hi, My Windows 10 Pro Desktop PC has been suffering from constant and repeated BSOD due to the driver "ntoskrnl.exe", with bug check string -CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and bug check code - 0x000000ef All information related to these BSOD were viewed using BlueScreenView...
  7. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD Error

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD Error: Recently I've been running into an issue after installing a new Samsung 970 EVO V-Nand 1TB M.2 SSD. When playing the game RUST for extended periods of time the computer bluescreens with the error message "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" however the system restarts too quickly after...
  8. BSOD Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

BSOD Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: My laptop experienced a BSOD with an analysis by "Who Crashed" as follows- On Sat 11/10/2018 2:08:03 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe...
  9. BSOD Critical_Process_Died frequent crashes upon regular use

BSOD Critical_Process_Died frequent crashes upon regular use: I have had no problems what so ever with this computer running Win 7 Pro for a very long time (2+ years) and when I moved to Win 10 Pro I get these BSOD Critical_Process_Died crashes while browsing the internet using Fire Fox. After the BSOD it will reboot and I can use again...
  10. Frequent CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs on Dell XPS 15 9550

Frequent CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs on Dell XPS 15 9550: As the title says, I'm getting a bunch of critical process died errors, usually within 30-60 minutes of booting up a game. Sometimes it happens within 15 minutes, and sometimes it's not connected to gaming at all. Would greatly appreciate any help! 35684