Windows 10: BSOD every now and then, seems to happen only during games

Discus and support BSOD every now and then, seems to happen only during games in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey! I've bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, and also use it for mild gaming. However, every now and the it reboots and I find a minidump using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Derpping, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Derpping Win User

BSOD every now and then, seems to happen only during games

Hey!

I've bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, and also use it for mild gaming. However, every now and the it reboots and I find a minidump using BlueScreenView. On average, there's one BSOD a week and it seems to happen during games. I didn't happen when I first started using this, the only updates I have done are regular Windows Updates and then BIOS (for the Windows Update) and GPU drivers both from HP's webpage. I dunno what else to do, so I am hoping someone else would help me with my problem, and hopefully get this fixed. Could the drivers be the problem?

:)

Derpping, Jan 23, 2018

2. BSOD - Happens only during gaming

Driver verified and the crashes are caused by Xlguard.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for XLGuard.sys

Probably caused by : XLGuard.sys ( XLGuard+8d54 )

DRT has no reference of it, but a rough search on google relates this to ShenZhen Thunder Networking Technologies Ltd

Uninstalling the program should resolve your issue.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 23, 2018
  3. BSOD - Happens only during gaming

HI,

I used WhoCrashed software. nt_wrong_symbols.sys that is causing the problem. How do i rectify it?

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:

C:\WINDOWS

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Fri 12/29/2017 9:18:21 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122917-4015-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: nt_wrong_symbols.sys (nt_wrong_symbols)

Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFDC055F8C2F90, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8010FC2BECD)

Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.

This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nt_wrong_symbols.sys .

Google query: nt_wrong_symbols.sys IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Fri 12/29/2017 9:18:21 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP

This was probably caused by the following module: nt_wrong_symbols.sys (nt_wrong_symbols)

Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFDC055F8C2F90, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8010FC2BECD)

Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.

This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nt_wrong_symbols.sys .

Google query: nt_wrong_symbols.sys IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Fri 12/29/2017 9:08:09 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122917-4140-01.dmp

Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0xE, 0xFFFFCB886C52C570, 0xC05E03CD1EE8ED94, 0xC05E03CD1EE8ED96)

Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER

Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.

This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

Google query: nt_wrong_symbols.sys BAD_POOL_HEADER

On Fri 12/29/2017 8:48:54 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122917-3250-01.dmp

Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF80CDE378D54, 0x0, 0x62527050)

Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Google query: nt_wrong_symbols.sys DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Min Feng Chan, Jan 23, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Derpping,

As this is a new laptop I would return it and ask for a replacement. The one BSOD report indicates that there is a hardware error. Without further testing it is not easy to determine what component might be failing but for a new laptop you should return it and show the following analysis. I would suspect motherboard or CPU at this stage.

The error record is attached and pinpoints AMD Northbridge
    Code: Event[3113]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger Date: 2018-01-24T01:30:03.975 Event ID: 20 Task: N/A Level: Virhe Opcode: Tietoja Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-19 User Name: NT-hallinta\Paikallinen palvelu Computer: LAPTOP-PJTT046L Description: On ilmennyt vakava laitteistovirhe. Osa: AMD Northbridge Virheen lähde: Tietokoneen tarkistuksen poikkeus Virhetyyppi: 11 Suorittimen APIC-tunnus: 0[/quote]
    Code: 1: kd> !errrec ffff9c875870b818 =============================================================================== Common Platform Error Record @ ffff9c875870b818 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Record Id : 01d394a2011b16d7 Severity : Fatal (1) Length : 928 Creator : Microsoft Notify Type : Machine Check Exception Timestamp : 1/23/2018 23:29:30 (UTC) Flags : 0x00000002 PreviousError =============================================================================== Section 0 : Processor Generic ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Descriptor @ ffff9c875870b898 Section @ ffff9c875870b970 Offset : 344 Length : 192 Flags : 0x00000001 Primary Severity : Fatal Proc. Type : x86/x64 Instr. Set : x64 Error Type : BUS error Operation : Generic Flags : 0x00 Level : 3 CPU Version : 0x0000000000660f01 Processor ID : 0x0000000000000000 =============================================================================== Section 1 : x86/x64 Processor Specific ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Descriptor @ ffff9c875870b8e0 Section @ ffff9c875870ba30 Offset : 536 Length : 128 Flags : 0x00000000 Severity : Fatal Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000 CPU Id : 01 0f 66 00 00 08 04 00 - 0b 32 d8 3e ff fb 8b 17 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Proc. Info 0 @ ffff9c875870ba30 =============================================================================== Section 2 : x86/x64 MCA ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Descriptor @ ffff9c875870b928 Section @ ffff9c875870bab0 Offset : 664 Length : 264 Flags : 0x00000000 Severity : Fatal Error : BUSLG_OBS_ERR_*_NOTIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4) Status : 0xf2000010000b0c0f[/quote]

philc43, Jan 23, 2018
  5. Derpping Win User
    Thank you, I contacted the seller via email and showed the analysis. I forgot to mention, that I've heard a loud beep all of sudden from the motherboard, so could it also be related to this issue I'm facing now?

Derpping, Jan 24, 2018
  6. philc43 Win User
    It could be, do you have any manual (could be online) for the motherboard which explains the cause of the beep? If it happens during the BIOS loading at startup it will usually help to pinpoint the hardware problem.

philc43, Jan 24, 2018
  7. Derpping Win User
    It has happened on a regular use, never on start-up. The last time I remember it happening when I was playing, it was one or two loud beeps and that's it. The laptop is HP Pavilion 15-ab171no, but I didn't find the manufacturer's guide for beeps or anything.

Derpping, Jan 25, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

See this HP link for their beep codes:
    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - BIOS Beep Codes | HP® Customer Support

Download and install the HP UEFI diagnostics version 6.5: HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site

Power on the computer and repetitively click the F2 key > run the loop until failure test overnight and report the results into the thread
    If the test aborts it will display an error code and only HP can interpret the code.
    If the test is still running and as made 2 passes > press the keyboard escape key to abort the test > view the UEFI diagnostic log > post the results into the thread.

zbook, Jan 25, 2018
  9. Derpping Win User
    Thank you! I'll run the test later as I was away from home. How long does the test take, so is it necessary to run it overnight? I also checked the beep codes - it's one long beep, but the American Megatrends BIOS section claims the beep codes are on startup.

Derpping, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD every now and then, seems to happen only during games - Similar Threads - BSOD every seems

2. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f - Seems to be ocurring during gaming only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f - Seems to be ocurring during gaming only: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7fThis means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kindthat the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch bound trap or thatis always instant death double fault. The first number in theBugCheck params is the number of the trap 8 = double...
  3. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f - Seems to be ocurring during gaming only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f - Seems to be ocurring during gaming only: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7fThis means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kindthat the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch bound trap or thatis always instant death double fault. The first number in theBugCheck params is the number of the trap 8 = double...
  4. BSOD happening randomly, every now and then. Caused by ntoskrnl.exe+3f5a80

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD happening randomly, every now and then. Caused by ntoskrnl.exe+3f5a80: Hi, So I've been experiencing BSOD a lot since I built my PC last April 2020. Each time it always pointed to ntoskrnl.exe as viewed on bluescreen dump below. So I've updated my BIOS did a fresh windows install around 2 weeks ago didn't have any problems for a good week and a...
  5. Troubleshooting GPU issue, now experiencing BSOD during every boot.

Troubleshooting GPU issue, now experiencing BSOD during every boot.: Hello, First of all - I am currently unable (as far as my IT knowledge allows me) to provide you with a dump file because I am stuck in a boot loop. An overview of the current situation: A BSOD (Critical_Process_Died) happens during every boot. It happens a few seconds...
  6. BSOD during gaming

BSOD during gaming: Hi, so I have been experiencing blue screens during any form of intensive gaming e.g. Battlefield, Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I assumed it was a memory related issue, I have replaced the kit of RAM I was using to no success. I have since also replaced my motherboard as it was...
  7. BSOD only happening when gaming

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD only happening when gaming: As in the title. I frequently get bluescreen while gaming every 2-5 hours or so. It says either "UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION" or "MEMORY_MANAGMENT". The dump file is here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnTADmJrCL1Tg0SkhhW3l5u-HcfU .Help would be highly appreciated Thanks a lot Chris...
  8. BSOD MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during every game

BSOD MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during every game: Hello everyone. So I´ve had this PC for a year now, recently I´ve been getting Blue screens with this "Machine check exception code" it happened once then nothing for a while. Then it happened again, more and more often and as of today I cant play video games anymore cause it...
  9. BSOD happening every day now

BSOD happening every day now: I started getting this bsod a few weeks ago. Lately the screen is unreadable when everything crashes however before it started doing that I would get WHEA_uncorrectable_error. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached the debug folder like the tutorial said. I...
  10. Bsod never happen, now its happen

Bsod never happen, now its happen: Before this im using windows 8.1, after upgrade to win10 my laptop start Bsod especially when playing dota2, then i rolll back to win8.1 in hope that the problem solve, now in win8.1 the bsod keep happen too, can u help me. 42522