Windows 10: BSOD Issues Unsolved For A Long Time

Discus and support BSOD Issues Unsolved For A Long Time in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'd like to give some background on this since this has been happening for probably over a year now and I still haven't been able to get this fixed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Absoguar, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Absoguar Win User

BSOD Issues Unsolved For A Long Time

I'd like to give some background on this since this has been happening for probably over a year now and I still haven't been able to get this fixed. I'll try to give as much information as possible and if anyone takes the time to read my rambling then I'll love you forever. Maybe.

So, around a year ago I started getting BSODs that happened at seemingly random times. I could be playing a game or watching a video and I'd get one regardless. They usually happened 1 to 3 times a day for about a week, then I'd get nothing for a month and then we'd be back to square one. The BSOD always seemed to suggest that it was a driver causing these errors, but despite posting on several forums and getting help from a number of people I've never been able to figure out what's actually causing this. Eventually I decided to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and doing a clean install in the hopes that it would get rid of my issue. It didn't.

Within days of upgrading to Windows 10 I had another BSOD and the cycle continued as normal. About a month or two ago, NVIDIA released some rather unstable drivers for their GPUs, I installed these drivers (prior to knowing the issues they were causing) and seemingly had no problem with them, but they did seem to change something. I was no longer getting BSODs, instead my computer would just crash to a black screen and then reset, no minidumps would be produced when this happened.

A few days ago I decided to rollback these drivers, and I'm back to square one again! I'm getting BSODs fairly frequently and I still have no idea why. The drivers would seem to point at my GPU but I do a clean driver install every single time and I haven't had a single case of my GPU overheating or producing visual artefacts so in my mind that rules it out.

Someone on one of the forums I posted on suggested it might be my PSU, as around the time I started getting the BSOD-less crashes, Event Viewer would only tell me that it was a Kernel Power error, this led me to upgrade my PSU to one with slightly more voltage but this has changed nothing and was just a stupid waste of money on my part.

If you're willing to help and want any more details I'll be happy to tell you what I can, I don't have any dump files from last year since they all got purged along with Windows 7 when I upgraded.

:)

Absoguar, Apr 21, 2016

2. Unsolvable BSOD

Hi,

Suspect any 3rd party antivirus (if used) and/or the network drivers in use.

Run DriverVerifier (see below) to see if it can indicate a CAUSE.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

We can analyze the minidumps if you make them available from the OneDrive or other file sharing sites (such as MediaFire).
    If you have problems uploading the minidumps copy them to the Desktop or the Documents folder and upload them from there.

Adding files to your OneDrive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/getting-started-onedrive-tutorial

Upload photos and files

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/add-photos-files

One-Drive - Share files and folders and change permissions

Share OneDrive files and folders

Zip or upload the contents of C:\Windows\minidump
    Use OneDrive to upload collected files

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

====================================================

BCCode: D1 0x000000D1

Think Video drivers mainly though it can be others. See the driver section in my

generic bluescreen troubleshooting methods below. BIOS,
    low level chipset

drivers, antivirus/antispyway/security programs, and other drivers
    can also

cause this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BCCode: d1 0x000000d1 <-- read this link

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Bug Check 0xD1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL <-- read this link

Bug Check 0xD1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

==================================================

This utility makes it easy to see which versions are loaded :

Run DriverView - set VIEW to Hide Microsoft drivers - update those without

Dump in their names (and update BIOS and chipset).

DriverView - Free - utility displays the list of all device drivers currently loaded

on your system. For each driver in the list, additional useful information is

displayed: load address of the driver, description, version, product name,

company that created the driver, and more.

DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List

For Drivers check System Maker as fallbacks and Device Maker's which are the

most current. Control Panel - Device Manager - Display Adapter - write down

the make and complete model of your video adapter - double click - Driver's

tab - write down the version info. Now click UPdate Driver (this may not do

anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers) - then Right Click - Uninstall -

REBOOT this will refresh the driver stack.

Repeat that for Network - Network Card (NIC), Wifi, Sound, Mouse and Keyboard

if 3rd party with their own software and drivers and any other major device drivers

you have.

Now go to System Maker's site (Dell, HP, Toshiba as examples) (as rollback) and

then Device Maker's site (Realtek, Intel, Nvidia, ATI as examples) and get their

latest versions. (Look for BIOS, Chipset, and software updates at System Maker's

site while there.)

Download - SAVE - go to where you put them - Right Click - RUN AD ADMIN -

REBOOT after each installation.

Always check in Device Manager - Drivers tab to be sure the version you are

installing actually shows up. This is because some drivers rollback before the

latest is installed (sound drivers particularly do this) so install a driver - reboot

- check to be sure it is installed and repeat as needed.

Repeat at Device Makers - BTW at Device Makers DO NOT RUN THEIR SCANNER -

heck manually by model.

Manually look at manufacturer's sites for drivers - and Device Maker's sites.

How to Find and Download Drivers

====================================================

Memory tests do not catch all errors such as mismatched memory (possible even

for sticks that appear to be identical) and when faster memory is placed in system

behind slower memory. So it is best to also swap sticks in and out to check for

those even if all memory tests fail to show a problem.

To test RAM check here - let it run 4+ hours or so. <-- best method

www.memtest.org

MemTestX86 - Test RAM With

MemTest86+ - Test RAM

For the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

Type in Cortana's search box -> Windows Memory Diagnostics

at top of list - click it. in Windows 8/8.1/10 the name is "Windows Memory

Diagnostic".

================================================

After doing ALL the updates you can, and if the issue continues, then run

DriverVerifier. (Remember to use the Windows 10 methods posted at the

top of the original reply above.)

Driver Verifier can help find some BSOD issues :

Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

How To Troubleshoot Driver Problems in Windows Vista or 7. (8/8.1 and 10

are essemtially the same).

Driver Verifier Manager & Device Manager in Windows

Using Driver Verifier

Using Driver Verifier

How to use Windows Driver Verifier Manager to Troubleshoot & Identify Driver

Issues

Driver Verifier

http://www.techsupportforum.com/2110308-post3.html

Using Driver Verifier

Using Driver Verifier

You can disable Driver Verifier

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

WINKEY + X - RUN - type in -> verifier /reset hit enter to disable

Use BlueScreenView to see if there is a driver specified in the error message.

Also check with MyEventViewer at the time of the BlueScreen.

If DriverVerifier creates a minidump upload it and post the link here so we can

analyze it.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Apr 21, 2016
  3. Unsolvable BSOD

Hi,

Yes I did see it and that is why I mentioned the antivirus and network drivers.

wfplwfs.sys is a Windows component which means something else drove it into Fault

(if a Windows component were involved millions would have the issue so it is very

rare for a user to discover that sort of bug.)

Rob - SpirtX

SpiritX MS MVP, Apr 21, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Absoguar,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

I'd like to have some more information about your system, see below for more.
    I have analyzed the most recent dump files, a few of them are blaming the Nvidia display drivers so I would give a suggestion to only install the display drivers without anything else to start with.

Please uninstall everything of Nvidia using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from Nvidia. Be sure the clean install box is checked and only install the Graphics driver and the PhysX driver.
    Attachment 76145
    Code: 7: kd> lmvm nvlddmkm Browse full module list start end module name fffff800`c6560000 fffff800`c7185000 nvlddmkm (deferred) Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys Image name: nvlddmkm.sys Browse all global symbols functions data Timestamp: Tue Feb 23 20:31:51 2016 (56CCB3A7) CheckSum: 00BEE1BE ImageSize: 00C25000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote] Please run CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID, open it and make screenshots of the following tabs
    • CPU
    • Mainboard
    • Memory
    • SPD*
    • Graphics
    *SPD shows the details of each module, you can show the details by choosing different slots in the left upper corner.
    Please make screenshots of each module.

Please post each screenshot in your next reply/replies.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling system and other used stuff. PSU, cooling system and other used stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.How to fill in your system specs:

BSOD Issues Unsolved For A Long Time [​IMG]

BSOD Issues Unsolved For A Long Time [​IMG]

5. Absoguar Win User
    I'll do another clean install of the lastest drivers again although I did mention in my post that the newest drivers are unstable and they still caused crashes when I used them.

I've updated my PC specs.

These are the CPUID tabs: (I'll include the last one in the next reply.)
    Attachment 76148Attachment 76149Attachment 76150Attachment 76151Attachment 76152

Absoguar, Apr 21, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    You did indeed, but it is only to remove all unnecessary stuff *Smile

Could you let me know what the temperatures are when your system is under load please.

What are the 3.3v, 5v and 12v values + the memory frequency, voltage & latency according to the BIOS?

7. Absoguar Win User
    My GPU goes up to about 74-75 degrees C under load, the CPU I've never seen go higher than 50 especially after installing a new fan.

I went through the ENTIRETY of my BIOS and the only things I've been able to find that you wanted to see are the memory voltages, everything else I can really only tell you by using the HWMonitor but from what I recall it's not entirely accurate.

DDR3 1.5v - 1.472v
    3.3v - 3.296v
    12v - 12.048

Absoguar, Apr 21, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

I'd like to try safe mode to rule most of the things out immediately, thus splitting it up between hardware and 3rd party drivers/software & GPU.
    I think you've done this before, but I'm not aware of the result which is why I would like to try it.
    Please try booting in safe mode and see if the problem persist.

9. Absoguar Win User
    I've done it before but not on any large scale, I'd have to have my PC in safe mode for at least a week to get some conclusive results.

Absoguar, Apr 21, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Take the time you need, there is no rush in it *Smile

11. Absoguar Win User
    So I just put my PC into safe mode, but right before that happened I got another BSOD...I have no way of uploading it currently but WhoCrashed blames it on usbport.sys and gives a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error.

Apparently it was caused by my USB 1.1 and 2.0 driver.

Absoguar, Apr 22, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    More likely your USB devices, possibly your Razer keyboard as Razer drivers and software are known for being a bit problematic sometimes.

13. Absoguar Win User

I should mention that this keyboard is relatively new, these BSODs have been going on way longer than I've had it.

Absoguar, Apr 22, 2016
  14. axe0 New Member
    Since I have no dump (yet) this is based on the assumption that WhoCrashed is a bit close.

Remove all unnecessary USB devices, meaning everything but mouse & keyboard, and switch the mouse and keyboard from USB port.

Don't forget to update the drivers of the USB devices too *Smile (this can be done later)

15. Absoguar Win User
    The only other thing I had plugged in is a USB Headset, I unplugged that but I left the headphone/microphone jacks in (I can easily take them out if that's an issue). Plugged the mouse and keyboard into different USB ports. I think it's unlikely that my headset is causing this since I've also bought this AFTER the BSODs started but who knows.

Had to take my PC out of safe mode to upload this but I've attached the new minidump below. I zipped it up on its own since apparently we're not allowed to attach dmp files. Good to know *Biggrin

Absoguar, Apr 22, 2016
Thema:

1. BSOD Issues Unsolved For A Long Time - Similar Threads - BSOD Issues Unsolved

2. crazy locking "unsolved" issue!! UNLOCK!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    crazy locking "unsolved" issue!! UNLOCK!!!: Unlock this thread since it seems not clear for everybody. remove brother printer driver to reactivate memory integrity - Microsoft Communitythere is a workaround. only must find it again since i had data-crash.brother only told half truth.-pls search in windows for that...
  3. crazy locking "unsolved" issue!! UNLOCK!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    crazy locking "unsolved" issue!! UNLOCK!!!: Unlock this thread since it seems not clear for everybody. remove brother printer driver to reactivate memory integrity - Microsoft Communitythere is a workaround. only must find it again since i had data-crash.brother only told half truth.-pls search in windows for that...
  4. Unsolved issues...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsolved issues...: Great Microsoft! Your support team is absolutely fantastic. Just because the post is about Windows 10, you are going to ignore it??? I have 2 posts that your people didn't even look at, please review and solve. POST1 and POST2. Thank you....
  5. Unsolved issues...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unsolved issues...: Great Microsoft! Your support team is absolutely fantastic. Just because the post is about Windows 10, you are going to ignore it??? I have 2 posts that your people didn't even look at, please review and solve. POST1 and POST2. Thank you....
  6. Unsolved issue - Start button not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unsolved issue - Start button not working: I have unsolved thread going on - LINK. First read everything of there even the repliesthen read this to understand what I am talking. So the problem is still not solved. And this problem is not only for me, it is an actual bug in Windows. I suppose there is a problem in the...
  7. Long windows boot time issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Long windows boot time issue: Has anyone else been having longer boot times since updating to the most recent version of windows 10. I updated on Dec 10th and it takes anywhere between 10-20 minutes now when it used to take 30 seconds to 2 minutes. submitted by /u/Tri3nforcer [link] [comments]...
  8. Unsolvable Screen Gap Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unsolvable Screen Gap Issue: [ATTACH] As far as I know Windows hasn't solved the issue where using a mixed set of resolutions works well. Monitor Resolution Gaps I've spent a lot of time trying to slam the sides of the monitors together to remove the gaps but it refuses to work. Not to mention,...
  9. Unsolved issue with BSOD, Win10

Unsolved issue with BSOD, Win10: Hi! At the beginning sorry for any language mistakes. I was directed here by Microsoft support, for last few months I have been receiving randomly BSOD during or after playing, watching movies on YT or Netflix. Sometimes it is just crash to desktop without errors and after...
  10. Previously Unsolved BSOD Returns

Previously Unsolved BSOD Returns: Hello, this is a continuation from a previous thread. Please read it if you are unfamiliar with prior events. OneDrive links broken, see the new OneDrive link below....