Windows 10: BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install

Discus and support BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This is on an old eMachines M6805 laptop that originally came with XP 32-bit. I put a fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit on it which ran fine. I then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by huhqwerty, Aug 22, 2015.

1. huhqwerty Win User

BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install

This is on an old eMachines M6805 laptop that originally came with XP 32-bit. I put a fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit on it which ran fine. I then upgraded that to Windows 10 32-bit. The first time it booted up I was able to log in but got a BSOD shortly thereafter. Ever since it BSODs without even getting to the desktop. The only way I have been able to even get into it is via Safe Mode so I assume it is a driver that it doesn't like but I don't know how to figure out which driver is causing a problem (odd that it all worked fine in Win 7, though).

Any help is appreciated.

:)

huhqwerty, Aug 22, 2015

2. MS Tech Support Saying I can not do a Fresh Install of Windows 10 after Upgrade ?? Unless I buy a new Key !

Ok,

So I did the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10.

Then I formatted my Boot SSD and did a fresh install of Win 10 from USB Key.

Was getting the Activation Error so called MS today via chat and they advised the following --

Conversation --

MS SUPPORT

11:38

The thing is, in our tool. Your Windows 10 Key is Blocked from Activating. Also, it is a Default Key for Windows 10. Meaning you can only use it once. If you try to use it for a Fresh Install Windows 10, you are more likely to receive an Activation Error.

Also, we don't advice Fresh Installing Windows 10 because of this error. BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install :)

Not unless you have a Windows 10 Retail Key.

Which I can help you purchase through our Store. :

Or, you can reinstall back your Windows 7 then Upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10 again. BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install :)

ME

11:41

What ?

I have a Windows 7 Key - the Win 10 upgrade was suppose to be FREE

MS SUPPORT

11:42

Like I said, we don't advice Fresh Installing Windows 10 no unless you have a Retail Key for it. Windows 10 has the special ability to recognize your Windows 7 key when activated. That is why you are no longer ask to ACTIVATE Windows 10 once upgraded from Windows
    7. BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install :)

ME

11:44

If I go ahead and do a fresh install of Win 7 now and upgrade to Win 10 - as you said, Win 10 has special ability to recognise my Win 7 key whilst upgrading.

But are you saying that I can never do a fresh/ clean install of Win 10 - basically unless I pay for a Win 10 Product key ??

MS SUPPORT

11:46

Yes, you are correct. BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install :)

So, you can upgrade once and that is it ??

What does everyone think ?

Have you done a fresh install after the upgrade and did it work ? If yes, where did you get the WIN 10 key to allow you do a fresh install ??

I will be busy tonight - quite annoyed !

Emilio Garcia_922, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Fresh Install of Win 10

I have a PC with Win 7 and I did an upgrade to Win 10 and it seemed to work fine except I wanted to do a fresh install and I did not see how to do a fresh install. So with this PC which now has Win 10 how can I do a fresh install?

Also, I have 2 other PCs (1 with Win 7 the other Win 8.1) how can I do a fresh install to start off with?

Thanks for your help.

NeilGoldwein, Aug 22, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi huhqwerty,

Welcome to the 10forums.

The crashes are caused by extremely old audio drivers.
    Updating them could solve it.

Creative
    Code: kd> lmvm ALCXSENSstart end module name 8ab60000 8abbfa00 ALCXSENS T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: ALCXSENS.SYS Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ALCXSENS.SYS Image name: ALCXSENS.SYS Timestamp: Wed Nov 05 15:44:52 2003 (3FA90CE4) CheckSum: 00062474 ImageSize: 0005FA00 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote] Realtek
    Code: kd> lmvm RTKVACstart end module name a0300000 a06f9200 RTKVAC T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: RTKVAC.SYS Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\RTKVAC.SYS Image name: RTKVAC.SYS Timestamp: Thu Jun 18 21:36:37 2009 (4A3A9745) CheckSum: 00400CA0 ImageSize: 003F9200 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]

5. huhqwerty Win User
    Hi axe0,

It was the sound driver (AC97 based) which is apparently a very common issue for Windows 10. See this post (if allowed to link to other sites) for details on how to fix it. Basically, you have to uninstall and delete the RealTek driver that is installed, turn off automatic updates since that seems to be what causes the problem, and install the old driver.

Thanks for the help.

huhqwerty, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install - Similar Threads - BSOD loop boot

2. BSOD New Computer Fresh Win 10 Install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD New Computer Fresh Win 10 Install: Hey Guys, I have just built a new AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Computer (all details in profile) and I am experiencing random BSOD's. I have installed the latest drivers and reinstalled windows but no joy. It seems to happen when I am not actively using the computer (I am a gamer and...
  3. Random BSOD on fresh win 10 install

Random BSOD on fresh win 10 install: Hi everyone! I've recently fresh installed windows 10 on a new pc and I am randomly getting BSOD with random tasks (browsing, using windows explorer, you name it) The error stated in the blue screen was "Kernel Heap Mode Corruption" and this seems to lead most of you to...
  4. Fresh install of Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install of Win 10: I have an 2014 vintage ASUS Transformer that I would like to wipe clean and buy/install Windows 10. The problem is the original Win 8.1 install seems to be corrupt. It will not update, and if I try to refresh or reinstall, it wants the installation media, which I do not have....
  5. fresh win 10

fresh win 10: I had windows insider on a laptop that I want to give to my Grandaughter,so I thought I was installing a fresh copy of win 10,but it went back to windows 7. Now how can I get back to a fresh copy of win 10? Please help,Thanks Steve...
  6. Fresh Install Win 10

Fresh Install Win 10: My two PC were free upgraded to Win 10 last year. I want to re install the Win 10 on one of that PC due to virus in that PC which is not getting removed. My question is, how to re install Win 10 and how it will be activated. Do I need to note down some thing from this PC to...
  7. BSOD after fresh Win 10 install

BSOD after fresh Win 10 install: Was having various issues with BSOD's for a couple weeks previously, and it all seemed point to being driver related so I reinstalled Win 10 from scratch. After reinstalling, I am having new BSOD's seemingly at random with dxgmms2.sys. Would love to know what I managed to...
  8. BSOD boot loop in spite of fresh Win 10 install

BSOD boot loop in spite of fresh Win 10 install: edit: Some awful grammar Hi folks, I did read the "post instructions" thread but I cannot actually boot in to windows presently (typing this from my work computer) so the DM Log collector won't help. System: i5 6600K @4.5ghz, 16 Kingston Hyper X 2666mmhz RAM,...
  9. Various BSOD after fresh win 10 install

Various BSOD after fresh win 10 install: Hello everyone, I am having a huge problem since 4 days with my desktop PC. I had windows 8.1 running and had lots of different BSODs. I then decided to format my SSD (128GB) and install fresh windows 10. At the beginning (first hours) everything was running fine. I...
  10. Upgrading Win 7 that is freshly installed on an external USB 2.0 HDD

Upgrading Win 7 that is freshly installed on an external USB 2.0 HDD: Hello, I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro (x64) onto an external hard drive (connected via USB 2.0). (I used a freeware program called WinToUSB to achieve this.) It now exists alongside my normal Windows 7 installation (which is on an internal SSD). My...