Windows 10: BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034

Discus and support BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My first thought is that you do not have set your internal hard drive (with the installed OS) as the first boot device on the BIOS after the repair but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dmdordan, Oct 2, 2015.

1. lifetec Win User

BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034

My first thought is that you do not have set your internal hard drive (with the installed OS) as the first boot device on the BIOS after the repair but your USB is still set as first boot.

lifetec, Feb 17, 2017

2. Thank you for your prompt reply and help!
    I have the problem whether the USB stick or the main hard drive (it's a Samsung SSD) is earlier than the other in the BIOS's Boot list, so I don't think that's it. Rather, I'm suspecting the problem is that my drive list in Disk Management does not show any drive whose Status is "Healthy (EFI System Partition)". I don't understand what that means, but I see my other computers have one. Here is a screen capture of my Disk Management screen:

BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034 [​IMG]

davidbermancom, Feb 17, 2017
  3. lifetec Win User
    lifetec, Feb 17, 2017
  4. BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034

Thank you lifetec, yes I am up for that!

However (because I've never done something like this and don't want to screw up),
    I an unclear on this point: is my goal to convert that last drive list on my screen capture to go from being "Healthy (Recovery Partition)" to "Healthy (EFI System Partition)"? ...or is my goal to add another partition that will end up named "Healthy (EFI System Partition)"? Or something else?
    And if I am creating another partition: does it matter where in the partition order it is? And where will the space needed for it come from (i.e. do I have to first make another partition smaller in order so that there is some space to give to the new partition)?

Thank you very much!

davidbermancom, Feb 18, 2017
  5. axe0 New Member
    If you have a GPT partitioning, the goal is to have at least the following partitions
    Healthy (Recovery Partition)
    Healthy (EFI System Partition)
    C:

If you have a MBR partitioning, the goal is to have at least the following partitions
    Healthy (recovery)
    C: (System, Active, Primary partition)

C: is the partition on which Windows is installed, the lettter may vary depending on what partition someone chooses to install, but this is the standard letter.

If you don't see the EFI system partition, it usually means that you have MBR partitioning. But since the picture of your disk management is gone I can't confirm this, because there are many situations where the partitioning is just messed up.

6. Thank you very much, Axe0. Your words are helping clarify this for me.

I'm somewhat confident I had an EFI partition before things went wrong, but I am not sure. How can I determine if I am GPT or MBR?

Here is the screen capture again of my Disk Management:

BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034 [​IMG]

7. axe0 New Member
  8. BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034

Certainly... I have attached a screen capture, inline:

Attachment 121974

9. axe0 New Member
    It looks like you have a MBR partitioning, so you don't have to worry about the EFI partition.

10. Thank you. I am still skeptical about it being MBR, because we have an identical machine with identical hardware and OS and it has a EFI Partition on its SSD. Is there a test I can do to confirm I am MBR vs EFI?

Also, I an unclear on this point: is my goal to convert that last drive list on my screen capture to go from being "Healthy (Recovery Partition)" to "Healthy (EFI System Partition)" (or the MBR equivalent)? ...or is my goal to add another partition that will end up named "Healthy (EFI System Partition)" (or the MBR equivalent)?

And if I am creating another partition: does it matter where in the partition order it is? And where will the space needed for it come from (i.e. do I have to first make one of the existing partitions smaller in order so that there is some space to give to the new partition)?

davidbermancom, Feb 19, 2017
  11. axe0 New Member
    This is my partitioning, with GPT
    Attachment 122127

For the goal, see my previous post, I edited the post a little to correct a few things with MBR partitioning. The recovery partition is an optional partition that I believe is created when the OS is being reinstalled (or upgraded).

I believe the order doesn't really matter. As an example, a few days ago I reinstalled my system completely because I found out that the EFI partition was installed on Disk 1 between the 2nd and the 3rd partition (Disk 1 was at the time Disk 0 because I accidentally switched the connections). The partitioning of Disk 1 was a chaos due to a previous Windows installation that I used for testing.

To create a new partition, you have to shrink a partition.

12. Hi axe0.
    Thank you.
    So, I used Disk Management to Shrink a partition to get a spare 1GB.
    Then I tried to create a new EFI partition using diskpart's "create partition efi size=260" command.
    But sadly this resulted in a long error message: "No usable free extent could be found..." even though I have 1GB available.
    Is there a limit to how many partitions I am allowed to have?

davidbermancom, Feb 21, 2017
  13. axe0 New Member

BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034

Open an admin command prompt and enter following commands
    Code: diskpart list disk[/quote] If you see a * below GPT, it means EFI partition should normally be present, then we'll go from there.

See below image for an example
    Attachment 122325

14. Thank you.
    Here is what I see when I do that:

==========
    Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0
    Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: DAVIDMAIN
    DISKPART> list disk
    Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 931 GB 700 MB
    Disk 1 Online 14 GB 0 B
    Disk 2 Online 14 GB 7240 MB
    Disk 3 Online 239 GB 0 B

================
    ... as you can see, there are no asterisks in the Gpt column.

Disk 0 is the drive that is my drive C:, that used to happily boot Windows 10, but no longer does so. Disk 2 is the USB stick that I currently must use to boot Windows.

Thank you,
    David

If you see a * below GPT, it means EFI partition should normally be present, then we'll go from there.

See below image for an example
    Attachment 122325[/quote]

davidbermancom, Mar 31, 2017
  15. axe0 New Member
    Download an ISO from this post, mount the ISO on a USB and boot from the USB. When booted, open Macrium and use the 'fix boot problems' option.

Thema:

BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034

1. BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034 - Similar Threads - BSOD Boot 0xc0000034

2. Fix the boot for error code 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fix the boot for error code 0xc0000034: Hello microsoft support. I once had an error for error code 0xc0000034. It read as follows: --FORM-- Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. An unknown error occurred. I will only list that much, so, I had it reading "An Unknown Error Occurred." I booted into...
  3. Error 0xc0000034, can't access Boot media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error 0xc0000034, can't access Boot media: I have been trying to load the BIOS on my computer, attempting to boot from the USB so I could reinstall Windows 10 to allow an unallocated partition. Now I am stuck at this error message when I start up, no BIOS screens, the ESC, F1, and F2 are useless, I have my boot drive...
  4. boot BCD 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boot BCD 0xc0000034: ช่วยทีครับคอมขึ้น boot BCD 0xc0000034 แล้วพอเปิดไว้สักพักเครื่องรีสต๊าทตลอดเลย แล้วก็ปิดเครื่องไม่ได้ ปิดปุ๊ปก็เปิดใหม่ตลอดต้องถอดปลั๊กอย่างเดียว https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-bcd-0xc0000034/f8ad963c-967b-4462-b369-f966c84c60b8
  5. file:\boot\bcd 0xc0000034 - Restore & Repair NOT Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file:\boot\bcd 0xc0000034 - Restore & Repair NOT Working: Hi I have an old Dell Dimension 5150 and recently it had a blue screen and now wont boot Im getting the similar PC/Device Boot\BCD issue people have posted lots on here about but non of the repair or clean installs work for me I have a new Windows10 disk and configure...
  6. BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot

BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot: The other night, my Dell Latitude 2120 netbook froze, so I forced it to shut down. When I started it up again, I got the BSOD. I upgraded it many months ago from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The BSOD says: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The boot configuration data file...
  7. BSOD error 0xc0000034 BCD corrupt or missing files

BSOD error 0xc0000034 BCD corrupt or missing files: Hi guys, It has been 2 weeks and i am facing this problem. I have tried all the solutions on internet . I know this error is because I deleted an entry named BCD in registry. luckily i had dual booted Kali linux. I cannot even reset as the drive is locked. I am willing to do...
  8. BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 File:\EF\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 File:\EF\Microsoft\Boot\BCD: Hi all! I have a W101 V2 RCA 10 inch tablet. After installing webcam drivers from RCA customer service, a few reboots later I recieved a BSOD that included the message "Press Windows key for UEFI Firmware settings." And also, File:\EF\Microsoft\Boot\BCD Error Code...
  9. Issues with boot windows (Errors 0xc0000034 & 0xc0000225)

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues with boot windows (Errors 0xc0000034 & 0xc0000225): Refer to Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet for all the images I use in this post. I restarted my computer this morning (2013 Toshiba Portege Z930) and was greeted with this error (image 1). After some research I decided to load a bootable windows 10 onto a...
  10. \Boot\BCD Error Code 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Support
    \Boot\BCD Error Code 0xc0000034: Hi there, and thanks in advance for your help. I am using a Lenovo Ideapad 310-15ISK (model name 80SM) running Windows 10. I am receiving an error on boot 'Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors....
Tags: