Windows 10: BSOD on cold start – abnormal windows shutdown

Discus and support BSOD on cold start – abnormal windows shutdown in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; About a month ago I started getting a BSOD when I first turned on the computer that day. After the system collected the event data and restarted,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RLaRock, Jul 27, 2017.

1. RLaRock Win User

BSOD on cold start – abnormal windows shutdown

About a month ago I started getting a BSOD when I first turned on the computer that day. After the system collected the event data and restarted, everything ran fine from that point forward. Then, a few days ago, the computer suddenly only would boot to a black screen.

Looking over the system, there appeared to be several corrupt files which even though I repaired them with SFC and DISM, still would not allow the computer to complete a full boot.

So, I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro, reinstalling all the latest drivers and all the windows updates. All was fine for a couple days, but now the BSOD’s have returned (one yesterday, one today).

They only happen on a cold start up, and looking at the Reliability Report, it appears that 3 errors occur:
    - Windows was not shut down properly
    - Windows stopped working
    - Shut down unexpectedly

The dump files are attached.

I’ve run HD Tune with no errors (below) and ran FurMark for 30 minutes without issue and GPU reaching a max temp of 71C. I ran the memory tests several times for about 30 minutes with no errors. Running Prime95 also seemed to be fine, the CPU reached 42C but seemed otherwise unaffected.

I ran ChkDsk – no errors found, and checked the drive status in Samsung Magician and SMART data and overall health shows fine.

The SSD has the latest firmware from Samsung, and I'm running the latest NVidia drivers. All ASUS drivers and bios updates have also been installed.

Once the system is up, it runs seemingly flawlessly all day long, handling everything from Photoshop to video intensive gaming.

I did notice in the reliability report though that Google Chrome has several entries where it says it ‘Stopped Working’ – which seem to coincided to my closing the browser, so I’m not sure if this is normal misbehavior on Chrome’s part or if its related some how.

I’m at a loss what to check next and the last thing I want to do is just start randomly replacing hardware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------------

Hardware List:

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Video: EVGA GTX 650 FTW
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
    Power: Rosewill 750w
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 (not over clocked)
    Memory: Single Corsair Vengeance 8 Gb at 1866 MHz

HD Tune: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G Information

Firmware version : EMT02B6Q
    Serial number : S21NNXAGA59341B
    Capacity : 232.9 GB (~250.1 GB)
    Buffer size : n/a
    Standard : ATA/ATAPI-0 - SATA II
    Supported mode : UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)
    Current mode : UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)
    S.M.A.R.T : yes
    48-bit Address : yes
    Read Look-Ahead : yes
    Write Cache : yes
    Host Protected Area : yes
    Device Configuration Overlay : yes
    Automatic Acoustic Management: no
    Power Management : yes
    Advanced Power Management : no
    Power-up in Standby : no
    Security Mode : yes
    Firmware Upgradable : yes
    Partition : 1
    Drive letter :
    Label :
    Capacity : 100 MB
    Usage : 0.00%
    Type : NTFS
    Bootable : Yes

Partition : 2
    Drive letter : C:\
    Label :
    Capacity : 237923 MB
    Usage : 37.95%
    Type : NTFS
    Bootable : No

Partition : 3
    Drive letter :
    Label :
    Capacity : 450 MB
    Usage : 0.00%
    Type : unknown (27h)
    Bootable : No

HD Tune: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 331.4 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 383.3 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average : 353.7 MB/sec
    Access Time : 0.1 ms
    Burst Rate : 166.8 MB/sec
    CPU Usage : 5.2%

HD Tune: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G Health
    ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status
    (05) Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 10 0 Ok
    (09) Power On Hours Count 98 98 0 6957 Ok
    (0C) Power Cycle Count 98 98 0 1027 Ok
    (B1) (unknown attribute) 97 97 0 49 Ok
    (B3) (unknown attribute) 100 100 10 0 Ok
    (B5) (unknown attribute) 100 100 10 0 Ok
    (B6) (unknown attribute) 100 100 10 0 Ok
    (B7) (unknown attribute) 100 100 10 0 Ok
    (BB) (unknown attribute) 100 100 0 0 Ok
    (BE) Airflow Temperature 70 58 0 30 Ok
    (C3) Hardware ECC Recovered 200 200 0 0 Ok
    (C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 100 100 0 0 Ok
    (EB) (unknown attribute) 99 99 0 68 Ok
    (F1) (unknown attribute) 99 99 0 -202545463 Ok
    Power On Time : 6957
    Health Status : Ok

HD Tune: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G Error Scan
    Scanned data : 238379 MB
    Damaged Blocks : 0.0 %
    Elapsed Time : 13:01

:)

RLaRock, Jul 27, 2017

2. Why does Windows 10 randomly start in Safe Mode without prompting to do so?

The problem is inconsistent. Some days my computer boots just fine. Other days it starts in safe mode for no evident reason and with no changes to the system or abnormal shutdown.

Happens on an HP Desktop and an Acer laptop.

PhilipSedgwick, Jul 27, 2017
  3. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

I updated my Bios driver to latest.

I could no longer boot, "BootMgr is missing". After searching the boards and troubleshooting, the bios had changed the hard drive to boot from. I was able to successfully boot up into Win10.

Cold start continued to produce BSOD, as before.

Following Team ZigZag suggestions, rename Pnp680.sys to *.bak, resolved BSOD and now cold start and warm start smoothly into Win10.

Many thanks to your quick responses.

Very helpful and much appreciated!

Markpowellseattlerain, Jul 27, 2017
  4. BSOD on cold start – abnormal windows shutdown

Looks like deffective RAM or Hard disks (not the SSD, the other disks). Please run memtest 8 passes long (this will run 24 - 48 hours). Please check the other disks via hdtune and crystaldiskinfo too.

BSOD on cold start – abnormal windows shutdown [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note MemTest86+ V5.01 needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

More Info here: Memory problems. - Microsoft Community

Make a photo of the result and post it.

BSODHunter, Jul 27, 2017
  5. RLaRock Win User
    Thanks for looking at this.

The disk errors seem related to the same disk - disk 4 (HBSOD on cold start – abnormal windows shutdown :) which is actually a USB drive that I was using at the time, but which is normally not connected to the system.

I'm running the HD Tune tests on the other internal drives (3 WD Blue 1Tb drives), as well as the other suggested tests and will report back.

Thanks again.

RLaRock, Jul 27, 2017
  6. RLaRock Win User
    Well I ran SFC and DISM commands and no corruption was found.

Attachment 146259

I ran the HD Tune on the other 3 drives and they all passed without error (I can include the screen shots if you'd like to see them).

ChkDsk required a reboot and after completing, booted to windows indicating no errors.

I ran the Memtest86 v5.01 through 8 passes - which ran for almost 20 hours, and no errors were found.

Attachment 146261

CrystalDiskInfo reports "Good 100%" for the SSD and just 'Good' for the 3 1Tb HDs.

When the MemTest finsihed, I booted to windows and had no errors, though I kind of expected that since the errors seem to occur only when doing a cold start.

One thought I had was to run Memtest from a cold start and see if that shows a memory issue.

RLaRock, Jul 29, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    1) Make sure that there is no over clocking while troubleshooting.

Sometimes there are problems in the bios that produce bsod.

The bios in your computer: BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2501, 4/7/2014

2) Please check to see if this is the most up to date version.

3) To ensure that there are no improper bios settings please reset the bios.

Sometimes there can be failure to boot after resetting the bios.

4) So please make sure your files are backed up.

5) Please make a backup image with Macrium:

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free: Macrium Software | Your image is everything

6) And please create a restore point.

How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings:

How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings

3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow:

3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow

7) Cobian backup is one of the problem signatures and faulting applications:
    Problem signatureBSOD on cold start – abnormal windows shutdown :p1: cbService.exe
    Please find a source to download and then uninstall and reinstall this application.

8) Turn off Windows fast startup:

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

9) please post a one drive or drop box share link for the chkdsk log:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

10) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste: shutdown /r /o /f /t 00
    When the computer reboots it will open the windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu
    Navigate to startup options then select #6 safe mode with command prompt
    In order to turn off windows driver verifier you will need to be able to open the windows recovery or windows advanced troubleshooting menu and navigate to startup options, command prompt or restore to turn off windows driver verifer.
    The command to turn off windows driver verifier using safe mode with command prompt is verifier /reset
    The command to turn off windows driver verifier using command prompt is verifier /bootmode resetonbootfail
    The method to use if the above two methods fail to turn off windows driver verfier is to click restore. This leads to a loss of the mini dump file and little progress is made in the troubleshooting.

These are links to learn about and customize windows driver verifier and set startup and recovery settings:

BSOD Finding and fixing them - Microsoft Community

Driver Verifier-- tracking down a mis-behaving driver. - Microsoft Community

Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

11) post information about the PSU, cooler, case, etc.

Code: cbVSCService11.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cobian Backup 11\cbVSCService11.exe"[/quote] Code: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC0000001.[/quote]

zbook, Jul 29, 2017
  8. RLaRock Win User

Well I ran Memtest on the cold start up - after the computer was down for 10 hours, and sure enough it found 50 memories errors. But then, as the PC warmed up, the errors stopped and its been error free since.

Attachment 146319

Once warm, I never get any errors, so it seems that their is some issue with the cold start, either memory or motherboard.

Nothing has been overclocked in this PC, and it is on the latest bios version, v2501

I think at this time I'm going to try another memory stick from a known good working computer and see if the cold start errors continue.

Thoughts?

RLaRock, Jul 29, 2017
  9. Strange thing that it only happen when cold start. But anyway, your RAM is gone.

BSODHunter, Jul 30, 2017
  10. RLaRock Win User
    I agree, it is strange, but I replaced the memory with known good memory I borrowed from a friend and ran a Memtest after letting the computer cool overnight and sure enough - no errors.

I then inserted the 'bad' memory into the computer I borrowed the good memory from and ran the same cold start MemTest and got memory errors as the test started then they stopped occurring as the memory warmed up.

I did see a similar issue reported in 7 Forums. https://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...ad-memory.html

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help with this - off to the memory store.

RLaRock, Jul 30, 2017
  11. Alright, let us know if you have problems again.

BSODHunter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD on cold start – abnormal windows shutdown - Similar Threads - BSOD cold start

2. abnormal shutdown laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    abnormal shutdown laptop?: my acer laptop experiencing abnormal Shutdown when pc is in ideal condition. is this due to window update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/abnormal-shutdown-laptop/d484f471-cd83-4bd9-899a-58cb10c9c2e2
  3. abnormal shutdown laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    abnormal shutdown laptop?: my acer laptop experiencing abnormal Shutdown when pc is in ideal condition. is this due to window update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/abnormal-shutdown-laptop/d484f471-cd83-4bd9-899a-58cb10c9c2e2
  4. BSOD on cold start only

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on cold start only: Hello, Recently been having BSOD on cold starts only. From what I have read online it indicates a memory module fail. I have looked at the minidump and there is an indication of a memory issue but I'm not sure if I am reading the dump file correctly. Also, are there any...
  5. Abnormal Shutdown during Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Abnormal Shutdown during Hibernate: Dear all,I hope you may help me in this situation.I have a fairly recent Dell XPS 9500, i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 16,0 GB, 4k touch display.I am on the Dev insider ring, and currently on the last 21634 release.I am pretty satisfied with the system even if I have to admit the...
  6. BSOD on cold start up

BSOD on cold start up: Hi, I just put together a new desktop. I5 9600k Aorus Z390 Ultra 16 gb ram @3200 Mhz Recently I have been getting BSOD on cold start up. Usually, the system would reboot and it be stable thereafter. I have the dump files hosted here....
  7. abnormal system shutdown

abnormal system shutdown: Previously i used to have BSODs. After that i freshly installed windows 10 pro. Now i don't have BSD but my system shutdown unexpectedly. what may be the possible reason behind it.........
  8. What is Cold Shutdown in Windows?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What is Cold Shutdown in Windows?: Hello, What is Cold SHutdown in Windows? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-cold-shutdown-in-windows/169be7c2-715d-4e1d-a0b0-580cfa7e68aa
  9. BSOD every cold start

BSOD every cold start: Hi, I'm getting BSOD every cold start of my PC every day. After rebooting everything runs fine. The system is new (it was built a week ago). memtest86 showed no errors and clean windows reinstall didn't help as well. Yesterday I updated all drivers/BIOS via MSI live...
  10. BSOD on cold start up

BSOD on cold start up: Hi The BSOD, that happens on a cold start up (when the computer has been turned off overnight) has been happening on random occasions ever since I built the computer. I've reinstalled windows, twice. I had thought it might be a hardware issue and have checked each stick of...