Windows 10: BSOD on odd games, from oldies Pharaoh, Caesar 3 to SE III

Discus and support BSOD on odd games, from oldies Pharaoh, Caesar 3 to SE III in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I tend to leave my machine on for a week at a shot, games paused, multiple tabs open. Around late December 2016, it threw a BSOD. Recovered, but can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by buckbu, Jan 21, 2017.

1. buckbu Win User

BSOD on odd games, from oldies Pharaoh, Caesar 3 to SE III

I tend to leave my machine on for a week at a shot, games paused, multiple tabs open. Around late December 2016, it threw a BSOD. Recovered, but can browse reliably for days, but certain games seem to trigger reboots, mostly Pharaoh and Sniper Elite III. Finally performed a factory reset this weekend, but it just threw another BSOD couple hours ago, and am now feeling a bit stuck.

I appreciate any assistance provided, thank you in advance for your time and effort!

Thanks,Attachment 118092
    MBB

:)

buckbu, Jan 21, 2017
  2. Chris4017 Win User

Old Sierra games on Windows 10

I have the City building Series from 2000, Pharaoh, Caesar III and Zeus. Have a HPTouchsmart 520 64 bit. Games install fine but nothing plays. Is there an easy fix for this?

Chris4017, Jan 21, 2017
  3. Chris4017 Win User
    Old Sierra games on Windows 10

Packaging doesn't mention GOG. Only Sierra Studios and Impressions Games. This particular collection comes with Caesar III, Pharaoh and the Cleopatra expansion as well as a demo disk of other games. I got Caesar II to open but after one tutorial, it now
    only opens up in some weird split screen, negative resolution that is unplayable. Pharaoh still just sits there, taunting me with the spinning Windows blue circle, then just stops.

Chris4017, Jan 21, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

There is only the one BSOD memory dump because you reset the system and so the previous ones have been lost. This latest one suggests it may be related to the Intel graphics driver. You could try seeing if an updated driver from the motherboard manufacturer or from Intel will help.

Code: ffffd001`acdf71c8 fffff800`3e90ab4eUnable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdkmd64.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd64.sys igdkmd64+0x10ab4e fffff800`3e800000 fffff800`3ee4d000 igdkmd64 T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: igdkmd64.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys Image name: igdkmd64.sys Browse all global symbols functions data Timestamp: Thu Oct 01 19:35:51 2015 (560D7D07) CheckSum: 00627165 ImageSize: 0064D000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]

philc43, Jan 22, 2017
  5. buckbu Win User
    philc43--

Thank you very much for the welcome, as well as your analysis. I located the item in Device Manager, let Windows update the driver; it found an update and applied it. This AM (at least) it crashed again. Attached is the latest logfile.Attachment 118421

In the Reliability Monitor, it notes an instance or two of IntelCpHDCPSvc Executable having stopped. I had considered going back to your first observation and manually selecting prior driver versions in hopes of achieving stability somewhere, but I thought I would check with you before I did anything, perhaps there is new information afoot.

Thanks!
    MBB

buckbu, Jan 24, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Your most recent crash was attributed to an AVAST driver. Although AVAST sometimes works I have seen many cases where it causes BSOD events. I would recommend that you completely uninstall AVAST and use the built in Windows Defender which has proved to be quite effective for anti-virus protection.

Code: BugCheck 7F, {8, ffffd00145508b30, feb8e070, fffff80018fc10fa} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswVmm.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswVmm.sys Probably caused by : aswVmm.sys ( aswVmm+110fa )[/quote]

philc43, Jan 24, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    If you're not comfortable with having just Defender to rely on, you could think about Bitdefender Free which is a stripped down version of its premium product but still has the same av core.

swarfega, Jan 24, 2017
  8. buckbu Win User

Avast? Yikes!

Well, thank you, swarfega, for the excellent suggestion of BitDefender, now running that.

philc43, et al--

Interestingly, I experienced a swarm of crashes this AM, around the time I was switching to BitDefender. Left the system on, and it appears to have survived the day, so these logs point to a period before today's "stability" (does 8 hours constitute stability?)

Will try a couple of my games and some surfing, see how she behaves.

Again, I greatly appreciate all your efforts in this regard, thank you so much for your guidance!

Thanks,
    MBB

Attachment 118524

buckbu, Jan 25, 2017
  9. buckbu Win User
    Just recovered from days of constant crashes, was seemingly stuck in that "Windows will attempt to repair for you" loop. I finally got to the point where there were other choices, including shut down gracefully. I turned it back on tonight, and it has been stable for about 15 minutes.....getting the attached log was my first priority.

Any thoughts? I am about ready to attempt one more Windows reinstall and then contact the manufacturer (yuck).

Thanks,
    MBB

Attachment 118788

buckbu, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD on odd games, from oldies Pharaoh, Caesar 3 to SE III - Similar Threads - BSOD odd games

2. BSOD on Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3: I am getting BSOD on my laptop saying "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR". I have 2 graphics card on my laptop, so I updated the integrated graphics card driver but then i still got BSOD, I have not yet updated my main graphics card driver.I am attaching minidump filesMinidump -...
  3. caesars slots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    caesars slots: Try to open the game, says something went wrong wont load. Click okay and same thing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caesars-slots/81887f22-a8ba-48d4-967e-c8177f808b40
  4. 1999 pharaoh game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1999 pharaoh game: how can i install this on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1999-pharaoh-game/eb805b14-216b-449b-9d88-01ef7fa0d96b
  5. Caesars

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Caesars: I am playing caesars it keeps asking to update every 30 seconds but no button to update when it takes me to store https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caesars/e5ecd547-3d78-4bee-9a13-3345c63c35e0
  6. No se instala CD Age of Empires III (Age of Empires III CD is not installed)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No se instala CD Age of Empires III (Age of Empires III CD is not installed): Hola,Microsoft quiero comunicarles el problema que tengo al no poder instalar el aoe III en mi pc windows 10 el archivo uno lo abre aparece el setup de instalacion pero no abre nada. Espero que lo lean y lo tomen en consideracion para poder jugar con mi papa este...
  7. PC Game Caesar 3 Has Gone Weird!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Game Caesar 3 Has Gone Weird!: Hi. I went to load a game I have installed on my PC, Caesar 3, and the picture has gone weird. It was working fine before, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it twice, but it's still the same. I've attached a screenshot of the loading screen so you can see what I mean. It's...
  8. DarkStarOne - oldie goldie

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DarkStarOne - oldie goldie: DarkstarOne, for space battle enthusiasts, has been around for a long time but many people gave up because modern monitors created resolution problems, myself included, so it went into the Steam library and lay there forgotten. Then I decided to give it another go as its...
  9. Really odd BSODs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Really odd BSODs: Hi! Here's the problem. I turn on my machine and leave it for let's say 30 minutes and it will crash. A BSOD crash. To prevent that from happening is very easy. I just reboot the PC. After that it will work just fine. So I have been accustomed to turn it on, log in, wait...
  10. Odd BSOD behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Odd BSOD behaviour: Hello everyone, and I hope you are all doing well. My laptop has recently been subjected to a few BSODs. The first one was about a few weeks ago. The BSODs typically involved the screen going a pink fuzzy texture (graphics messing up), and restarting. It started showing...