Windows 10: BSOD on startup - possibly caused by Windows Defender

Discus and support BSOD on startup - possibly caused by Windows Defender in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am experiencing constant BSOD shortly after startup after upgrading to the latest Windows 10 Preview Build(10532). It was happening in 10525, went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mjt1987, Aug 31, 2015.

1. mjt1987 Win User

BSOD on startup - possibly caused by Windows Defender

I am experiencing constant BSOD shortly after startup after upgrading to the latest Windows 10 Preview Build(10532). It was happening in 10525, went away after restoring to retail build, then came back when upgrading to 10532.

I've included a mini-dump. The BSOD goes away when disabling Windows Defender. I would like to be able to use the preview build as it has updates to the precision touchpad that make it much smoother. I also want to verify this is a windows issue and not something hardware related that the preview build brings to light.

Memtest86 ran overnight with no issues. Hard drive sentinel found no problems as well.

:)

mjt1987, Aug 31, 2015
  2. Marie Ave Win User

BSOD on Newly Bought Laptop Caused By Driver watchdog.sys

Hi Brandon,

It appears the code 0x00000113 is a VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR bug which indicates that the Microsoft DirectX graphics kernel subsystem has detected a violation.

We suggest that you follow the steps provided in the Troubleshoot blue screen errors article.

Let us know how it goes.

Marie Ave, Aug 31, 2015
  3. BSOD on Newly Bought Laptop Caused By Driver watchdog.sys

I was not using my PC for 30 minutes and then it suddenly blue screened without knowing the cause. I ran BlueScreenView and got this

Bug Check Code: 0x00000113

Parameter 1: 00000000`00000019

Parameter 2: 00000000`00000002

Parameter 3: 00000000`000010de

Parameter 4: 00000000`00001c8c

Caused By Driver: watchdog.sys

Caused By Address: watchdog.sys+333e

Processor: x64

Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+1640e0

SPECIFICATIONS:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80Hz (8 CPUs), ~2.81 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti 4 GB GDDR5

RAM: 8 GB DDR4

Storage: 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

BrandonJLFlores, Aug 31, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

5. axe0 New Member
    Please try to upload the zip file again, it may be that the dump files are corrupted.

6. mjt1987 Win User
    Hmm - strange. Here it is again. What about the single dump file in the first .zip attachment I posted?

mjt1987, Aug 31, 2015
  7. axe0 New Member
    That dump is included with your 2nd upload, but unfortunately I couldn't get anything from it as it looks like it is corrupted too.

8. mjt1987 Win User

That is very strange. I ran the log program again - as administrator, lets see if this is any different.

Also, could this be because I am running the Preview Build 10532, and therefore they are different dump files?

I have ran Seatools and memtest without any issues already. I can ran the other ones tonight.

First let me know if this .zip is any different.

mjt1987, Aug 31, 2015
  9. axe0 New Member
    Yes, that could be possible, but I can't say for sure.
    Is there a specifically reason why you are still in the preview?

The dumps are not different.

10. mjt1987 Win User
    The XPS13 has a precision touchpad which is jerky in anything but MS Edge. The preview builds fix that. From your experience, if I have no problem with regular build, and disabling MS Defender removes the issue in Preview, should I be concerned? Especially since memtest and hard drive tests show no issue? The error codes are "page fault in non paged data" btw.
    I have a day left before I cannot return the laptop.

mjt1987, Aug 31, 2015
  11. axe0 New Member
    How long have you ran memtest? How many passes?

A wild guess about the error, either a driver has referenced wrong memory or the memory (RAM or the hard drive) are damaged.

12. mjt1987 Win User
    I ran it for 4(I see now that you recommend 8, I can do that tonight).
    I'm curious why disabling windows defender would eliminate the issue though. I would think a driver or hardware problem would come up in other ways as well.

mjt1987, Aug 31, 2015
  13. axe0 New Member

It would be possible that some driver is interfering with it, but there are so many drivers that could do that.
    Yet, there are more methods that could cause it that are in the background.

Thema:

1. BSOD on startup - possibly caused by Windows Defender - Similar Threads - BSOD startup possibly

2. Is it possible for touch pad to cause BSOD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible for touch pad to cause BSOD?: Affected Device: Lenovo Yoga 7 14ARB7Issue: This has been an ongoing issue since the device was released but Lenovo refuses to address it, so I am seeking external help regarding this issue. Essentially, the BSOD are always DPC Watchdog Violations, and the kernel dump always...
  3. Possible Razer device causing BSoD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Possible Razer device causing BSoD: I recently bought and started using a new Razer Nari Ultimate, my pc has never BSoD before until I started using this headset, checked health on my storage device and it was fine, temps are all fine, sometimes it either freezes and forces me to shut off of flashes a BSoD and...
  4. BSOD issue with drivers possibly causing it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD issue with drivers possibly causing it: Since around December I have had regular system crashes when doing random things on my Windows 10 system I have a Ryzen 3600 with a Asrock A320/ac motherboard, rx 6750 xt. I have reinstalled AMD gpu/chipset drivers and tried to parse the dump file errors with whocrashed and...
  5. BSOD issue with drivers possibly causing it

BSOD issue with drivers possibly causing it: Since around December I have had regular system crashes when doing random things on my Windows 10 system I have a Ryzen 3600 with a Asrock A320/ac motherboard, rx 6750 xt. I have reinstalled AMD gpu/chipset drivers and tried to parse the dump file errors with whocrashed and...
  6. Windows defender causing BSODS

Windows defender causing BSODS: Hi,I've been having daily BSODS for about 6 months now that happen 2-3 hours after using the PC. I've checked hardware and completely reinstalled all of it, checked ram with memtest for 8 clears each stick, ran sfc scans, chkdsk, all turn up with no problems. I've reinstalled...
  7. Windows defender causing BSODS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender causing BSODS: Hi,I've been having daily BSODS for about 6 months now that happen 2-3 hours after using the PC. I've checked hardware and completely reinstalled all of it, checked ram with memtest for 8 clears each stick, ran sfc scans, chkdsk, all turn up with no problems. I've reinstalled...
  8. Windows defender causing BSODS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Windows Defender causes BSOD on occassions

Windows Defender causes BSOD on occassions: Hi, I have a purpose built computer which is 2-3 months old and when I have been running Windows Defender on full scan I have been getting various BSOD messages. I have ran the memory diagonsitic tool, chkdsk, sfc. ran windows update and manually went through all my...
  10. Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?

Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?: So I've been having quite a time with this computer. I upgraded a bunch of the hardware inside, nothing major, a 750ti/i3 setup just to game lightly on. It started out fine and over the course of a few weeks, I got more and more frequent BSODs, usually with...