Windows 10: BSOD on startup screen, error 0x0000009c

Discus and support BSOD on startup screen, error 0x0000009c in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; i built a computer for a friend about a year ago. he's not a power user - uses it to play pubg and use photoshop, and that's about it. he recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by prophetik, Mar 1, 2018.

1. prophetik Win User

BSOD on startup screen, error 0x0000009c

i built a computer for a friend about a year ago. he's not a power user - uses it to play pubg and use photoshop, and that's about it. he recently started getting machine check exception BSODs, so i came over to check it out. the system freezes for a few seconds randomly and then BSODs with a machine_check_exception error. i had him confirm systemps (they appeared normal) and so i went over to check it out. i corrected a few wonky drivers that were acting up (nothing big) but couldn't ID anything really bad. suddenly it started locking up with a new error - clock_watchdog_exception - and now it wouldn't progress past the startup screen. safe mode and safe mode with networking worked fine and didn't throw errors, but booting into normal mode would throw the clock_watchdog error.

i've attached outputs from driverview, bsodview, and the dump tool your forums use. i also uploaded the last seven minidumps that windows created to this location. the two most recent are the clock_watchdog errors, and the prior ones are the machine_check errors.

any ideas? i'm guessing it's integration with his razor headphones and/or keyboard, but i can't confirm. i haven't yet replicated the errors at my house (brought his computer home last night) so i haven't isolated them yet.

edit: it just threw a clock_watchdog now, so it's not related to his peripherals. it appears that the BSOD data collection screen is freezing too, but i'll give it some time to identify for sure if that's happening.

:)

prophetik, Mar 1, 2018

2. Random dpc latency

Hello Johnny,

Blue screens (BSOD) is mostly occur due to hardware and sometimes due to incompatible software. In a lot of cases it is a corrupted driver or a driver conflict. The most common causes of blue screens are overheating, faulty RAM,
    and video card problem.

The MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION bug check has a value of 0x0000009C. This bug check indicates that a fatal machine check exception has occurred.

We suggest you to try the steps from the below link and check if it helps:

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Let us know the results. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 1, 2018
  3. blue screen

Hello John,

In order to resolve your issue, please follow Patrick Barker's instructions about updating your BIOS.

You may check it using this
    link

Update us with the results.

Devlin Sco, Mar 1, 2018
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi prophetik,

I notice KMSpico is installed which is a known Windows/Office crack.
    If Office is cracked, please remove it.
    If Windows is cracked, please remove KMSpico and activate Windows genuinely.
    Either way, please remove KMSpico.

If there are any other cracks present on the system, please remove them as well. Cracks can not only cause a lot of issues with troubleshooting, but can infect your system and others as well which can cause even more problems for the both of us.

axe0, Mar 3, 2018
  5. prophetik Win User
    Windows was inactivated retail, so I am guessing it was for Office or something. I asked him but he supposedly didn't know.

I updated the BIOS and drivers but it was still happening, so I reinstalled Windows (again inactivated retail W10). I did this because it was rock solid in safe mode and totally unstable otherwise. After reinstalling, I didn't see a BSOD for 4+ hours, so I gave it back. That was Friday night. Saturday night he got another BSOD. I had him export the results of the tool and uploaded them at DESKTOP-SFEPM1D-Sun_03_04_2018_101446_57.zip - Google Drive. Thoughts?

prophetik, Mar 3, 2018
  6. axe0 New Member
    What are the specs of the system?

Configure Driver Verifier
    Please run driver verifier using the following settings for 48 hours.
    • Special Pool
    • Force IRQL checking
    • Pool Tracking
    • Deadlock Detection
    • Security Checks
    • Miscellaneous Checks
    • Power framework delay fuzzing
    • DDI compliance checking

Warning: driver verifier can cause boot issues and/or performance issues.

Resetting driver verifier options (recommended in this order)
    • In normal mode open an administrator command prompt and enter the below command
    • In safe mode open an administrator command prompt and enter the below command
    • On 3 boot failures, you'll boot automatically to the recovery options,
      • click Troubleshoot
      • go to the advanced options
      • choose command prompt
      • enter the below command
    • Boot with the recovery media, see above 4 steps in option 3.
    • Via the recovery options or recovery media, select a restore point prior enabling driver verifier
    Code: verifier /reset[/quote]
    Crashed when running driver verifier

What is driver verifier?
    Driver verifier is a built-in tool that allows to check drivers on what they do.
    If a driver performs an action that could result in
    • security corruption,
    • access to data it shouldn't have,
    • data corruption in the RAM,
    • anything else that could give exceptions
    driver verifier catches the driver and crashes the system.

axe0, Mar 3, 2018
  7. prophetik Win User
    build is as follows:
    cpu: i5-7600k
    gpu: msi 1070 quicksilver 8gb
    mobo: z270 killer sli/ac
    ram: GEiL evo x 2x8gb ddr4 3000
    psu: evga g3 750w
    ssd: samsung 960 m.2
    hdd: toshiba p300
    others: corsair h50 closed loop, razor keyboard, g500 mouse

nice machine when it isn't exploding.

i've got driver verifier set up with the settings you requested and running, and it's sitting and hanging out. he's been getting the bad_module_info error that pubg and fortnite's been getting since the fall windows update but that's it so far.

prophetik, Mar 3, 2018
  8. axe0 New Member

Looks like a nice system indeed.

Please keep me updated about driver verifier *Smile

axe0, Mar 3, 2018
  9. prophetik Win User
    when i went to bed last night it had been running pubg for 8hrs without issue, but i woke up to a frozen bsod screen at 95% log generation (i disabled auto-restart after error). i restarted it a few times and got the clock_watchdog error a few times before it actually generated logs properly and didn't freeze mid-generation. here's the output from your site's tool run in safe mode - DESKTOP-SFEPM1D-Mon_03_05_2018__71711_31.zip - Google Drive

let me know what else you need.

prophetik, Mar 4, 2018
  10. axe0 New Member
    Could you upload the logs directly next time, saves us both time *Smile

BSOD on startup screen, error 0x0000009c [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

11. prophetik Win User
    sorry, i was posting via mobile and couldn't figure out how to upload it. i'll do it from the desktop next time.

i'll set up memtest tonight and get results to you asap.

prophetik, Mar 4, 2018
  12. axe0 New Member
    Uploading via mobile is pretty much the same on my phone (OnePlus 3T) - How to upload files

13. prophetik Win User

ran for a while. got 10 passes total without error. what's next?

prophetik, Mar 5, 2018
  14. axe0 New Member
    What drivers did you correct?

15. prophetik Win User
    windows wasn't picking up a headset. however, since then, i reinstalled windows (after formatting the drive), reinstalled some games, and ran it with driver verifier on, and still got errors (see my post a few days ago). so that comment is not relevant anymore.

prophetik, Mar 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD on startup screen, error 0x0000009c - Similar Threads - BSOD startup screen

2. BSOD MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009c ntoskrnl.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009c ntoskrnl.exe: I set up my PC in the middle of last year and after a few months I started to see some blue screens all the same, always when playing a game. My specs:CPU: I5-9400F GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Windforce Oc Motherboard: Gigabyte H310M H 2.0 RAM : HyperX Fury 2666Mhz 2x 8GB PSU :...
  3. BSOD: STOP 0x0000009c

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD: STOP 0x0000009c: Been getting a few bluescreens the last 2 weeks with the repeat information shown below.==================================================[SHOWN - ONLY THE CONSISTENT INFORMATION ACROSS DMPs]Bug Check String : MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTIONBug Check Code : 0x0000009cParameter 1...
  4. BSOD: Stop 0x0000009C

BSOD: Stop 0x0000009C: Hi, I frequently receive the above blue screen. It normally happens when the computer is idle. Please could you give me some guidance in resolving this issue. Windows 10, build 2004. This problem has been occurring right through all the various builds since 1803 or...
  5. BSOD: Stop 0x0000009C

BSOD: Stop 0x0000009C: 8888 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-stop-0x0000009c/d02daa49-09ba-4025-8ad5-649ada74639a
  6. BSOD: Stop 0x0000009C

BSOD: Stop 0x0000009C: Hello, I have been getting this BSOD. MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION STOP: 0x0000009C 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFF800192F2BCF0, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000 I have attached my dump file link here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2p293xdal4khxv/042620-31312-01.rar?dl=0...
  7. BSOD caused by HALL.DLL 0X0000009C

BSOD caused by HALL.DLL 0X0000009C: [ATTACH] Hello, my pc has death screen problems, with error code MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, Using the BlueScreenView program, I could see which file is causing this problem. The results are what you see in the image. I want to clarify that this has happened to me many more...
  8. BSOD playing Total War Warhammer 2, error 0x0000009c

BSOD playing Total War Warhammer 2, error 0x0000009c: Hello guys, my current system specs are: 1.Intel Core-I5 4670k oced 4.0ghz (using hyper212 cpu fan cooling) 2.Asus Sabertooth Z87 motherboard 3.Samsung 840 120GB SSD for windows 4.WD 2 TB Black HDD 5.Coolermaster 750 GX PSU 6.Asus STRIX 1070 GTX 8GB 7.Gskill 12 GB ram (2 x 2...
  9. Frequent BSOD/Lockups Bugcheck 0x0000009c

Frequent BSOD/Lockups Bugcheck 0x0000009c: Over the last few days my computer would lock up and checking the EventViewer I'd see a Bugcheck 0x0000009c error. Here's what I've done: At first I figured it was time to nuke Windows anyway so I formatted my boot drive and installed Windows 10. When that didn't work I...
  10. Multiple 0x0000009c BSODs on Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop

Multiple 0x0000009c BSODs on Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop: Symptoms: Windows 10 Pro BSODs randomly (after freezing). I have almost 12 identical dumps (attached). There seems to be no pattern to it but sometimes it happens when the machine is idle. The machine just hangs and then eventually reboots -- most of the time I don't even...
Tags: