Windows 10: BSOD on wake up, atikmdag.sys

Discus and support BSOD on wake up, atikmdag.sys in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Currently running Windows 10 Build 10041. Without fail, every time that I wake my computer up, the resolution is far lower than it should be, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by WeArePSU, Jun 12, 2015.

1. WeArePSU Win User

BSOD on wake up, atikmdag.sys

Currently running Windows 10 Build 10041.

Without fail, every time that I wake my computer up, the resolution is far lower than it should be, and only two of my three monitors work, then the screens flash twice, and I get a BSOD, saying VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmdag.sys).

Attached are the log files.

Attachment 21432

I have tried uninstalling the drivers using a driver remover and then reinstalling the latest, but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

WeArePSU, Jun 12, 2015
  2. ni_444 Win User

Windows 10 September updates cause Video TDR Failure every time computer wakes from sleep

Upgraded to Win 10 Creators Update, same issue " BSOD with the message "Video TDR Failure caused by Atikmdag.sys" every
    time it wakes from sleep". Uninstalled the display driver with delete option, reinstalled driver again. Problem reappears.

Guess I will try your Hibernate solution to see if that works.

ni_444, Jun 12, 2015
  3. Driver IRQL Not Less Or Equal

I finally had a BSOD with a message pointing to ATIKMDAG.SYS as the reason for the BSOD. I was able to locate a bundle of drivers from HP and extracted a new ATIKMDAG.SYS and installed it on my system. I have been stable ever since.

DSchenk952, Jun 12, 2015
  4. Carsomyr Win User

The first step would be to update your build?? Currently at build 10130 officially. And 10135 has been leaked (But i wouldn't bother with it until it is released officially. Lot of problems were fixed since 10041. *Biggrin

Carsomyr, Jun 12, 2015
  5. WeArePSU Win User
    Well I rolled back the build thinking it was related to the build update, but alas it wasn't true. I'll update and let you know if anything changes.

WeArePSU, Jun 13, 2015
  6. Boozad Win User
    I can't check the logs as I'm at work and don't have access to WinDBG, but a 0x116 is pointing to the graphics card so it could be a power issue (what PSU do you have?), a driver issue, overheating or a bad card among other things.

Do you know what temperatures your card is reaching at idle and under load?
    Try reseating the card and the power connector/s, ensure they're fully seated.
    Run Furmark to stress test your GPU. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...t-furmark.html

Boozad, Jun 16, 2015
  7. Update to Windows 10.0.130 (or wait a few days for the next drop 10.0.136 ?????) See if that alone helps, if there still are issues:

Until MS has the official working driver, try the beta driver (15-5) - the latest non-beta driver (14-12) helped in previous releases, but as of Win10.0.130, I needed to get the beta.
    The current AMD driver offered by Windows Update is a bit wonky.

Slartybart, Jun 16, 2015
  8. Fragment Win User

You are using a non GCN architecture card (6870...) and AMD/MS are focussing on optimizing their new DX12 drivers for the most recent architectures before starting to support "legacy" cards to full extent.

I for myself have a GCN 1.0 card which is quite old as well.

I can offer you the same advice as Slartybart if you want to be on the safe side. Both of those drivers should work no problem.
    Use Wagnards DDU 15.0.0.3 uninstaller which you can download from guru3d for example, if you didnt already mean this by "driver uninstaller"

If you are interested in a more performant solution tho' i can reccommend trying those drivers which in case they work will give you an additional performance boost vs the beta 15.5 or the 14.12 (WHQL):

AMD Catalyst 15.x Win Mod (15.200.1023.3 May 14) with VSR unlocked - Guru3D.com Forums

I expect you had either 1023.5 or 1036/1038/1040 on your comp that didnt work, is that right?
    Even if you had 1023.3 it is worth trying my link because the driver is enabled to work with some of the older cards as well.

Don't get too confused with WHQL by the way... the certification means nothing more than AMD paid a little sum of money to get a driver signed.

Let us know if it worked for you, whatever solution you picked ;-)

Fragment, Jun 17, 2015
  9. WeArePSU Win User
    Hey guys, sorry that it took so long to respond, I haven't had time to mess with the rig for a while. *Redface

I have a 680W PSU, and with Furmark the max was 87 oC, so nothing too crazy.

I did a clean install of Win 10 10130 (it wouldn't update after I rolled it back, even after I changed the registry, etc etc), which then automatically updated to 10162 and also installed a new driver for it (15.200.1023.7, which is weird because I installed the 15.2 beta driver before...), which I believe has fixed the issue. I now have another issue, upon startup the car doesn't like the DisplayPort adapters (Which are AMD Certified), and changes the resolution to crap. *Mad I then have to physically unplug and re-plug the two in to fix the issue.

As I replied to Windows automatically downloaded a new driver, and the original issue has been resolved. Now I just have to figure out why the DisplayPort adapters (DP to VGA) keep malfunctioning.

WeArePSU, Jul 4, 2015
  10. Glad the Windows updrate helped with one part of the puzzle. Please feed MS the information (feedback app) on the new issue (DP to VGA). AMD and MS only have a short couple of weeks to hammer out these wrinkles before the 29 July release date.

Slartybart, Jul 5, 2015
  11. WeArePSU Win User
    Still nothing, even with the latest build update (10240) *Sad

WeArePSU, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD on wake up, atikmdag.sys - Similar Threads - BSOD wake atikmdag

2. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - atikmdag.sys atikmdag+0x18e150

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - atikmdag.sys atikmdag+0x18e150: Crash dump directories: C:\WINDOWSC:\WINDOWS\MinidumpOn Sun 2022-10-16 16:46:38 your computer crashed or a problem was reportedCrash dump file:C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP Kernel memory dumpBugcheck code:0x9F0x3, 0xFFFFDD0FB52B0060, 0xFFFFF8070D14B7D0, 0xFFFFDD0FB94AAA90Bugcheck...
  3. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - atikmdag.sys atikmdag+0x18e150

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - atikmdag.sys atikmdag+0x18e150: Crash dump directories: C:\WINDOWSC:\WINDOWS\MinidumpOn Sun 2022-10-16 16:46:38 your computer crashed or a problem was reportedCrash dump file:C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP Kernel memory dumpBugcheck code:0x9F0x3, 0xFFFFDD0FB52B0060, 0xFFFFF8070D14B7D0, 0xFFFFDD0FB94AAA90Bugcheck...
  4. MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS BSoD on waking up computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS BSoD on waking up computer: Hey, I have been having this particular BSoD for the last week or so. I've run Windows Update, SupportAssist, and gone into the GeForce experience and even gone through every Device in the Device Manager checking for new drivers. I've run ChkDsk, sfc, and DSIM, but the...
  5. BSOD on wake up Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on wake up Windows 10: I have got this HP Laptop that crashes a few seconds after waking up from sleep or hibernation. I have tried to update system drivers and Windows, get no results. I know the HDD has write errors but I don't believe it is causing the problem as Windows will otherwise start...
  6. BSOD after waking up, SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, Netwtw04.sys

BSOD after waking up, SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, Netwtw04.sys: Hi, Occasionally once every 5 to 10 times immediately after waking up from sleep my laptop crashes to blue screen with the message 'SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED', 'Netwtw04.sys'. Ihave tried updating my network drivers from the manufacturer's website to the latest...
  7. BSOD (atikmdag+0x48999) in minidump

BSOD (atikmdag+0x48999) in minidump: New Win10 10.0.16299 Build 16299 Samsung MXHPV256HDGL-0000 M.2 system drive Asrock X99 -11 Extreme i7-5930K Saphire Radeon R9 295-X2 with AMD 22.19.677.257 driver This is a dual GPU card Running ServeRaid M5210 SAS raid with 2 arrays 8 rotational disks total Dual EVGA...
  8. Bsod usually on wake up

Bsod usually on wake up: Hi, i hope someone here can help me. i just installed windows 10 and have bsod. Checked drivers updated and memory test and hard disk all is good. crahes usually on wake up. before had windows 7 and same problem *Sad please help... thanks 29680
  9. BSOD on wake up from sleep

BSOD on wake up from sleep: After a recent update, On wake up I am told that "attempted to write to read only memory" I have looked at the debug file and it says that a driver is at fault. How do I identify it and how do I replace it and from where? 87589
  10. wdf01000.sys BSOD

wdf01000.sys BSOD: Hey, this is more of a question. My keyboard has been malfunctioning due to liquid damage, so to disable it I installed an incompatible keyboard/touchpad driver intentionally. The day after, I've been getting wdf01000.sys BSOD errors during startup, which brings me to a...
Tags: