Windows 10: BSOD or freezing during Shutdown/Restart, no USB, No Update

Discus and support BSOD or freezing during Shutdown/Restart, no USB, No Update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently built a new PC, initially everything was OK but now I get a number of problem sysmptoms (please see SYMPTOMS below). It's slightly more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CJB t3ml, May 2, 2016.

1. CJB t3ml Win User

BSOD or freezing during Shutdown/Restart, no USB, No Update

I recently built a new PC, initially everything was OK but now I get a number of problem sysmptoms (please see SYMPTOMS below).
    It's slightly more complicated than that because the PC switches between Good Mode and Bad Mode.
    In Bad Mode I get all the SYMPTOMS but in Good Mode I only get the "Windows Update fails" symptom.
    I can see no obvious reason why the PC switches between these two modes.

I've no idea what's going on here so if anybody has any suggestions I'd be very interested to hear them.

SYMPTOMS
    1) Shutdown/Restart Freeze
    Sometimes selecting Shutdown/Restart (including the "update" variants) starts the blue screen with the marbles rolling round their circular track but after a few seconds the marbles feeze, the cursor/pointer stops responding to mouse movements and nothing happens until either the power or reset button is pressed.
    2) Shutdown/Restart BSOD
    If the Shutdown/Restart doesn't freeze then it goes on for about five minutes then the un-smily screen appears (BSOD?) with the error message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Then the PC restarts.
    3) Sleep never wakes
    When Sleep is selected the PC appears to sleep but does not wake from keyboard or mouse.
    4) USB devices not detected
    Memory sticks, Cameras, Hubs, Phones, Microscope, nothing is ever detected unless it is plugged in before the PC is started up. By "Not Detected" I mean that when I plug a device in the PC shows absolutely no indication that anything has happedned, not even a "device not recognised" message, nothing appears in the Device Manager, nothng appears in the "Safely Remove" section, zero, zip, zilch, nada, nothing.
    5) Windows Update fails to install updates.
    Windows asks to schedule a restart for updates but only Windows Defender ever updates. The upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586 never happens. (Please see diagnostic seciton.)
    6) System process continuously uses 13% CPU
    When Windows first starts Task Manager reports the System process using between zero and a couple of percent CPU. At some point this increases to about 13% CPU and stays there continuously.
    7) Driver details
    Looking at the properties window for any device (from device manager) selecting General tab, Driver tab, Event tab etc. works OK but selecting the Details tab causes the Computer Management app to freeze ("Not responding"). "End Task" from the task manager closes the Computer Managment window but not the Device Properties window.

DIAGNOSTICS
    WhoCrashed suggests that ntoskrnl.exe causes the BSODs (but not what to do about it).
    sfc /scannow says "...did not find any integrity violations."
    I have checked every single driver in Device Manager. "Search automatically" either updated the driver or reported "Already best driver". After the updates the PC is still in Bad Mode. I have seen few instances where the driver installation crashed ( "Not Responding" ) but after I'd reset the PC the driver properies showed that the update had worked.
    I have tried to restart the Windows Update process by stopping wuauserv, cryptSvc, bits and msiserver, renaming \SoftwareDistribution and \Catroot2 then restarting the update processes. Windows downloaded about 200MB into the replacement folders but when I did "Update and Restart" the installation process got stuck at 59%. After reseting the PC the update still hadn't happened.
    I have un-installed Zonealarm (as I've had trouble with it before) and applied their Clean.exe but I still get Bad Mode.

:)

CJB t3ml, May 2, 2016

2. BSoD error - Critical Process Died

I installed the KB4089848 update including other window updates. I also updated my nvidia driver just in case. There is improvement but the BSoD with the same error is still occurring. The BSoD does not happen anymore
    during shutdowns and restarts, but it still happens in the middle of using my laptop. Plus, a new issue on my laptop arises. The laptop suddenly blacks out and turns off on its own. It must be unrelated issue with the BSoD error. I updated the OneDrive with
    the latest minidump.

Boombasticator, May 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Freezes During Shutdown Ever Since Trying to Update to Version 1709

I have a Gateway SX-2370 desktop PC (64-bit) currently running Windows 10 (Version 1703 - OS Build 15063.786). Since Dec. 10, 2017, Windows Update has been trying to install version 1709 (at least 29 times to date, with no success). The primary issue is
    that since the update attempts started, my PC freezes during the shutdown process (mouse won't work, the spinning circle stops moving, and the hard drive light goes out). Then, the only way for me to shutdown the PC is to manually force shutdown using the
    power button. I suspected there might be a driver issue interfering with shutdown so I attempted to update all drivers using software I purchased (Ashampoo Driver Updater). This program found 7 drivers needing update and was able to update 5 of them. An update
    of the PCI Bus driver (in system devices) failed halfway into installation when the PC again froze. I also tried to do an update of this driver through device manager, which found a newer driver, but again the installation failed halfway through with the PC
    freezing up.

Before trying the update of the drivers, I initially had tried to update to version 1709 (through settings) while watching the process. Anytime the update process required a restart, the PC froze during the shutdown. After forcing shutdown via the power
    button and then restarting the PC, the update process wold continue. However, once I reached three shutdowns /restarts, Windows Update would go no further and reverted to the previous version (i.e., 1703).

Is my shutdown freeze issue related to the PCI Bus driver (which I cannot seem to update), and is there a way to to update the PCI Bus driver other than through the two methods I tried outlined above.

Trevor Zci., May 2, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Please do one more thing. Upload the list of all the third party drivers Using NirSoft DriverView :

• Download and execute Driverview
    • View > Hide Microsoft Drivers
    • Edit > Select all
    • File > Save Selected Items
    • In the Save dialog, Set the path to desktop, Put "Driverview" in the name field, and save.
    • Zip the .txt file and upload it.

And, Uninstall AUSU AI Suite!

5. CJB t3ml Win User
    Thank you for looking at this.
    Driverview.zip attached (I hope)
    I will uninstall AUSU AI Suite. (Is this a known problem?)

CJB t3ml, May 3, 2016
  6. GAS
    Gas Win User
    Hi all,
    I am using the Asus Ai suite, it is a useful tool for monitoring the MB and managing fans speed, it never caused any problem.

7. axe0 New Member
    AI Suite certainly can be a very useful program, unfortunately it is known to cause many kinds of BSODs. This is the same for other ASUS software & other software that is provided by the motherboard manufacturer or pre-installed on laptops (called bloatware by a lot of users) like for example from Gigabyte & MSI.
    I don't want to give a negative opinion or something about these software, but in the BSOD part of the forums there are many threads where BSODs were caused by software delivered by the motherboard manufacturer or bloatware on laptops.

Removing AI Suite is only for the time of troubleshooting, afterwards you can install it if you'd like *Smile

axe0, May 3, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

This is a self built computer, as the specs said. But you got lots of bloatware there.
    AI Suite is the first one .... followed by Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility (uninstall it too) and ASUS Kernel Mode Driver for Windows (I dont know how to uninstall it).

After uninstalling those, set all the hardware components like CPU, RAM and Graphics card to default. If you OC the computer, dont do it using a tuning software. Do it from the core.

None of the failing drivers are outdated, apparently there is no feasible cause of the BSODs other than AI Charger, PC Probe or ASUS hardware monitoring, which adds up to various BSODs, specially the sleep related ones.

Let us know the situation after removing the bloatwares.

9. ARC
    Arc Win User
    What that is negative is negative, mate. If anyone argues with you, just ask him to do your job.

10. GAS
    Gas Win User
    As I said earlier I never had any problem with Ai suite, it is "positive" sw to me, then negativity in this peculiare case is sobjective; and also i didn't mention any other utility.

Not in my intention to urgue with any one having problem using it, just wanted to tell about my own experience with Ai suite.

11. ARC
    Arc Win User
    If you can deal with the present issue with this info, feel free to do it. I will stop.

Otherwise your experience does not matter. It will just be another random hit-and-run post, just disturbing the troubleshooting procedure.

Either add something, or please dont contradict.

12. CJB t3ml Win User
    So I fired up the AI Suite uninstaller and when it asked which bit of AI Suite to uninstall I selected everything and away it went.
    Then did a Restart (without any problems) and the PC came up in Good Mode (USB working, Sleep, Restart and Shutdown working and (curiously) no "System" process at all).
    After that fired up Settings - Update and it down loaded and installed Windows 10 Version 1511 without a hitch (hence the slight delay getting back to you all).

I shall wait a couple of days before I tick the solved box just to make sure that Bad Mode really has been banished but this is looking so much better already.

I shall also drop by the Asus forums to see what they have to say there.

Many thanks for the help.

CJB t3ml, May 3, 2016
  13. essenbe Win User

@Gas, @Arc and @axe0 are two of the best BSOD Analysts around. They have been working these cases for many years. Neither one of them recommend uninstalling any program without good reason. When someone comes into a BSOD thread and suggests that their advice is wrong can never be considered helpful or positive. Because one person uses a program without problems does not mean it works well on everyone's system. I have used Ai Suite myself in the past but have also recommended removal of it in many BSOD cases. Your comments did nothing to help resolve this case.

essenbe, May 3, 2016
  14. CJB t3ml Win User
    No more shutdown crashes. Bad Mode really has been banished!
    Asus are aware of the problem but being unable to recreate it they have not found a solution. (...and their forum is rubbish compared to TenForums)
    Once again many thanks for all the help.

CJB t3ml, May 9, 2016
  15. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Now you know what I said and why. Anyway, its good to see that your issue is gone.

Thema:

1. BSOD or freezing during Shutdown/Restart, no USB, No Update - Similar Threads - BSOD freezing during

2. BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...: Specs:Ryzen 7 1700Radeon RX 58016GB ramMSI B450 TOMAHAWK with latest biosWindows 10 22H2Having several problems with my PC that began around a month ago as mild occasional issues and have recently escalated and become worse. Not sure what has changed other than I moved and...
  3. BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...: Specs:Ryzen 7 1700Radeon RX 58016GB ramMSI B450 TOMAHAWK with latest biosWindows 10 22H2Having several problems with my PC that began around a month ago as mild occasional issues and have recently escalated and become worse. Not sure what has changed other than I moved and...
  4. BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Laptop BSODs during shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop BSODs during shutdown: Hi, For a few weeks my laptop has crashed every time I've shut it down, but it doesn't display a specific error message or point to a programme. I've also noticed that it's significantly slower on startup. Is there anything I can do about it? Link to the log zip file: Dropbox...
  6. BSOD restart during update.

BSOD restart during update.: Overnight my laptop had done an update, and upon waking up I see that my laptop was still installing it, after a couple of seconds of saying it's 30% done. The laptop BSOD's on itself, saying the only error is "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". It then restarts doing the same thing...
  7. Restart/Shutdown BSOD

Restart/Shutdown BSOD: Hello everybody, for the past couple months I have been having this specific BSOD on my Acer Nitro 5 laptop after a factory restore (I was hit by a trojan by the name of Direct Game UNI Installer while trying to download a game) and have ran countless antivirus scans with...
  8. Windows freezes during boot after a normal restart or shutdown. After a forced shutdown it...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows freezes during boot after a normal restart or shutdown. After a forced shutdown it...: I'm very sure this issue is hardware related as it only happens on two of my systems with very similar Supermicro motherboards, X9DAE and X9DRi-LN+. Linux always boots without problems....
  9. BSOD on shutdown and restarts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD on shutdown and restarts: I keep getting BSOD when my computer restarts or shutdowns. It will say "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" on the BSOD. I have double checked system files to make sure none are corrupted and also tested my memory on the memory diagnostic tool and it passed without any issues....
  10. BSOD, shutdown and restart

BSOD, shutdown and restart: For a while, if I left my computer on 24/7 every day or so I'd get a 1 second buzzing sound of corrupted audio followed by a BOSD saying various things like: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, or sometimes DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, or KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. Since I heard...