Windows 10: BSOD playing most games System_error_exception atikmdag.sys

Discus and support BSOD playing most games System_error_exception atikmdag.sys in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my computer from windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. I did a full disk wipe while I was at it, so I've only played a few games on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ultracare, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ultracare Win User

BSOD playing most games System_error_exception atikmdag.sys

I recently upgraded my computer from windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. I did a full disk wipe while I was at it, so I've only played a few games on my new system.
    I am able to fully run most games (Bioshock Infinite, Hitman, Witcher 3) but when I eventually exit the game or alt+Tab/ctrl+Alt+Del out, my computer BSOD crashes with a "*Sad System_error_exception atikmdag.sys" message.
    Oddly enough I am able to play Portal 2 totally fine with no crashes, possible SourceEngine connection? (I should try other Valve games). And also while playing the game "Gods Will Be watching" I get pretty bad display tearing (possibly connected as well?), and it also crashes the computer upon exiting.
    Log files are attached, thanks,
    Attachment 32161

:)

ultracare, Aug 17, 2015

2. BSOD - atikmdag.sys & Crtitical Structure Error

I installed Win10. I installed a game which kept causing a BSOD with atikmdag.sys. I fixed the issue by copying the atikmdag.sys DLL from ATI to System32 drivers folder. The game launched after that.

However, now the computer keeps crashing with Critical Structure Error BSOD, and the solutions for them suggests upgrading driver for ATI which again takes me back to the first issue.

KaustavChakraborty1982, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Driver IRQL Not Less Or Equal

I finally had a BSOD with a message pointing to ATIKMDAG.SYS as the reason for the BSOD. I was able to locate a bundle of drivers from HP and extracted a new ATIKMDAG.SYS and installed it on my system. I have been stable ever since.

DSchenk952, Aug 17, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

Hello, Ultracare and welcome to the forums. If you would, please fill out your system specs in more detail. t helps to know the Manufacturer and Model of each component. Be sure to add hard drives, CPU Cooler and PSU in the specs as well. I don't know if this will help, but these are my normal instructions.

Please go to your last post and in the bottom left corner click 'My System Specs'. there is a link there to update your system specs, click it and fill them all out in as much detail as possible. Please list Manufacturer and Model, and list Desktop or Laptop. If it is an OEM, please list the Manufacturer and Model number. Please be sure to list your PSU and CPU cooler. If you would like to know what we would like, please click 'My System Specs' at the bottom left of this post and see mine.

Next please right click on the start icon and select Command prompt administrator, give admin permissions and copy/paste this into the window that opens and press enter sfc /scannow . If you decide to type it in, please notice the space between the sfc and the /. We want it to say no integrity violations were found. If it says there where corrupt files that could not be repaired, please reboot and run it again. You may have to run it 3 times with reboots in between each time.

All of your dump files seem to be the same

Code: Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff8017f12f5ff, ffffd000239edaf0, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+b2f5ff ) Followup: MachineOwner[/quote] Please go here and download the latest driver for your cards https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-car...dows-10-a.html . After downloading, Please uninstall your current driver, uninstall all of the AMD Graphics drivers. Reboot then install the new drivers, but do a custom install and install only the graphics driver.

There have been a lot of complaints about the AMD Graphics Drivers on Windows 10. Hopefully AMD will get a good driver soon.

essenbe, Aug 17, 2015
  5. ultracare Win User
    thanks for the help. I've updated my computer information to the best of my ability.
    I already have the amd driver 15.7.1 but had other version before on windows 10. I have now uninstalled AMD Catalyst Install Manager, and then attempted to reinstall the driver but the auto detect shows that I am still up to date with version 15.7.1. is this normal? I don't know how to tell if the older driver versions are gone or not.
    Also Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    I am doing a restart and trying out a game again and I'll report back. But so far I don't know if I really changed anything

ultracare, Aug 18, 2015
  6. ultracare Win User
    Yes I still am getting BSOD crashes when I tab out or exit a game :/
    Still seem to have the most up to date driver, and also no AMD Catalyst Install Manager, is that usual?
    Should I try getting rid of AMD Catalyst Control Center. Could that be causing any problems?

ultracare, Aug 18, 2015
  7. essenbe Win User
    Is there another way you can exit games without a BSOD?

essenbe, Aug 18, 2015
  8. blaydes99 Win User

Hi ultracare, you probably still have old traces of the previous driver that is causing problems. I was also having strange issues until I completely removed all AMD video drivers + components, then installed the 15.7.1 Win10 AMD driver afterwards.

If you can completely remove CCC, the AMD drivers, and reboot, you should come back into windows in a low resolution mode. This is a sign that the driver is truly uninstalled. If you still have an AMD video driver installed, go to your Device Manager, go to your video adapters, and right click to remove/uninstall your AMD video card. Make sure to check the box that says "Remove driver software" also.

Repeat this process until you boot in the low-res mode, then you are safe to install the 15.7.1 install package and do a full install. Hopefully that resolves your issue.

blaydes99, Aug 19, 2015
  9. ultracare Win User
    No whenever I exit a game, tab out, or even ctrl+alt+del out it crashes. with exception to portal 2, which doesn't make it BSOD

ultracare, Aug 20, 2015
  10. ultracare Win User
    sounds promising, I'll give it a try and report back

ultracare, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD playing most games System_error_exception atikmdag.sys - Similar Threads - BSOD playing games

2. BSOD / Game crashes when loading or playing most games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD / Game crashes when loading or playing most games: As read above the PC crashes almost everytime I try to launch or just start playing a game msot specififcally Rainbow six seige, I have tried using the driver verifier to but it put the system into a constant loop of bsods on startup, i get some dump files but most seem to...
  3. BSOD / Game crashes when loading or playing most games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD / Game crashes when loading or playing most games: As read above the PC crashes almost everytime I try to launch or just start playing a game msot specififcally Rainbow six seige, I have tried using the driver verifier to but it put the system into a constant loop of bsods on startup, i get some dump files but most seem to...
  4. BSOD Memory Management mostly while playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Memory Management mostly while playing games: Split from this thread.Hi can you help me too i always experiencs bsod memory management mostly while playing Games. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a 0x000000000000003f, 0x0000000000061c5e, 0x00000000b0f35efb, 0x0000000024549047. this...
  5. BSOD mostly on playing video games

BSOD mostly on playing video games: Hello, I have been struggling with BSOD since I changed my configuration and upgraded my CPU and motherboard. I took the new CPU and motherboard from a fully functionnal computer and installed them in a functionnal computer. I get the BSOD whenever I play video games, it...
  6. BSODs mostly after opening & playing games

BSODs mostly after opening & playing games: Everything was all good before 4-5 days ago. I changed the broken keyboard and it went bad. (Before replacement keyboard, my friend punched my bag that I was carrying by thinking there is nothing in it but there was my laptop Some plastic fragments came out from screw places,...
  7. BSOD (atikmdag+0x48999) in minidump

BSOD (atikmdag+0x48999) in minidump: New Win10 10.0.16299 Build 16299 Samsung MXHPV256HDGL-0000 M.2 system drive Asrock X99 -11 Extreme i7-5930K Saphire Radeon R9 295-X2 with AMD 22.19.677.257 driver This is a dual GPU card Running ServeRaid M5210 SAS raid with 2 arrays 8 rotational disks total Dual EVGA...
  8. SYSTEM_ERROR_EXCEPTION and random BSOD's

SYSTEM_ERROR_EXCEPTION and random BSOD's: Hello and thank you for looking into my problem. I have had issues with Windows 10 before after upgrading from 7. BSOD after BSOD. So I decided to do a fresh install of 10 to see if it solved any problems and it did! .. For a little while, anyways. So now I come to...
  9. BSOD Randomly (but mostly while playing games)

BSOD Randomly (but mostly while playing games): Hey guys. After installing a new graphics card (msi gtx 1050 ti oc ) on my pc my pc started to make bleeping noises then freezing for a moment. I noticed during this the hard drive was not doing anything (the led of in pc case). This started to get more and more frequent and...
  10. BSOD win10 System_error_exception when starting a game

BSOD win10 System_error_exception when starting a game: Hi,firstly I want to apologize for my enligsh if it's hard to read,I am not english-speaker ... So,at sunday I upgraded my win8.1 to win10 and problems started popping up.After 2-3 days I solved most of them,but this one still bothers me.Its happening only when I start a...
Tags: