Windows 10: BSOD Registry Error

Discus and support BSOD Registry Error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Dual boot, W7 is the default OS. Start up boots into W10TP instead of BIOS selection screen without asking for password. Chrome won't open, reboot,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by wptski, Mar 2, 2015.

1. wptski Win User

BSOD Registry Error

Dual boot, W7 is the default OS. Start up boots into W10TP instead of BIOS selection screen without asking for password. Chrome won't open, reboot, asks for password this time and get Chrome back, somehow! Posting in a forum, BSOD for registry error.

This is the first BSOD in a long time.

Download BSOD logger app to desktop, run but zip is empty! Try twice, same thing. Reboot, download again, run, zip is empty again but shows "SFdebugfile" on desktop. Double-click, windows can't open, right click on the folder to check location and it BSOD for registry again.

I did clear the %TEMP% folder, may try again. Here's what get, unsure if it's empty or not now: Attachment 13631

Yep, empty again!

:)

wptski, Mar 2, 2015
  2. Le Boule Win User
    Le Boule, Mar 2, 2015
  3. BSOD when trying to update win 10 from 1703 to 1709 (creators update)

When updating to the latest version I get a BSOD when it is in the process of installing. When it gets to around 35% it will BSOD. This has happened 10 times now and I always get one of 2 errors:
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL. / Error code: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

here is link to minidmp file and msinfo32 files

Shared items 3-17-2018 2

Here's what I've tried.

• Initial attempt. BSoD at 35% updating.
    • Ran Troubleshooting BSoD. No problems detected.
    • Troubleshooting Window Update failures. Corrupt registry key fixed; updates found. BSoD at 35% updating. Same error code: IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL.
    • Clean boot. Removed all startup apps. Did not work. BSoD at 35% updating. Error code: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.
    • Ran verifier on all drivers. Did not find any unverified or out of date drivers. All checks passed.
    • Ran a hardware/memory check no problems were found.

asad_pasha, Mar 2, 2015
  4. usasma Win User

BSOD Registry Error

Please provide these 3 things:

usasma, Mar 3, 2015
  5. wptski Win User
    Too late! It seemed to settle down so I went create an image. Somewhere between 90% and 100% done it crashed again. I wasn't sure if it completed so I was doing an integrity check of the image and shorty after starting, it crashed again.

From an recovery drive, I tried to use a system restore point and that errored out so I restored from an eight day old image. I deleted that old image as I don't trust it really although its integrity checked good from WinPE. Created a new image, build it back up with no BSODs during that time so I'm good till the next time.

Is that common for that logger app to not work on some systems?

wptski, Mar 3, 2015
  6. usasma Win User
    The logger app has been changed several times since it was originally started by Captain Jack over at Vistax64 forums (I think).
    There hasn't been a great deal of testing with the logger app on Win10 systems, so it's hard to tell if the problem was Windows or the app.

But, AFAIK, the app really isn't involved in kernel mode functions - so it shouldn't be responsible for BSOD's.
    I saw the source code for the original app, but haven't been privy to the source for the latest versions.

usasma, Mar 3, 2015
  7. wptski Win User
    Using MyBluescreenViewer on the BSODs it showed registry but caused by the NT Kernel & System. My last BSOD was back on 2/25/15 but was NFTS caused and all others I've had in the past were all NFTS caused.

NTFS caused BSODs triggers CHKDSK on all system drives but these just caused the W10TP drive to be checked for errors. I've manually checked the disk prior to booting and it's clean before at least.

I did use Testdisk from CgSecurity which "might" have caused my problems but who knows! I won't be running that from W10TP anyways.

wptski, Mar 3, 2015
  8. usasma Win User

BSOD Registry Error

NT Kernel & System is ntoskrnl.exe - the kernel (core) of the OS
    NTFS is the file system on the disk - so chkdsk is one of the tools to be used, but there are other possible problems.

Testdisk is a possibility here. Their page doesn't show Win8 (nor Win10) as being compatible.
    This is a possible cause, but it's uncertain at this point.
    It all depends on what it did to the file system - and how Win10 reacted to it.

usasma, Mar 3, 2015
  9. wptski Win User
    Others using Testdisk ran into the same usage problem as I did, recovered a file, it copied it but it can't be found! One reply outlined how set a destination path but suggested that it "probably" copied to one's main drive and that could be an issue with W10TP but it wasn't on W7. Like you stated, it not listed for W8/8.1 so I was taking a chance using it.

wptski, Mar 3, 2015
  10. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Right click on it and run as administrator. it should work.

Attachment 14071
    If it is a stop 0x51 (as it appears from your original post), then you should test your HDD and scan the system for virus using a bootable tool. Seatools for DOS will be a good option for testing the HDD and Windows Defender Offline is a good bootable scanner. .

11. wptski Win User
    The app doesn't stop. It gathers, it copies, it creates and it finishes but creates an empty zip folder. It's a WD drive and its diagnostics app finds no problems. I've had no issues since I restored either.

The app did work on W7.

wptski, Mar 10, 2015
  12. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Sort of strange because it works just fine for me, and I also use 10TP.

Attachment 14164
    Anyway, its good to know that you havent had this issue lately. You may consider the issue as solved if you think that it is really over.

13. z3r010 Win User

BSOD Registry Error

Try this (right click run as admin), it will just create a folder on your desktop with all the files in, you will need to zip it up when done and upload the files.

z3r010, Mar 10, 2015
  14. wptski Win User
    It doesn't create a zipped folder like it does in W7 and one must do that manually?

EDIT:
    Whoops! This one is different but Windows Smart Screen prevents it from running.

wptski, Mar 10, 2015
  15. blueelvis Win User
    It is just that SmartScreen has not seen many instances of this batch file and hence it gave you a warning. But, you should get an option to run that app anyways. Don't worry, the application is safe *Wink

-Pranav

blueelvis, Mar 12, 2015
Thema:

BSOD Registry Error

1. BSOD Registry Error - Similar Threads - BSOD Registry Error

2. BSOD REGISTRY ERROR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD REGISTRY ERROR: I woke up and updated my windows 11 laptop and everything was normal. But when I came home my laptop took 10 minutes to show the boot logo and then I got a Registry Error bsod. I tried using cmd But it keeps saying that my drive is write protected and no other tutorial has a...
  3. BSOD registry error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD registry error: The power in my room switched off and i had an update pending for a couple weeks so when i went to turn my pc back on it started the update and i went to sleep, when i woke up hours later i realised my pc had been restarting as if it were booting up monitor not connecting to...
  4. BSOD registry error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD registry error: The power in my room switched off and i had an update pending for a couple weeks so when i went to turn my pc back on it started the update and i went to sleep, when i woke up hours later i realised my pc had been restarting as if it were booting up monitor not connecting to...
  5. BSOD registry error

BSOD registry error: I was just playing a game... All of a sudden my system crashed with error code REGISTRY_ERROR I don't know what caused it but I can't get back to the desktop, nor use chkdsk or DISM it just keeps crashing on and on...
  6. BSOD: Registry Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD: Registry Error: Need help, nothing I tried worked:SFC: Errors found, after restart still the sameDISM: cleanup-image is option is unknownCHKDSK: Found the drive that had an error.Tried deleting the disk while reinstalling windows or formatting but just becomes an error. Tried clean in cmd...
  7. BSOD: Registry Error

BSOD: Registry Error: Need help, nothing I tried worked:SFC: Errors found, after restart still the sameDISM: cleanup-image is option is unknownCHKDSK: Found the drive that had an error.Tried deleting the disk while reinstalling windows or formatting but just becomes an error. Tried clean in cmd...
  8. bsod registry error

bsod registry error: My computer crashed, and when I power it on, it loads the manufacturer logo and then the blue screen "windows encountered a problem and needs to restart." Stopcode: registry error. Then it reboots and does the cycle again - manufacturer logo, blue screen, manufacturer logo,...
  9. bsod registry error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bsod registry error: My computer crashed, and when I power it on, it loads the manufacturer logo and then the blue screen "windows encountered a problem and needs to restart." Stopcode: registry error. Then it reboots and does the cycle again - manufacturer logo, blue screen, manufacturer logo,...
  10. Registry error bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry error bsod: I'm getting a bsod that says "registry_error" after about 3 minutes of being booted up. I've tried the sfc/scannow but it can't complete. It says "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. tried running sfc/scannow in safe mode as well with the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w7 bsod registry_error