Windows 10: BSOD Restart Loop- mferfpk.sys (full error in text)

Discus and support BSOD Restart Loop- mferfpk.sys (full error in text) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone, First, I have to apologize for this post being a little bit slim. I helped a friend of my grandmothers upgrade from Windows 7 to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Landrin, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Landrin Win User

BSOD Restart Loop- mferfpk.sys (full error in text)

Hi everyone,

First, I have to apologize for this post being a little bit slim. I helped a friend of my grandmothers upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 yesterday (she is one of those people who really likes new technology) and it went very well, at first. It all installed fine, accounts were all read and worked fine, we used it for about 20 minutes. I have learned to never leave someone with new software without restarting the computer to make sure it is all working fine.

That's where this crash was. The Windows logo appeared, with the little loading circle under it. It then went to a black screen (which is all normal in my experience, but very fast). The black screen stayed. And stayed. About 10 seconds later the mouse pointer appeared, and I could move it around, but the screen was still black. Then the BSOD appeared.

The full error code was: driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (mfewfpk.sys).

It then proceeded to restart. And get caught by the same crash again.

And it restarted a third time. And if finally brought me to a place where I could start it in safe mode. I used my phone to look up the error- this apparently had happened in Windows 8 as well, and is a problem with a McAfee security driver. I found the driver in question, and deleted it. The crash stopped after I did that.

Driver location for others having this issue: C:/Windows/System32/drivers

I am posting this here for a few reasons. First, I want to know if anyone else has had this error, and if you have found a better way of fixing it that totally removing the driver.

Second, I want to know if this is a McAfee problem, or a not-updated McAfee problem. My friend had stopped using McAfee years ago, and had uninstalled it, but as I have learned in the past "uninstalling" McAfee from the control panel in Win7 doesn't actually uninstall it. It just removes the bulky files and leaves all the drivers. Could it be that because it had remained not updated for so long, the out of date driver caused the crash?

That brings me to my next question- all of my computers run McAfee, and I actually am really interested in upgrading to Win10. It looks great, and I loved the few minutes of playing around with it. But, will it conflict with my security software? Will this crash happen even with an up to date version of McAfee?

I know this forum is for Windows 10- if you guys don't have answers, that's fine. I wanted to post this somewhere so that the solution that worked for me would be out there in case other people have the same problem. But, maybe you'll all know.

I do have one other somewhat related question. How does one easily get to the option to boot into safe mode with Windows 10? I could not for the life of me figure it out. Is there no pre-startup button? Is the only option to just let it crash (or force it to) until it decides you're ready for safe mode?

Thanks!

:)

Landrin, Aug 3, 2015
  2. TCamaro Win User

win 10 nov update caused reboot loop

I have been using win 10 (upgraded from win 7 to 10 through ms about 3 months ago) just fine until the nov update automatically installed on my pc. Now I am in an endless reboot loop to 2 different BSOD.

1st BSOD says: "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you" "If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM"

My pc restarts then says "Preparing automatic repair"

It then comes up to 2nd BSOD: "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you" "If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: WDF_VIOLATION"

It will not automatically fix and is in and endless loop with these two BSOD.

Please help

Thanks

TCamaro, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Error: infinite BSoD loop

After around 2 years of using an Acer Aspire R11, I decided to log into my computer one day, and it turns out that the battery was not charging. I then restarted my computer, and now I get a BSoD error: bad_system_config_info. after collecting the error
    data, my computer restarted, only this time, the bootup screen showed a "Preparing automatic repair" text. After booting up, I'm shown the "select account page". Since I do not have admin access on my PC, I decided to restart, in the hopes that the PC would
    troubleshoot the problem. But now, the PC restart caused the same BSoD, with the same error message. This was the loop that occured. If you know how to solve this, please respond quickly. It's the only laptop I own!

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup.

Dcubegamer, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

McAfee has caused countless BSODs, the best solution is to completely uninstall it using the tool linked below and, for Widnows 10, use native Defender coupled with on-demand scans of MalwareBytes.

BSOD Restart Loop- mferfpk.sys (full error in text) [​IMG]

Boozad, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. BSOD Restart Loop- mferfpk.sys (full error in text) - Similar Threads - BSOD Restart Loop

2. BSOD - qcwlan64.sys error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - qcwlan64.sys error: Dear Community,After reinstalling and fully updating windows 11 on a lenovo thinkpad laptop I get repeated and very frequent bsod errors with no stop number but reference to file qcwlan64.sys. I checked qualcom drivers via Windows Decice Manager but windows indicates most...
  3. BSOD - qcwlan64.sys error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD - qcwlan64.sys error: Dear Community,After reinstalling and fully updating windows 11 on a lenovo thinkpad laptop I get repeated and very frequent bsod errors with no stop number but reference to file qcwlan64.sys. I checked qualcom drivers via Windows Decice Manager but windows indicates most...
  4. BSOD chain into restart loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD chain into restart loop: I built my pc a few months ago & haven’t really had any issues up until like last week. Just now it got really bad, I’m getting BSOD after BSOD and it’s always the same four errors:...
  5. BSOD to Sys Repair Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD to Sys Repair Loop: Ok, as of yesterday Feb 9 I got a blue screen of death and tried to restart after it loaded all the info but it only made my situation worse. Whenever i shut my computer and reload it- the loop gets stuck. So of course i try to pull up the command prompt or sys config- but...
  6. rtwlane02.sys BSOD error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    rtwlane02.sys BSOD error: Hi. I was playing a game on my computer. However after a while my computer crashed. It was a bsod rtwlane02.sys failed. It also had PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error message too. I cant access my desktop to try and update my drivers. I have access to the cmd though. My...
  7. BSOD - every restart - bcmlw6.sys

BSOD - every restart - bcmlw6.sys: One of my laptops, recently updated to windows 10, gives a BSOD every time it is restart. The error message is system_thread_exception_not_handled bcmlw6.sys Any ideas on how I might fix this? If the computer is shut down it doesn't happen - it only happens during a...
  8. BSOD Loop restart.

BSOD Loop restart.: I've been experiencing startup issues with my PC since last night. I go to startup and startup freezes. It seems that something is either stuck or freezing up on loading. Since it doesn't fully boot up, I have been hitting the reset button or holding the power button. It...
  9. BSOD and restart loop

BSOD and restart loop: Hi I have been getting random BSOD with all different kinds of messages (tcpsp.sis missing or contains errors, irql_not_less_or_equal, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) The PC is custom built by myself and I have tried many things to try to find out what the issue is ( cleared...
  10. Windows 10 BSOD Boot Loop, WDF01000.SYS error

Windows 10 BSOD Boot Loop, WDF01000.SYS error: I was just browsing the web when my machine locked up and started going into a boot loop that would go to attempting repair, diagnosing problem and then would loop again with the Windows 10 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (wdf01000.sys). The machine will let me choose the safe...