Windows 10: BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault

Discus and support BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi Guys, Been battling with a BSOD for a while that according to blue screen viewer is being caused by hal.dll. Traced this to mean some sort of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by shuff, Mar 14, 2017.

1. shuff Win User

BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault

Hi Guys,

Been battling with a BSOD for a while that according to blue screen viewer is being caused by hal.dll. Traced this to mean some sort of hardware error so have tried cleaning out PC to eliminate and heat issues and run memory tests a couple of times which have always come back fine.

It doesnt seem to be caused by me doing anything in particular and seems to happen fairly randomly, often a few times in an hour and then run fine for a while.

My next plan was to do a BIOS update but figured I should check in and see if I was missing anything obvious before hand (plus to make sure I was applying the right update!) Could potentially do with some driver updates if that might be the cause?

The dump files should be attached.

Any help would be great, thanks!

:)

shuff, Mar 14, 2017
  2. Hydrall Win User

Seemingly random BSODs with no constant cause?

Having finished 11 passes now after leaving the computer on all night, it only found that one error the whole time. Is there any indication in that data that would tell me which stick in particular is busted? I do have four RAM sticks in my computer -
    would be nice if I could replace just one of them.

Hydrall, Mar 14, 2017
  3. Hydrall Win User
    Seemingly random BSODs with no constant cause?

The test has yet to finish all eight - I'm typing from a phone - but in the latest pass it detected an error. Should I let it continue, or should I stop it and swap the memory around, check if it finds the error again?

The error was:

Test: 6

Pass: 2

Failing Address: 001370b89dc - 4976.5MB

Good: ffe80000

Bad: fbe80000

Err-Bits: 04000000

Count: 1

CPU: 0

Hydrall, Mar 14, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

All dumps are similar, a read error with core 3.
    Have BSOD occured from the beginning?
    Code: =============================================================================== Common Platform Error Record @ ffffc00bb5fe2028 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Record Id : 01d29b6c0319a61f Severity : Fatal (1) Length : 928 Creator : Microsoft Notify Type : Machine Check Exception Timestamp : 3/13/2017 19:23:17 (UTC) Flags : 0x00000000 =============================================================================== Section 0 : Processor Generic ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Descriptor @ ffffc00bb5fe20a8 Section @ ffffc00bb5fe2180 Offset : 344 Length : 192 Flags : 0x00000001 Primary Severity : Fatal Proc. Type : x86/x64 Instr. Set : x64 Error Type : Cache error Operation : Data Read Flags : 0x00 Level : 1 CPU Version : 0x0000000000100f43 Processor ID : 0x0000000000000003 =============================================================================== Section 1 : x86/x64 Processor Specific ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Descriptor @ ffffc00bb5fe20f0 Section @ ffffc00bb5fe2240 Offset : 536 Length : 128 Flags : 0x00000000 Severity : Fatal Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000003 CPU Id : 43 0f 10 00 00 08 04 03 - 09 20 80 00 ff fb 8b 17 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Proc. Info 0 @ ffffc00bb5fe2240 =============================================================================== Section 2 : x86/x64 MCA ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Descriptor @ ffffc00bb5fe2138 Section @ ffffc00bb5fe22c0 Offset : 664 Length : 264 Flags : 0x00000000 Severity : Fatal Error : DCACHEL1_DRD_ERR (Proc 3 Bank 0) Status : 0xb633200062000135 Address : 0x00000001f4185a00 Misc. : 0x0000000000000000[/quote]

5. shuff Win User
    [/quote] I want to say no, but its a 6 year old build(with a few changes but same cpu) so difficult to remember.

Definitely had a bsod problem for a long while, with varying severity. Usually, when it got bad I could clean out my pc and it would fix it so I have always just attributed it to heat.

shuff, Mar 15, 2017
  6. Could be overheating:

BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    CPU TEST

Run Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU - Windows 10 Forums

Warning Your CPU temperatures will rise quickly while under this stress test. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if overheating occurs.

BSODHunter, Mar 16, 2017
  7. axe0 New Member
    A couple of questions:
    What is your case, PSU and cooler?
    When was the last time that you replaced the thermal paste?
    Have you in those years kept an eye on the temps of the CPU?
    What changes have you made?

8. DeclanT Win User

Hi Shuff,

As BSODHunter stated this could be an overheating issue so I recommend running prime95 and reporting your temps.

I would also recommend resetting your Cmos and updating your BIOS.

DeclanT, Mar 16, 2017
  9. shuff Win User

Warning Your CPU temperatures will rise quickly while under this stress test. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if overheating occurs. Crashed after about 30 secs, HWMonitor said it was at 67oC. Have seen it at 71 when streaming video and playing games.

shuff, Mar 16, 2017
  10. shuff Win User
    Case - Cooler Master: Scout

PSU - Cant remember exactly but its 700W cooler master psu that came with case

CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 - 150 Watt Multicompatible Low Noise CPU Cooler for AMD and Intel Sockets: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last time I replace thermal paste was when I bought the heat sink, which was apparantly 2014....

Since the pc was first built - new heat sink, new gpu, new HDD and new SSD.

Have tried to keep an eye on it and it has always run hot, originally when it became too much of a problem I replaced the stock cooler with the above. More recently, now the crashes have been getting worse ive been paying more attention and seen it get over 70oC

shuff, Mar 16, 2017
  11. shuff Win User

Warning Your CPU temperatures will rise quickly while under this stress test. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if overheating occurs. Forgot to attach dump, 17/03/17 at around 6pm

shuff, Mar 16, 2017
  12. shuff Win User
    Hi, yea have thought about doing both of those but just wanted to see if I was missing anything first. Definitley think it is a heat problem, this cpu has always run a little hot (IIRC it is stock over clocked (AMD Phenom II X4 980 3.7ghz))

shuff, Mar 16, 2017
  13. axe0 New Member

You indeed have an overheating problem, but that may be due to the thermal paste.

14. shuff Win User
    I think I would agree with that, ill get some remover and new paste. Will let you know how it goes.

shuff, Mar 16, 2017
  15. Is there any news or did you fix the problem?

BSODHunter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault - Similar Threads - BSOD seemingly caused

2. hardware failure caused BSOD. No recent hardware changes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hardware failure caused BSOD. No recent hardware changes.: DescriptionEen probleem met de hardware heeft ervoor gezorgd dat Windows niet meer goed werkt.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 144Parameter 1: 3003Parameter 2: ffff878af5ceb538Parameter 3: 40010000Parameter 4: 0Versie besturingssysteem:...
  3. hardware failure caused BSOD. No recent hardware changes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hardware failure caused BSOD. No recent hardware changes.: DescriptionEen probleem met de hardware heeft ervoor gezorgd dat Windows niet meer goed werkt.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 144Parameter 1: 3003Parameter 2: ffff878af5ceb538Parameter 3: 40010000Parameter 4: 0Versie besturingssysteem:...
  4. ntoskrnl.exe causing BSOD seemingly randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ntoskrnl.exe causing BSOD seemingly randomly: My new PC keeps BSOD-ing every couple of days. I get a few different messages, the last few are: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL APC INDEX MISMATCH ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NOEXECUTE MEMORY In all caseses ntoskrnl.exe is identified as the culprit. The...
  5. Constant BSOD caused by hardware and memory_corruption

Constant BSOD caused by hardware and memory_corruption: After running one of my dmp files through WinDBG I found the image_name to be "memory_corruption" I did some research into that and found it to commonly be a driver problem. I reset my PC yesterday and am still having BSOD so if resetting fixed any drivers, it didn't fix the...
  6. BSOD - Fault in hardware?

BSOD - Fault in hardware?: Hello community, I ran into a BSOD yesterday. Two stop codes I am getting are. "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" My hardware is new 3 Months Old Ryzen 3600, Corsair veng. Mem. & ROG Strix B450 F System running at default values have...
  7. Webcam not working and seemingly causing BSODs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Webcam not working and seemingly causing BSODs: I have a Lenovo Yoga 710-14IKB. I tried opening the Camera app and I got, alternately flashing, the message "0xA00F244<NoCamerasAreAttached>" and another message which didn't display long enough for me to read the whole thing, but which included the words...
  8. BSOD - multiple fault buckets are possible cause?

BSOD - multiple fault buckets are possible cause?: Hello, I am assisting some friends fixing their computer and I'm trying to Isolate the error. I was hoping to have assistance to diagnosing said error. In the windows error reporting I have noticed they have had multiple fault buckets over the past few months. Here is the...
  9. Lots of BSOD's Seemingly Without Cause

Lots of BSOD's Seemingly Without Cause: Well, something must have changed since Windows updated, as I'm now getting very frequent BSOD's again. I once even got a BSOD, restarted and before the computer even started up, I got another BSOD... Here's the requested data: JOSHDESKTOP-2016_07_14_(木)_173041_19.zip...
  10. Various BSODs - ntoskrnl.exe seems to be at fault

Various BSODs - ntoskrnl.exe seems to be at fault: Hi there, I've recently built a new computer, and everything seemed to be working fine up until a few weeks ago when I got a BSOD - okay no biggie I'll look it up and, oh, a different BSOD. This was the beginning. Since then I can't seem to use my computer for long...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. BSOD hardware caused fault