Windows 10: BSOD (System_thread_exception) when attempting backup of C:

Discus and support BSOD (System_thread_exception) when attempting backup of C: in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Attachment 90971Attachment 90972Some background on the issue. I had the System thread BSOD when I restarted my computer and I tried to launch into safe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Psychosmiley999, Jul 18, 2016.

1. BSOD (System_thread_exception) when attempting backup of C:

Attachment 90971Attachment 90972Some background on the issue. I had the System thread BSOD when I restarted my computer and I tried to launch into safe mode but it still crashed at the logo, so instead I reinstalled windows and restored from a backup after reinstalling my drivers. However, now everytime I try to backup my files it gives me the System thread BSOD. Any ideas on fixing this?

:)

Psychosmiley999, Jul 18, 2016

2. BSOD after upgrading to Windows 10

After upgrading to Windows 10 my laptop shows BSOD. The error shown mostly is System_Thread_Exception not handled. Also I tried rolling back to Windows 8.1 but it says that files needed for this have been deleted even though my windows.old folder still
    exists.

SachinAgrawal_272, Jul 18, 2016
  3. njohnsn Win User
    BSOD occurs on laptop power up, but is fine after rebooting.

When every I power up my laptop after it has been shut off for several hours I get a BSOD (usually every morning).

Most of the time it is related to some driver and the stop code is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION.

The last error was in FLTMGR.SYS.

The system reboots and then everything is fine until I power off the laptop and leave it off (again over night).

Is there a way I can figure out what is causing the issue?

Thanks.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

njohnsn, Jul 18, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

BSOD (System_thread_exception) when attempting backup of C:

The first thing I see is you are way back level on Windows Updates.

You are still at the release level 10240. The current version is 10586.494.

Please install all Windows Updates then test more. Meanwhile I'll take a look at the dump.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Looks like you are slightly under clocked. Is this intentional?

Code: kd> !sysinfo cpuspeed CPUID: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz" MaxSpeed: 3100 CurrentSpeed: 3093[/quote] All the dumps are the same:

Code: BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80102176289, ffffd0002200cfa8, ffffd0002200c7c0} Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!RegRtlQueryValue+d5 )[/quote] Unfortunately this doesn't help at all.

There are some things you can do to stress the system and see if that brings out a bad driver or defective hardware.

Stress Non Microsoft drivers: Driver Verifier
    Stress CPU: Prime95
    Stress GPU: FurMark
    Test RAM: Memtest86+

Directions follow:
    ===================================================
    Driver Verifier is a diagnostic tool built into Windows 10, it is designed to verify both native Microsoft drivers and third party drivers. Driver Verifier's verification process involves putting heavy stress on drivers with the intention of making bad, outdated, incompatible or misbehaving drivers fail. The required result is a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) which will generate a crash dump for debugging purposes.
    Machines exposed to Driver Verifier will run very sluggishly due to the stress being applied to the drivers.

Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable in Windows 10

Pay close attention to

BSOD (System_thread_exception) when attempting backup of C: [​IMG]
    PART TWO

and make sure the correct boxes are checked.

Warning:
    It is not advised to run Driver Verifier for more than 48 hours at a time. Disable Driver Verifier after 48 hours or after receiving a BSOD, whichever happens soonest.

Always create a Restore Point prior to enabling Driver Verifier.

What we're looking for is a BSOD with a mini dump that will tell us what driver caused it.
    Follow this tutorial to stress test your CPU:
    Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU - Windows 10 Forums
    Follow this tutorials to stress test your GPU:
    FurMark - GPU Stress Test - Windows 10 Forums

If you have a AMD APU instead of a discreet GPU, try UNIGINE 3D Benchmark..
    Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Information

MemTest86+
    is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
    • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
    • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

Warning
    MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ by a Ten Forums member make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

Note
    MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.

Try them one at a time and post results.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2016
  6. Sorry, I kinda made this thread while panicking since it crashed so suddenly attempting the fixes now.

Yup just needed some updating

Psychosmiley999, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BSOD (System_thread_exception) when attempting backup of C:

1. BSOD (System_thread_exception) when attempting backup of C: - Similar Threads - BSOD System_thread_exception attempting

2. Bridge.sys BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION etc..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bridge.sys BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION etc..: How to fix it?************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : false AllowNugetExeUpdate : false AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : false...
  3. Bridge.sys BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION etc..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bridge.sys BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION etc..: How to fix it?************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : false AllowNugetExeUpdate : false AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : false...
  4. Bridge.sys BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION etc..

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Multiple Issues when attempting to Restore backup to new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Issues when attempting to Restore backup to new laptop: Hello, Just to preface all this I'm not very savvy with code & etc in fact it can scare me sometimes .I'm attempting to download saved image, settings & files from my old laptop ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 to my new one ASUS ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition. I used this guide to...
  6. BSOD when attempting to reset computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD when attempting to reset computer: For the past couple days I've been trying to reset my computer because whenever I go to download/install/load something I get BSOD (blue screen of death). The error is System Service Exception if that helps. During preparation of reseting It happens around 50% which is...
  7. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION BSOD

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION BSOD: Hi all, I've been having this issue for about a week now and for the life of me I cannot figure anything out, even with driver verifier or chkdsk. The BSODs just happen at random, usually with SYSTEN_THREAD_EXCEPTION, I looked at the minidumps through BluescreenView and they...
  8. BSOD system_thread_exception...

BSOD system_thread_exception...: I had a BSOD and i dont know the reason behind it. I linked the minidump file https://easyupload.io/n5idjz Maybe someone is able to help me Thanks in advance...
  9. BSOD When attempting to update to 2004

BSOD When attempting to update to 2004: Hi, I'm trying to update my 1909 to 2004 but it gets to a certain percentage and then BSOD that says SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, any help on what is causing the issue? My dmp file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqrKHNhdOIMrgSLpT2ALyGVv11BV?e=FyLxz0...
  10. BSOD Attempt to write to readonly memory (VHDMP.SYS) during Backup

BSOD Attempt to write to readonly memory (VHDMP.SYS) during Backup: My computer delivers a BSOD and reboots when I get to about 95% through a Windows backup. The error message points to VHDMP.SYS. It's actually failed intermittently for some weeks and then backed-up okay but today some 10 attempts have all failed. I've tried checks to the...