Windows 10: BSOD | SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys)

Discus and support BSOD | SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi! Recently, I'm getting random BSODs (while browsing, while gaming) and it never happened in the past. In the blue screen, it mentioned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by seventhstar27, Feb 25, 2016.

1. BSOD | SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys)

Hi!

Recently, I'm getting random BSODs (while browsing, while gaming) and it never happened in the past.

In the blue screen, it mentioned SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys) every time.

I did clean install of the Nvidia driver twice in safe mode but I'm still getting the same issue.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite L40-A laptop with GT 740M graphics card, hooked to a 24" monitor via hdmi connector.

Display Driver v361.91
    GeForce Experience v2.10.2.40

I don't know where to start, please help me solve this.

- - - - -
    Update:

DM Log Collector file is now attached.

:)

seventhstar27, Feb 25, 2016
  2. Rudolfos0 Win User

BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys)

So my laptop ran out of memory (16 GB) and screen turned off, everything else was working, fan, disks, etc. So I assumed it must be video card crash.. There were no signs of BSOD, only screen turned off.

So I forced shutdown, when I turned on I checked BSOD logs and found that actually BSOD happened and most likely it was caused again by NVIDIA drivers. (I have posted before of NVIDIA drivers that cause BSODs , they all start with nv.... .sys)

http://i.imgur.com/OMILVMe.png

All my drivers are up to date, all drivers are downloaded from official driver websites - Intel and NVIDIA, because TOSHIBA Laptop drivers haven't been updated for 3 years.

Minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMGow1YsigMhSSPvohFGPNGCsb7

Some screenshots from event viewer:

http://i.imgur.com/US7tYGF.png

http://i.imgur.com/quWYgOv.png

http://i.imgur.com/rPxEpVz.png

http://i.imgur.com/K3NtrhT.png

http://i.imgur.com/QSFtVpu.png

http://i.imgur.com/j4U4Nfe.png

Sadly this forum is a incapable of detecting image links.

Would it be a better idea to downgrade newest drivers to the ones compatible with Windows 8.1 ? ...

Rudolfos0, Feb 25, 2016
  3. BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys)

Hi Rudolph,

If the BSOD issue was caused by hardware malfunctioning, we recommend performing the troubleshooting steps provided below:

• Check for updates. Many stop errors can be fixed by updating Windows. In the search box on the taskbar, type Windows Update, then select Windows Update. On the Windows Update
      page, select Check for updates.
    • Remove hardware. Unplug unnecessary external hardware (printers, webcams, additional monitors, etc.) and see if the stop error is fixed.
    • Remove software. Some stop errors can be caused by apps or other software. Select the Startbutton, then select Settings
      > System > Apps & features . Select Sort by name and change it to Sort by install date. Select
      a recently installed or unnecessary app you want to remove, and then select Uninstall.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Michelle Vil, Feb 25, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

BSOD | SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys)

I suggest to start with removing counterfeit programs
    • it is against the rules
    • it'll make troubleshooting only difficult
    Code: Start Menu\Programs\KMSpico Public:Start Menu\Programs\KMSpico Public[/quote]

5. I understand.

Here's the updated one.

seventhstar27, Feb 25, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    My first suggestion would be to stop using Auslogics Registry Cleaner and Auslogics Registry Defrag,
    It won't speed up your system and the risk of getting problems is pretty high
    The registry doesn't need a defragmentation, simply because the registry is all over the place and always will be. What Auslogics states about, what I've read (about freeing memory space), is not true because it is not the registry that does it. The registry is only a place for your system that it knows where what is and let the program know what to do, but the program does the actual thing where the registry is the place for the where and what part.

Please remove / disable items from the startup in taskmanager
    These programs could interfere with the boot process giving you trouble and increase the boot time.

Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known cause for BSOD's.
    Please remove Daemon Tools and run the SPTD pass through remover.

• Uninstall Daemon Tools
    • Download the SPTD standalone installer and follow these steps:
      • Double click the executable to open it
      • Click on the button shown below

BSOD | SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys) [​IMG]

If the button is grayed out, like in the image, there is no more SPTD installation on your system, and you can close the window

Please uninstall everything of Nvidia using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from Toshiba. Be sure the clean install box is checked and only install the Graphics driver and the PhysX driver.
    Attachment 66548
    Code: *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff801ff1a761f, ffffd000249a4078, ffffd000249a3890} Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+39761f ) Followup: MachineOwner 0: kd> lmvm nvlddmkm start end module name fffff801`fee10000 fffff801`ffa35000 nvlddmkm T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: nvlddmkm.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys Image name: nvlddmkm.sys Timestamp: Tue Feb 09 05:28:39 2016 (56B96AF7) CheckSum: 00BF2DF6 ImageSize: 00C25000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]

7. Auslogics Registry Cleaner - REMOVED

Auslogics Registry Defrag - REMOVED

Startup Items - Minimal (Only WD Quick View, Nvidia Backend, Corsair M45 Mouse, Epson L355 Driver)

Daemon Tools - REMOVED, no SPTD detected

Toshiba Drivers - Hard to find the drivers for my specific Toshiba laptop model so I used DriverPack and found a bunch of drivers that needs update.

As of now, I'm still updating the Toshiba drivers, I haven't reinstalled Nvidia yet.

Thanks for your help. I'm gonna monitor my laptop and post update here.

- - - - -

Is DriverPack Solution safe? The reason I'm using this is because I can't find specific drivers for my specific laptop model. I don't know but it's really weird.

The main model of my laptop is Toshiba Satellite L40-A but there's a lot of L40-A's and there's a specific characters that goes along after A. There's no specific text on the back of my laptop, it only says L40-A but there's a part no. (PSKHWL-002001) and serial no. (8D039404P). This laptop was bought here in the Philippines in 2013.

seventhstar27, Feb 26, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

BSOD | SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys) [​IMG]
    Warning Programs that claim to update your drivers install either the wrong or corrupted drivers.
    With laptops, only install the drivers the manufacturer provides. Laptop manufacturers usually alter their drivers what makes the user forced to only install the drivers from the laptop manufacturer for 100% proper functioning.

9. I understand, I made a recovery point before I did that. I'll revert it back.

I did the Nvidia clean installation instruction you gave. Only the driver and PhysX.

So far I haven't had any BSOD today, I even played CS Source for a bit.

seventhstar27, Feb 26, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    *Thumbs
    Keep me posted

11. Thanks for your help. I will continue monitoring and will post asap if anything comes up.

- - - - -
    Update: 29/02/16

For the sake of reference, this problem came up after using the game "optimize" feature of Nvidia Experience. I used it to load the best possible graphical configuration for my laptop's graphics card so I can run a game as smooth as possible.

seventhstar27, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD | SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys) - Similar Threads - BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED nvlddmkm

2. BSOD: system_thread_exception_not_handled What failed: RTKVHD64.sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD: system_thread_exception_not_handled What failed: RTKVHD64.sys: Hi, I have just had a couple of my users which a BSOD with the error: system_thread_exception_not_handled What failed: RTKVHD64.sysI have the Memory.dmp file, can anyone open it and see what may have caused the issue?...
  3. BSOD: system_thread_exception_not_handled What failed: RTKVHD64.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD: system_thread_exception_not_handled What failed: RTKVHD64.sys: Hi, I have just had a couple of my users which a BSOD with the error: system_thread_exception_not_handled What failed: RTKVHD64.sysI have the Memory.dmp file, can anyone open it and see what may have caused the issue?...
  4. BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED caused by driver lvrs64.sys

BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED caused by driver lvrs64.sys: As the title says, I have been encountering two same BSODs that is caused by one driver lvrs64.sys that happens to be Logitech driver from the external webcam that I bought for my laptop, Logitech C270, since my built-in webcam is broken. Please tell me if there are any...
  5. BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED igdkmd64.sys

BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED igdkmd64.sys: Dear all, Received BSOD a few times now with the above mentioned error. Followed the tip of 3d party accessories but just runnnig laptop with nothing connected gives the BSOD as well. I got word that with DMP files you would be able to find a culprit? Anyone know how that...
  6. Acer Aspire BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED - Qcamain10x64.sys

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Acer Aspire BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED - Qcamain10x64.sys: Hi, I've been having an issue with my computer (Acer Aspire R5-471T) bluescreening randomly; sometimes I'm not even at the computer, with nothing running, and the wifi driver will still crash and result in a bluescreen with stopcode SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with...
  7. System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled dxgmms2.sys

System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled dxgmms2.sys: This is a custom built computer, these errors happened starting around late november, after the november update if that helps. I am on the latest non-insider updates for windows 10, as well as video drivers. This seems to happen randomly, as note. Ranging from watching a...
  8. BSOD while using VLC - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLE dxgmms2.sys

BSOD while using VLC - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLE dxgmms2.sys: This was a BSOD that I had a a few months ago, before I installed the Creaters update. If anyone is familiar with the VLC media player program , I was using the clone feature to test CPU/GPU performance. I set the value to 100 then my computer ran into a BSOD. I tried to...
  9. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED - dxgmms2.sys

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED - dxgmms2.sys: Hi, I've encountered this BSOD while gaming since I upgraded my home computer to Windows 10 back in October 2015. I've been in contact with Nvidia's support but they pretty much blamed Microsoft and since they can't recreate the problem they're unable to help. There's a...
  10. system_thread_exception_not_handled: what failed: igdkmd64.sys

system_thread_exception_not_handled: what failed: igdkmd64.sys: Dell Optiplex790 USFF desktop with onboard Intel graphics, Win 10. In the last week a BSOD has randomly popped up about several times when I've been using FireFox. No game playing. In last case I was simply composing a post on a forum The system reboots and "fixes" itself,...