Windows 10: BSOD - Video Card not showing in device manager all the sudden.

Discus and support BSOD - Video Card not showing in device manager all the sudden. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; They have different levels of support. Did they offer to access the computer remotely and attempt to download and install the applications/drivers?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Etetherin, Sep 22, 2017.

1. zbook New Member

BSOD - Video Card not showing in device manager all the sudden.

They have different levels of support.
    Did they offer to access the computer remotely and attempt to download and install the applications/drivers?

Were you able to read the information on Windows driver verifier?

If not please learn the 3 methods to turn off windows driver verifier using Windows advanced troubleshooting menu.
    safe mode with command prompt
    command promp
    system restore

For level 2 Nvidia support they are available until 6PM PST
    (408) 486-2300

zbook, Sep 27, 2017
  2. drayla Win User

Hi,
    Was unable to send you a PM because of the 5 post limit but my name is Derek and I work with Nvidia tech support. If you want to PM me your name and email address and I can reach out through our support database. Not certain we can fix your problem but we can certainly try.

Derek-
    NVCC

drayla, Sep 27, 2017
  3. Etetherin Win User
    Well NVIDIA just told me to contact MSI. I contacted MSI and they said that it sounds like a bad Motherboard to them and they want me to send to them so they can assess for sure. If it is the Motherboard, than they will fix it for $300.

I do not understand how it could possibly be the motherboard, as Speccy and NVIDIA tool can see that the hardware is attached, meaning it is connected and the mother board can see it there. The port can not be jacked if those two can see it, that wouldn't make any sense.

If all else fails I guess i will end up sending it off to be repaired by them.

What are your opinions on what MSI says?

Etetherin, Oct 2, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

See if you can find a friend, neighbor, or local store to swap video cards.
    If the video card malfunctions in another computer then that indicates a problem with the video card.
    If the video card works fine in another computer that supports a problem with the MB.
    If another video card malfunctions in this computer then that supports again a problem with the MB.
    And if another video card works fine in this computer then that indicates a problem with the video card.

zbook, Oct 2, 2017
  5. Etetherin Win User
    I do not understand...
    Am i somehow miscommunicating the fact that I already swapped the original card that came in it with a new one of the same exact model in my attempts to solve this issue before I ever even posted on ten forums.

Let us say that this is a problem with the MB, then how can speccy and NVIDIA website tool see that i have the 770M installed?

Etetherin, Oct 2, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    When you replaced the video card what was the duration of time that it worked without problems?

zbook, Oct 3, 2017
  7. Etetherin Win User
    It didn't. I replaced it and then it still had same issue.

Etetherin, Oct 3, 2017
  8. Etetherin Win User

From my original post:

Etetherin, Oct 3, 2017
  9. Spectrum Win User
    If you unplug the video card, and use the built-in intel graphics, do you still get bugchecks? I believe your model of laptop uses both GPUs via Optimus. It won't hurt to update your Intel Graphics driver.

The constantly changing bugcheck codes does suggest an issue with hardware, possibly your motherboard. Have you ran memtest86+ overnight just to rule out your RAM as a problem?

Regarding the NVIDIA installer not detecting your card, have you tried the graphics driver from your vendor per NVIDIA's suggestion? They seem to be pretty old, but may work. Link

If that isn't working you may need to manually modify some .inf files to have the "stock" NVIDIA display driver work with your card. Here's a decent guide.

For reference, this is your 770M's hardware id string:

Code: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E0&SUBSYS_05AA1462&REV_A1\4&2E95F799&0&0008[/quote]

Spectrum, Oct 3, 2017
  10. axe0 New Member
    Did you have warranty before you swapped the original card?

Why speccy and nvidia can detect the GPU is simple. If the connection of the MB is completely bad, everything will fail to detect the GPU. If the connection is just partly bad, which they assume is the case, depending on where it's bad, speccy and nvidia can still detect the GPU but the GPU may not always work like it should. A partly bad connection can result in driver problems and/or performance/stability problems with the GPU.

11. Etetherin Win User
    @Spectrum Yes i tried Installing the drivers provided at MSI, it did not work. I have not ran Memtest and will do so tonight.

@axe0 No it was not under warranty before i swapped the card out. I only swapped the card out because i knew it was out of warranty.

Will post back with the results of the memtest

Etetherin, Oct 3, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    Good, I was a bit worried you swapped the card whilst you had warranty.

I agree with MSI that it sounds like a bad motherboard.

13. Etetherin Win User

OK, Other than memtest (which I failed to do yesterday, my bad) , is there anything else i really should try before sending it off for new mother board?

Also, could I just buy the replacement motherboard of the same model and put it in myself? Or would that cause some other issues. I know i could in a desktop, and I am confident enough to take it apart and put it back together again. But aside from errors putting it together or buying the wrong part, is there any other stuff that would cause problems in which I should just send it to msi?

Etetherin, Oct 4, 2017
  14. axe0 New Member
    Laptops are completely different from desktop, you need to know how it fits and where it fits.

Something crossing my mind is activation. Most Windows 10 computers are activated with a digital license which is a generated number based off the hardware and stored on Microsoft servers for activation. Windows 10 simply checks if the comparison is good when installing Windows 10. When you replace the motherboard, you technically put together a new system. That is how Microsoft sees it. From the moment you replace the motherboard, put everything back together and start your laptop you will have lost your activation and get problems.

All laptops that come with a preinstalled Windows have an activation table (SLIC table) in their BIOS which is used to reactivate Windows when reinstalling, this is something from before Windows 10. Replacing the motherboard will result in no activation, the new motherboard hasn't been flashed with the SLIC table.
    MSI will, I presume, flash the new motherboard with the SLIC table so you have a new activation for Windows. If they don't you will have to call Microsoft and explain that your previous motherboard was bad so they activate your Windows for you, if I'm correct.

I may be incorrect on some details with activation, but this is how I remember it.

15. Tony K Win User
    Hi there, Etetherin. I've been following this thread all along. I was hoping it wasn't hardware from the start. Sorry to see it turned out to be the MoBo.

So far as repairing it yourself > Depends how confident you are. You've replaced the card in it. Does the lower case come apart easily? Screens are actually the worse to change.

Thing too is that if you have someone else replace it will be warranted for parts and labor. You may also consider purchasing the MoBo yourself then take it to a local computer shop to have it installed.

So far as activation > We've been discussing that here: New motherboard Processor - Windows 10 Forums

If signing in with an MS account there is a digital license tied to your account, therefore it will activate.

Best of luck to you.

Tony K, Oct 4, 2017
Thema:

1. BSOD - Video Card not showing in device manager all the sudden. - Similar Threads - BSOD Video Card

2. Wifi card not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi card not showing up in device manager: I have a laptop that does not recognize the wifi card at all. Its not in device manager>network adapters, i cannot access wifi settings because it thinks there is only ethernet. Ive tried endless lists of solutions with drivers, changing settings, ive been jn the bios, done...
  3. Wifi card not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi card not showing up in device manager: I have a laptop that does not recognize the wifi card at all. Its not in device manager>network adapters, i cannot access wifi settings because it thinks there is only ethernet. Ive tried endless lists of solutions with drivers, changing settings, ive been jn the bios, done...
  4. Wifi card not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. graphic card didnt show in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    graphic card didnt show in device manager: hi3 month ago i bought a tuf dash f15 with core i7 11370h and rtx 3060 but yesterday when i boot it up it shows the nvidia graphic in device manager for a short time but after that it got disapear and in gefource experience it says you didnt have any nvidia graphic card what...
  6. graphic card didnt show in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    graphic card didnt show in device manager: hi3 month ago i bought a tuf dash f15 with core i7 11370h and rtx 3060 but yesterday when i boot it up it shows the nvidia graphic in device manager for a short time but after that it got disapear and in gefource experience it says you didnt have any nvidia graphic card what...
  7. NVIDIA Graphics Card not showing up in device manager.

NVIDIA Graphics Card not showing up in device manager.: I recently purchased an ASUS Laptop with an RTX 3050 TI and for the first day it worked fine, but the drivers on GeForce experience were really outdated so I tried updating them to the latest version, but after that, it disappeared from the device manager and just stopped...
  8. All my graphic cards are not detected by device manager

All my graphic cards are not detected by device manager: I have two graphics cards, intel and amd being the renderer. After downgrading from 20H1 to 1909 all my graphics cards disappeared showing only microsoft basic display, i tried reinstalling the amd driver but the laptop freezes afterwards, went into safe mode to found out the...
  9. Network card not showing in device manager.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network card not showing in device manager.: I recently installed a new network adapter and ever since then I’ve been having issues. Sometimes it shows up in device manager and sometimes it isn’t there. I haven’t been able to access the internet on my pc. I’ve tried everything. Reinstalling drivers, performing a network...
  10. Device manager not showing all devices

Device manager not showing all devices: portable disc drive is not found in device manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/device-manager-not-showing-all-devices/8c0fc3ff-a856-48a1-97bb-b20c106d8bd5