Windows 10: BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR hal.dll+37203 ntoskrnl.exe

Discus and support BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR hal.dll+37203 ntoskrnl.exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Logging in to my desktop takes 5+ minutes... Same with shutting down (versus 5 seconds before). Not sure how to fix this or revert (referring to which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by 1212, Jun 12, 2017.

1. 1212 Win User

BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR hal.dll+37203 ntoskrnl.exe

Logging in to my desktop takes 5+ minutes... Same with shutting down (versus 5 seconds before). Not sure how to fix this or revert (referring to which service makes my pc speed normal). No Bsod but there was one black screen freeze.

Around 12.

Yes but I have no way of backing my files up.

Edit: that last one it wouldn't even shutdown, just went back to welcome and hung for 10 minutes.

2. 1212 Win User

Okay... I managed to enable my internet again, but it won't show the connectivity icon on the taskbar... not sure what I need to reenable for that.

So, with hardly no services running, I got the same error. Seems the logs just blame it on whatever though:

Attachment 141083

Attachment 141091

3. Its not sure that it could be the CPU, but here are a few things I found out:

This is the WHEA summary from the latest bsods, first one is from the full memory dump:
    Code: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE - Cache error - ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 2 Bank 0) memory_corruption - Cache error - ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 3 Bank 0) memory_corruption - Cache error - ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 3 Bank 0) memory_corruption - Cache error - ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 3 Bank 0) memory_corruption - Cache error - ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 2 Bank 0) memory_corruption - Cache error - ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 2 Bank 0)[/quote]
    L0 cache pending between Proc 2 and 3.

Analysis of full memory dmp:
    Code: 0x00000124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (23.06.2017 16:27:01) [Windows 10] CAUSED BY: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE [16.07.2016] WHEA Notify: Machine Check Exception Type: Cache error Error: ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 2 Bank 0) PROCESS: chrome.exe[/quote]
    Code: 2: kd> !tz 0 - ThermalZone @ 0xffffe70ff51d2680 Zone: \_TZ.TZ0 State: Read Flags: 0x00000002 Initialized Mode: Active PendingMode: Active ActivePoint: 0x00000000 PendingActivePoint: 0x00000000 Throttle: 0x00000064 PendingThrottle: 0x00000064 SampleRate: 0x00000000 ThrottleReasons: 0 OverThrottled: 0 ThermalStandby: 0 LastTime: 0x0000000000000000 LastTemp: 0x00000000 (0.0K) PassiveTimer: 0xffffe70ff51d26f0 PassiveDpc: 0xffffe70ff51d2730 Irp: 0xffffe70ff5017800 Device: 0xffffe70ff51efe40 Thermal Info: 0xffffe70ff51d2770[/quote] Code: 2: kd> !tzinfo 0xffffe70ff51d2770 ThermalInfo @ 0xffffe70ff51d2770 Stamp: 0x00000060 Constant1: 0x00000000 Constant2: 0x00000000 Period: 0x00000000 ActiveCnt: 0x00000000 MinThrottle: 0x00000000 OverThrottle: 0x00000000 Current Temperature: 0x00000db8 (351.2K) -> 78,05 °C Passive TripPoint Temperature: 0x00000000 (0.0K) ThermalStandby TripPoint Temperature: 0x00000000 (0.0K) Hibernate TripPoint Temperature: 0x00000000 (0.0K) Critical TripPoint Temperature: 0x00000f5c (393.2K)[/quote]
    The full memory dump show an relatively high temperature of 78 °C. This looks very high. Maybe another expert here can interpret this.

BSODHunter, Jun 25, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

[/quote] This seems a very consistent error to me and I would tend to think it is the CPU. It would be good to try another CPU if it is at all possible. However, I will defer to @axe0 who has much more experience of these errors.

philc43, Jun 25, 2017
  5. axe0 New Member
    @BSODHunter, can you get a copy of the kernel dump online? The link provided by the OP seems to be expired.

6. BSODHunter, Jun 25, 2017
  7. 1212 Win User
    Another 40 crashes later, probably going to be sending it back this week.
    Attachment 141244

8. axe0 New Member

Whilst waiting for the download, I'm going to note a few things.

First thing, the reason why the BSOD was called
    There are multiple similar errors, not all on the same core.
    They all mean pretty much the same, the CPU was fetching instructions to execute when something went wrong.
    I may be wrong, maybe the CPU is faulty and it was fetching improperly, but I do not think that the CPU is the cause.
    IME it happens more often than not that whatever is giving instructions, after the CPU fetch request, is simply providing bad or improper instructions.
    The issue with the 0x124 with a machine check exception, is that we cannot properly find out what gives the bad instructions. Not like with other crashes.
    I've read some posts from experts about a year ago, they also say that the WHEA record is the most informative part and not even a kernel dump can provide all the information required to troubleshoot a WHEA at once.
    Code: Error : ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 3 Bank 0) Error : ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 3 Bank 0) Error : ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 3 Bank 0) Error : ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 2 Bank 0)[/quote]
    @BSODHunter , what you point out about Chrome is a good catch.
    Google Chrome has been known for causing 0x124 crashes in the past, with specific versions. Likely due to the hardware acceleration functionality which can simply be disabled in the settings. Chrome is the process that is the most active at the time of the crash, in 1 out of 13 crashes it is mentioned as the process name. I usually do not use the process name for analysis, because the process name is everytime different, but exceptions are there.

@zbook, your suggestion for stress testing the CPU is excellent. I do note you asked for the result, but if the test passed or not is not enough. Stress tests are not only there to identify if the part is capable of finishing it with success, it is also there to exploit things like temperature issues. With the CPU and GPU (and rarely drives) it is important to note as much information as possible. Intel has a good program which can find problems Prime95 can't, but Prime95 is IMHO better in finding temperature problems.
    Temperature issues can have the result to a bad CPU, better prevent than resolve.
    In this case, the temperature may be an issue. According to the specs of the i7-6700K the max temperature allowed is 64C, according to the kernel dump and as BSODHunter already pointed out it reaches nearly 80C.
    This is the reason why you best request as much as possible information through photos and screenshots.

@1212 , we'll need to know all your system specs, mainly what cooling you're using.
    It looks like your system is not being cooled well enough.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.
    The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'. After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.

BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR hal.dll+37203 ntoskrnl.exe [​IMG]

BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR hal.dll+37203 ntoskrnl.exe [​IMG]

9. 1212 Win User
    Chrome has nothing to do with it. If it points to Chrome, it's because that was the only application open. Sometimes it'll say Opera, Firefox, whatever browser I'm using.

Attachment 141299

Specs:
    Attachment 141300
    PSU, per it being a laptop, is 100-240v & 19.5v output. Cooling system I don't know, but I've gotten frequent crashes even with it cool (though at rarer intervals).

Something I hadn't noticed before: while I pass Prim's torture tests with no issues, I did notice the CPU temps spike drastically, which is something I wasn't monitoring before.

Attachment 141266

10. axe0 New Member
    I don't want to argue, but whether it is randomness or something that keeps occuring, if any pattern is there, like in your case Chrome, it has something to do with it.
    I mentioned that Chrome is present in the dumps, because it is the process that was last active before the crash occured. If it may or may not be related, is yet to be proven.

Could you please provide the specs in the way it was requested, that way we could see it below every post of yours instead of a single post making troubleshooting a lot easier *Smile

11. zbook New Member
    The intel process diagnostic tool (IPDT) keeps logs of every time it has been used.
    Make a fresh boot and open safe mode. If possible run IPDT. Then post the IPDT logs.
    Maybe there is useful information on the temperatures recorded.

The attachments in post #39 Attachment 141260
    Attachment 141261display:
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

zbook, Jun 25, 2017
  12. Is there any news or did you fix the problem?

BSODHunter, Jul 10, 2017
  13. 1212 Win User

It was the CPU. I replaced it. Been working fine now since, five months later.

14. philc43 Win User
    Thanks for the feedback - very glad you got it sorted!

philc43, Jan 28, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    It was an interesting presentation.
    We are glad that it is working well.

zbook, Jan 28, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR hal.dll+37203 ntoskrnl.exe - Similar Threads - BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR hal

2. ntoskrnl bsod

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ntoskrnl bsod: My pc has been bsod-ing for 2-3 years now and i recently decided to try and fix it. I use bluescreen view and always see that the bsods are always caused by ntoskrnl.exe. heres all of the stuff ive to try and fix it.Used 1 8gb ram stick at a timeused different ram slotsused...
  3. ntoskrnl BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ntoskrnl BSOD: Hello, I have quite a persistent problem here.I often get BSOD or straight out system restarts the latter don't have any trace in minidump. In the past few days, they were too recurrent and got to a point where I had to reinstall Windows because my laptop actually got slowed...
  4. ntoskrnl BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ntoskrnl BSOD: Hello, I have quite a persistent problem here.I often get BSOD or straight out system restarts the latter don't have any trace in minidump. In the past few days, they were too recurrent and got to a point where I had to reinstall Windows because my laptop actually got slowed...
  5. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: KUKutter_UKFirstly, I would like to say that I am posting this again because after having an instant reply from an 'Andrew', and posting my dmp files as requested on July 24th I haven't heard anything back since! I have responded a couple of times but nothing is happening to...
  6. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: Hi there, My new machine around 8 months old now runs perfectly most of the time. Uptime 3 - 6 weeks at a time. NO issues at all - I am a heavy PC user: Gaming, Audio Work and some 3D modelling, so my machine goes through its paces.Every now and then on boot, I get the error...
  7. Ntoskrnl BSOD

Ntoskrnl BSOD: Hello, Any ideas how I can stop ntoskrnl.exe of causing blue screens? It happens every few days while I am playing games on steam Here are my dumps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E7Kwdh1341_R2psC5NVUoETVBtqC_QlP/view?usp=sharing...
  8. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  9. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...
  10. Bsod ntoskrnl

Bsod ntoskrnl: Hi guys, Any help would be massively appreciated. My computer is BSOD at least two times a day. As far as I can tell, all drivers are up to date including Nvidia. Could somebody take a look at the attached and let me know if you find anything? I've ran a system check...