Windows 10: BSOD when doing nothing else than browsing

Discus and support BSOD when doing nothing else than browsing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Two BSODs, once today, once yesterday. No other applications running than browsers, doing nothing else than browsing. The only common factor in these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kari, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Kari Win User

BSOD when doing nothing else than browsing

Two BSODs, once today, once yesterday. No other applications running than browsers, doing nothing else than browsing. The only common factor in these two BSODs is that yesterday I was uploading big file (3.5 GB) to my OneDrive when it happened, today downloading another big file (a movie, about 5 GB) from my OneDrive.

Both times, the laptop's own screen and an external display I am using started to flicker, then went black only showing the pointer. This continues about a minute, then I get the BSOD notification, and finally machine reboots.

The DM Log Collector file is attached.

:)

2. BSOD Memory_Management Windows 10 Pro

Nope, there was nothing else blamed.

Unless it isn't a hardware error the BSODs shouldn't haunt again, and even if they do please post back so that we can assist.

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Can connect to Microsoft Edge for internet browsing but nothing else?!

Hello Ces,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

We understand the frustration when things don't go the way they are supposed to. Let me help you to resolve the issue this time.

Follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

Follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter to check if it can identify the cause of the issue and also possibly fix it.

a) Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b) Click on Troubleshooting
    tab.

c) Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d) Select the Internet connections option from the list.

e) Click Next to run the Troubleshooter.

Method 2

If the above still does not help, I suggest you to reconfigure/reinstall the network adapter drivers as it helps to resolve most of the common network related issues.

Check for Windows update to look for latest drivers through Device Manager settings for devices installed in your computer.

Refer to the below Microsoft Help Article on Install and Update drivers in Windows 10, written by one of our MVPs,
    Andre da Costa.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Additionally, I would also suggest you to refer to the manufacturer/computer assembler's website to look for updated drivers for your network adapter device.

Write to us with the updated information for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 18, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

Kari, I'm going to see if someone else can help you. I can't read the dump files, which is not so uncommon anymore. I suspect it is because you are running 10547. Microsoft doesn't always release binaries for Insider builds.

I am seeing errors for your internal graphics, but I suspect it may be a victim not a cause. I see errors for your vm in vmwp.exe which is a virtualization error. The most common error is DWM.exe.

The debugger named mssmbios.sys for your last 2 dumps, but also said the symbols are wrong, so I don't trust that. That is the System Management BIOS driver for what it's worth.

Have you run sfc and DISM? If not, try that and see.

essenbe, Oct 18, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    Thanks Steve.

I believe this is an Nvidia driver issue, hoping it would resolve when going to build 10565. I have had my reasons to delay the build upgrade on this laptop, I will do a clean install of 10565 this week. Anyway, would be nice to know what is causing these BSODs when I am doing nothing special when they occur.

6. essenbe Win User
    Kari, please monitor your CPU and GPU temps too. If you need some software, I can give you some suggestions. The activities you describe don't tend to put any strain on the GPU, but we know anything is possible. We can disable one or the other and see how it works. The Nvidia control panel allows you to set the primary graphics adaptor to which one you want to use. Optimus technology is designed to use your internal graphics until demands are increased for graphics, then it will switch to your dedicated Nvidia card. The switch is when the problem usually happens. So, often if we can stop it from switching, much of the problem is eliminated. Switching to the Nvidia card will give you a big hit on your battery life though.

Look in Device Manager at your graphics adapters and see what it says. It should name the 2 Adapters.

essenbe, Oct 18, 2015
  7. axe0 New Member
    Hi Kari,

You are likely correct about the cause, all of the crashes have a thing common: caused by a driver.
    As the most recent ones are 0x119(VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR) it is pretty clear the GPU drivers are causing issues.
    Unfortunately, because the dumps are not loading properly, I cannot determine which driver exactly is causing issues.

I would recommend trying a clean install of the drivers

8. Kari Win User

Temps are OK, for a laptop:
    Attachment 43506

This clearly is a GPU issue, I hope you get me correctly when I say that I am not very interested to solve this issue in the current build 10547 because I will in any case do a clean install of build 10565 later this week. However, I would be very pleased to know the exact driver or other cause behind this issue.

9. axe0 New Member
    Of course I get you correct *Wink

I just hope that when I'm home I get clearer results from the dumps.

10. axe0 New Member
    Unfortunately as expected, no information about a specific driver *Sad

11. Kari Win User
    Something positive, at least this BSOD helped me to make a video for other users wanting to know how to get help in BSOD issues *Smile

[youtube]9VoSa7654Po[/youtube]

12. Cliff S New Member
    Another good one from The Finn!!!*Biggrin

Cliff S, Oct 18, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

I've been getting frequent blue screens when browsing (particularly with Edge) since the latest build was released as well. The fault is always KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

NVidia just came out with a new driver, which I installed last night in the hopes it helps. We'll see.

Mystere, Oct 18, 2015
  14. Kari Win User
    An update: An hour ago again a BSOD. The same common factor, I had just started to download two huge ISO files from OneDrive. Again both displays started to flicker, then went black (pointer was visible and movable), followed by BSOD.

I have several 1 TB OneDrives using different MS account emails thanks to O365 subscriptions. I use multiple browsers to stay connected and signed in to various OneDrives because from one browser I can stay signed in only with one MS account at the time. Works for me, I know that if I need to upload something to OneDrive X or download something from there, I need to use IE, for OneDrive Z Chrome and so on. My main browser Maxthon as well as the OneDrive folders on my PC are using the OneDrive of my main MS account.

These BSODs have the common nominator OneDrive on Chrome; each BSOD has happened when I have either uploaded or downloaded something using Chrome.

15. axe0 New Member
    I recommend to remove Google Chrome, it is causing various of issues for many users.

Thema:

1. BSOD when doing nothing else than browsing - Similar Threads - BSOD doing nothing

2. One program, nothing else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One program, nothing else: I have a charity who bought a new windows 11 laptop. I want to set up a log in profile that will open only 1 program on startup and restrict the user to that program only. Nothing else at all.Is this possible?...
  3. One program, nothing else

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One program, nothing else: I have a charity who bought a new windows 11 laptop. I want to set up a log in profile that will open only 1 program on startup and restrict the user to that program only. Nothing else at all.Is this possible?...
  4. I keep getting BSOD when doing absolutely nothing!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I keep getting BSOD when doing absolutely nothing!: Its took me 3 days to finally get to a point where it creates a dump file, ive spent hours trying to work out what it could be, however i now have a dump file, but i dont know what im reading! Only thing ive picked out of the dump through windows debugger is svchost.exe can...
  5. Nothing happens when I click 'browse' button.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nothing happens when I click 'browse' button.: Whenever I click 'browse' button to open a file or to save one it does nothing. I tried SFC and DISM commands and nothing achieved. I'm sure there is a problem with a 'dll' file in the system32 directory, however, I cannot locate it as I don't know what its name is. Any help...
  6. BSODs - mostly when browsing or idling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSODs - mostly when browsing or idling: For around the past month I've been getting random BSODs with different crash codes. They usually happen when browsing the internet or when idle with seemingly no common factor. No BSODs during gaming yet and temps are fine. I've put the different crash codes along with the...
  7. Random BSODs when browsing

Random BSODs when browsing: Hi all, I keep getting random intermittent BSODs when browsing using Chrome or Firefox, and this happens more frequently when I'm using YouTube. I have two MEMORY.dmp files uploaded to my OneDrive here, please let me know if you need any other info: Microsoft OneDrive -...
  8. BSOD random, in particular when browsing

BSOD random, in particular when browsing: Hello ! , I have been getting bsods ever since I built my desktop and it has been annoying me a lot. I tryed to reinstall windows 10 a lot of time, but it is still happening. I attached the mini dump zips below. Please have a look at it and tell me if u see any problem, it...
  9. BSOD while not doing anything and browsing

BSOD while not doing anything and browsing: Hi, I have been experiencing BSODs many times in a day. It's started a few days ago. I don't understand why it's occurring to my PC. It happens when I browse and it also happens when I do nothing just keeping the PC on and going out for awhile and after I return, I see it...
  10. BSOD when only browsing

BSOD when only browsing: Hi, (First of all sorry for my poor English, because as you`ll find out I`m not a native speaker *Smile ) Since 21 march I had at least 1 BSOD per day, but today I have had at least 6 of them ... So after let`s say 10 minutes of only browsing (Firefox (45.0.1) x86) and...