Windows 10: BSODs at random times (no particular program used)

Discus and support BSODs at random times (no particular program used) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; At this time this is the information that is available ....please make any corrections: 1) after the bsod(s) there were no minidump files on the zip... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CaliByWayOfKS, Jul 6, 2017.

1. zbook New Member

BSODs at random times (no particular program used)

At this time this is the information that is available ....please make any corrections:
    1) after the bsod(s) there were no minidump files on the zip log
    2) the who crashed test confirms that you are now setup to save bsod mini dump files.
    3) there was corruption on the drive.
    4) drive smart tests are needed and we have not yet figured out why HD tune, crystal disk, and HD sentinel all incapable of testing your drive in the current computer environment.
    5) the dell bios has no diagnostic studies to run
    6) the operating system is up to date and the tests display no integrity violations
    7) you have made a back up image with Macrium
    8) you have made a brand new restore point

zbook, Jul 7, 2017
  2. zbook New Member

Please confirm that you have a SSD. Is it the the original drive on the computer?
    Approximately how old is the drive?
    There are 2 recovery partitions.
    How come the second one is nearly 12 GB?
    If there are any new bsod please post a new zip: BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
    With you drive being a Samsung product see what happens with the Samsung magician software: Tool & Software | Download | Samsung V-NAND SSD
    Are you using hardware or software RAID?

zbook, Jul 7, 2017
  3. All of that is correct to date yes.

CaliByWayOfKS, Jul 7, 2017
  4. BSODs at random times (no particular program used)

The Samsung 951 M.2 SSD is the original drive that was in the XPS when it arrived from Dell.

Got the computer in June of 2016, so the drive should be the same.

As for why there are 2 recovery partitions I don't know. That was how it came stock from Dell. Also don't know why one is small and the other large (12GB).

If there are any new BSOD here I will start the process over with a new zip and reply to this thread.

I downloaded the Samsung Magician software and attempted to use it, but when I did I got the image below. Was shocked to see that listed so I did some searching and found that Samsung doesn't support my M.2 drive through Magician due to be it OEM and installed by the computer manufacturer. That boggles my mind, but found that on samsung forums and a number of others.

I am not using hardware or software RAID.

5. Thought found something that would run the S.M.A.R.T. test (userbenchmark) as it mentioned that was part of the test. However when I run it that isn't an option that shows up in the results. After clicking the drive it self on there for results it listed others that have tested the drive and they also didn't have the S.M.A.R.T. test result pull down that when I searched other drives made by Samsung they did have them listed and even allowed me to review other peoples tests.

Not sure why Samsung won't allow my particular M.2 SSD to be S.M.A.R.T. test supported, but it appears that I'm out of luck on that end.

Here is a forum post from this board that references the same unfortunately.

Samsung Magician

6. Well it happened again... I opened "WhoCrashed" and this is what I got... appears whatever error this is it won't actually create anything.

From some of the previous steps in the process it didn't auto restart (in fact after leaving it on the BSOD it stayed at 0% for over 30 min) so I just hit the power button to restart it as it appeared it wasn't going to do anything. The second image is the BSOD that I was finally able to capture.

I have also attached the new BSOD zip file.

There appears to be a folder called "TFdebugFiles" on my desktop as well, but I'm not sure what that is.

CaliByWayOfKS, Jul 10, 2017
  7. Can you provide us with the kernel memory dump please? Its located in C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.
    You can upload it to an cloud service like dropbox or onedrive.

BSODHunter, Jul 10, 2017
  8. BSODs at random times (no particular program used)

A friend has suggested that I just scrap everything and start a new fresh copy of Windows 10 from the recovery partition and keep it disconnected from the internet while I install the new anniversary edition copy of windows and then turn off Windows 10's ability to update anything other than Windows and slowly reinstall drivers to the graphics and network and then turn back on the Windows 10 ability to download drivers for all things and stop using Dell's driver assistant.

He mentioned that he read on a forum (he couldn't remember where) that said not installing the Intel Rapid driver and the Intel Management Engine driver seemed to fix this issue (mentioned they needed to be reinstalled, but that as long as you install them after upgrading to the Anniversary Edition then you won't have any problems).

The above makes no real sense to me as to why that would be my issue, but figured I'd see if anyone else had any thoughts perhaps.

9. Naturally I don't see a Memory.dmp file within the Windows folder itself.

I do know that was one of the settings that was set up earlier when I was doing the 8 steps zbook had posted, so I'm not sure why computer didn't create one.

10. Just noticed something while I was perusing the BIOS settings, under System Configuration -> SATA Operation -> It actually had "RAID On" selected and not AHCI.

Earlier I didn't believe there was any RAID (hardware or software) was on, but it appears it is on by default on my dell xps. Not sure if that is because of the PM951 M.2 SSD or what. Since I never chose that setting I wouldn't have figured it would be a default setting.

Apologizes about that, this may change some thoughts or etc in ref to troubleshooting.

11. zbook New Member
    Please post an image into the thread.

zbook, Jul 11, 2017
  12. Here are some images from the BIOS, not sure if the two images about Intel Speed Step and Intel Turbo Boost should be included or not, but I went ahead and did.

There is a "SMART Reporting" tab as well and it's included as well. Perhaps this why my drive isn't being recognized by any program?

CaliByWayOfKS, Jul 11, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

With file explorer search for *.dmp or %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
    Using one drive or drop box post a share link into the thread.
    After fixing the corruption on the drive, not being able to evaluate the drive with multiple software programs remains a puzzle.

zbook, Jul 12, 2017
  14. Yeah I've looked for that particular file and there isn't one called "memory.dmp" anywhere on the the system root drive.

CaliByWayOfKS, Jul 12, 2017
  15. zbook New Member
    download and install everything: voidtools
    It will index your internal and external drives.
    It can be set to start on boot or when you need it.
    When you search enter a character and you will see instantaneous results.
    The more characters the narrower the search results.

enter memory and see what appears.
    enter *.dmp and see what appears.
    enter *.dump and see what appears.

Please post images of the search results into the thread.

zbook, Jul 12, 2017
Thema:

1. BSODs at random times (no particular program used) - Similar Threads - BSODs random times

2. BSOD at random times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD at random times: Hello, I have a user that is getting the BSOD randomly we cannot determine a pattern I have included a link to the minidump file from the most recent incident. Graphics drivers are up to date, ran sfc /scannow, ran troubleshooters, Windows is completely up to date, ran and...
  3. BSOD at random times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD at random times: Hello, I have a user that is getting the BSOD randomly we cannot determine a pattern I have included a link to the minidump file from the most recent incident. Graphics drivers are up to date, ran sfc /scannow, ran troubleshooters, Windows is completely up to date, ran and...
  4. BSOD at random times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD at random times: In the past few weeks I've received a couple of BSODs during seemingly unrelated activities. One was triggered during the shut down process MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. The other triggered randomly during a gaming session IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. BlueScreenView info and google searches...
  5. BSOD in random time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD in random time: Hi, please help, I get a bsod regardless of the load on the PC, the bios is the latest drivers updated I do not understand what the problem is and what to look for, here are mini-dumps: google...
  6. BSOD at random times

BSOD at random times: Source Windows Summary Shut down unexpectedly Date ‎29/‎10/‎2019 00:18 Status Not reported Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen Code: 1000007e Parameter 1: ffffffffc0000005 Parameter 2: fffff8062a532646 Parameter 3: ffffe5814d3bf638 Parameter 4:...
  7. BSOD random, in particular when browsing

BSOD random, in particular when browsing: Hello ! , I have been getting bsods ever since I built my desktop and it has been annoying me a lot. I tryed to reinstall windows 10 a lot of time, but it is still happening. I attached the mini dump zips below. Please have a look at it and tell me if u see any problem, it...
  8. bsod screen at random times during use

bsod screen at random times during use: My pc was bumped over on its side several days ago and now it is giving me bsod randomly at times. My temperatures are good on both my cpu and gpu. I ran windows disk checks on both SSD's and also a memory check which all reported good. The bsod screens seem to be completely...
  9. Random BSOD in random times

Random BSOD in random times: Hi, I'm really hoping to solve the problem since it's starting to distract seriously. I think since early summer BSODs been flashing now and then and now more and more often. Naturally I've tried memory solutions found online for memory related BSODs but now the different...
  10. BSOD at random times while using PC

BSOD at random times while using PC: I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 home last week. However, today, while I was playing with my PS4, my PC randomly got 2 BSOD with in 3 minutes time frame. I was not using my PC. It was turned on, idling. After the first BSOD, the PC restarted and within 3 min another...