Windows 10: BSODs happening after Windows updates

Discus and support BSODs happening after Windows updates in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been having BSODs connected to ntoskrnl.exe for a while now. I've tried so many things to make them stop before finally just....wanting to dump... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Snapdragoon, Jul 17, 2018.

1. BSODs happening after Windows updates

I've been having BSODs connected to ntoskrnl.exe for a while now. I've tried so many things to make them stop before finally just....wanting to dump all of this here in the forums.

- Most frequently happens while using a web browser, usually right when I click something.
    - Has happened once or twice while using Photoshop, and at least once while nothing is up, but not recently.

My suspicions are a driver conflict, as these BSODs tend to start up or get worse in the weeks following a Windows update. I'm not sure if it's the graphics driver, or what. I have no clue how to find out. This has been going on for the better part of a year now. I've done so much research, tried so many checks and solutions.

I am operating on a new hard drive and newly-bought copy of windows 10 (as of May this year). I had similar problems beforehand, though. At one point, updating the graphics driver fixed it for a few weeks, but then windows updated and I started getting blue screens again. That was a while ago, before the new HDD/OS.

After installing the new HDD and OS, there immediately was a problem with Windows Updates not completing, but that was it. I contacted Windows support about this, and they took control of my laptop and did some things, hid the update, then told me not to worry about it. I didn't. It didn't affect my daily operation.

At some point, I started getting pop-ups while using a corded USB mouse or a graphics tablet (I never have them plugged in at the same time because the mouse affects the tablet's operation) and those pop-ups read "USB device not recognized". It concerned me, but it did nothing to affect the operation of my tablet or mouse. I don't know if it's related at all. Probably is, nothing happens without a reason.

The July windows update happened, and it's the first windows update to actually install. That's when things started getting real funky. It automatically did a disk check when I started up my computer a couple mornings afterwards, said it repaired things, no clue what or why - this is a new HDD so I would hope it's not damaged. I haven't had problems with it until this update.

And then? The crashes started happening again. Blue screens tell me ntoskrnl.exe and fltmanager are responsible. System Service Exceptions and such. I can probably find and post the dumps if someone told me how, I cannot make heads or tails of this stuff myself. I do have BlueScreenViewer, but it's all gibberish to me.

This is an eight year old computer. Trust me when I say that it is currently NOT financially in the cards to replace it, and if I can't use it effectively for my work, that's pretty bad. Things go wrong when Windows updates. I suspect that windows is responsible, because the computer works very nicely until a new update installs. It seems very likely to my not-tech-knowledgable mind that the old laptop drivers don't like the new Windows OS drivers.

I don't suspect the hardware, I've run memory checks and disk checks and they seem to check out. Perhaps the USB hardware is somewhat suspect. I don't know anything about it though. I think the CPU might be okay because the laptop was not having BSODs while Windows wasn't updating. It is old, though, who knows. I'd like to absolutely rule out driver issues first, because there's not much I can do to get a new laptop or computer right now.

I do have a restore point from when I first installed the new HDD and OS. I suppose I could always go back to that and disable windows update? I'd rather leave that as a last resort, though. I don't know what the best thing to do is, I can't have BSODs constantly interrupting me and giving me panic attacks. I dread updates now because they always bring trouble.

I'm sorry this is such a wall of text, but I don't know how better to explain all this since it's been going on for a while. If you have any specific questions about what I'm doing, or my computer, I think I should be able to answer them.

:)

Snapdragoon, Jul 17, 2018
  2. Knoxx29 Win User

Windows Update (BSOD)

Hi Guys.
    I have Built a Machine for Crunching a few days ago and I have some issues with Windows Update.

I have installed all Windows Updates but there are around 9 left without been installed becasue everytime i try to install it the Machine Crash and I get a BSOD, can someone tell me what could be causing that Windows Updates makes a Machine crash and get BSOD?

Cheers.

Knoxx29, Jul 17, 2018
  3. Knoxx29 Win User
    Knoxx29, Jul 17, 2018
  4. 3Colors Win User

BSODs happening after Windows updates

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond BSODs happening after Windows updates :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 17, 2018
Thema:

BSODs happening after Windows updates

1. BSODs happening after Windows updates - Similar Threads - BSODs happening updates

2. BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows and update my drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows and update my drivers: After preforming a clean install of Windows 11.I received a Blue Screen of Death with a Stop code of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL This occurred within minutes of the clean install completing and sitting at the desktop...
  3. BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows and update my drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows and update my drivers: After preforming a clean install of Windows 11.I received a Blue Screen of Death with a Stop code of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL This occurred within minutes of the clean install completing and sitting at the desktop...
  4. BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows and update my drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows and update my drivers: After preforming a clean install of Windows 11.I received a Blue Screen of Death with a Stop code of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL This occurred within minutes of the clean install completing and sitting at the desktop screen.I lost my multiple dump files after clean installand this...
  5. BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows and update my drivers

BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows and update my drivers: After preforming a clean install of Windows 11.I received a Blue Screen of Death with a Stop code of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL This occurred within minutes of the clean install completing and sitting at the desktop screen.I lost my multiple dump files after clean installand this...
  6. BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows

BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows: After preforming a clean install of Windows 11.I received a Blue Screen of Death with a Stop code of KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. This occurred within minutes of the clean install completing and sitting at the desktop screen....
  7. This happened after updating to 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This happened after updating to 2004: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/dswapper [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hoarq2/this_happened_after_updating_to_2004/
  8. After the automatic windows update, this happens

in Windows 10 Support
    After the automatic windows update, this happens: I didnt find anything related to this error in my native language so I apologize if this is already a known issue. After win update ran a check on my system, it came back with the windows black screen with a blue windows and tiny dots meaning its loading and then it all stops...
  9. It all happened after the update.

in Cortana
    It all happened after the update.: [ATTACH] ONENOTE.EXE - Application Error I logged n then this message is appearing. I am not able to use the search bar and cortana and the start menu. please help. its urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  10. BSODs happening after Windows updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODs happening after Windows updates: I've been having BSODs connected to ntoskrnl.exe for a while now. I've tried so many things to make them stop before finally just....wanting to dump all of this here in the forums. - Most frequently happens while using a web browser, usually right when I click something. -...