Windows 10: BT users in UK beware -- IPV6 addresses being tested

Discus and support BT users in UK beware -- IPV6 addresses being tested in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there. knowing how bad large corporations are in testing and roiling out software - especially with the amount of Offshoring and lack of QC done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jul 9, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

BT users in UK beware -- IPV6 addresses being tested

Hi there.

knowing how bad large corporations are in testing and roiling out software - especially with the amount of Offshoring and lack of QC done "in the name of Cost reductions" I expect to see these Forums being filled with howls of anguish from BT users when they find they can't access some sites (or possibly any) soon.

If they are anything like the Banks --woe betide any users of BT braodband !!!!

BT runs trial of IPv6 addressing system - BBC News

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 9, 2015
  2. Entegy Win User

Presence Of IPv6 Ready Logo In Lumia & Nokia XL smartphone Packages

test-ipv6.com will tell you the IPv6 address of the device as the IPv6 address is not exposed anywhere in the OS, only IPv4 address is.

Entegy, Jul 9, 2015
  3. viking666 Win User
    Homegroup not working

Robert,

To confirm, the BT HomeHub 4 (now superseded by the 5 model, which has the modem built in to it) does not specifically support IPv6, but mentions it several times) and its firmware web pages display information such as:

IPv6 Status:

IPv6 Hub Status: Disabled

IPv6 Network Status: Disabled

“IPv6 will be disabled on your BT Home Hub and BT Broadband Network until supported by future services....”

and

IPv6 LAN Configuration

Hub IPv6 Address

Name:
    BThomehub.home

Global Unicast Address:
    Not available

Link Local Address:
    fe80::ce33:bbff:fe42:e9dc

Global Unicast prefix / length:
    Not available

ULA

Enabled: Option: Yes (Recommended) or No

Reset IP settings back to default

Apply or Cancel

So as you say, presumably there must be a way that a connection is created that allows the routing of local IPv6 but doesn't go all the way to the modem (or at least lets it come back unaffected).

I have three spare routers but all three are other people’s cast-offs and, as such, are probably out of date. I could certainly switch off DHCP and attach the eight-port switch to it and see what happens but it might be best for me to try BT’s forums
    first, as their routers must be among the most widely used in the UK.

On other matters, I am not familiar with Teredo and ISATAP as I am simply an end-user senior who was in the mix at DOS 3.1. Running the script that you mentioned simply returns three default-setting responses.

It is frustrating that all of these problems have resulted from recent updates (at least, as far as I can tell, as networking certainly worked without problems prior to 10586.36 and/or 10586.63, which themselves seem to have aggravated the situation).
    Microsoft must be aware, as thousands of other users must have identical problems. Let’s hope they somehow manage to fix it very soon.

Thanks again for your help.

V

viking666, Jul 9, 2015
  4. z3r010 Win User

It wont make any difference, all that will happen is IPv4's will be resolved through some sort if IPv4 tunnel or gateway.

z3r010, Jul 9, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

sounds OK but my experience with BT isn't the best -- I switched to SKY while in the UK -- never had any problem with it and it's cheap.

I agree though this sort of stuff should have been tested ages ago rather than being forced to roll it out because the addresses are all used up.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 9, 2015
  6. z3r010 Win User
    BT customer service is almost the worst, but that falls to Sky who couldn't even get my broadband on the correct phone line despite many assurances and hours on the phone line *Zip

z3r010, Jul 9, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think they are ALL bad as far as customer service is concerned -- I have some colleagues who have Virgin Media and you wouldn't want to hear what they think of customer service either.

I just chose who gave me the best deal --fortunately no probs with connections etc -- just the annoying part in UK of being blocked from various "sites" - but easy enough to get around.

The best customer service appears to be from smaller operators -- energy providers -- for example.
    I use OVO for example but they aren't always available in some areas. Same with broadband. I hear Talk-Talk *might be* reasonable but they aren't available where I am.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BT users in UK beware -- IPV6 addresses being tested - Similar Threads - users beware IPV6

2. Microsoft UK CEO email address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft UK CEO email address: I need to send an email to the MS UK CEO, but the address provided *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is not "deliverable". Does anyone have the correct, up-to-date address, please?...
  3. Microsoft UK CEO email address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft UK CEO email address: I need to send an email to the MS UK CEO, but the address provided *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is not "deliverable". Does anyone have the correct, up-to-date address, please?...
  4. Are we being spied on in the uk

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Are we being spied on in the uk: Well worth a watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GC9i6WDaVY 175822
  5. Users Who Post In The Community BEWARE!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Users Who Post In The Community BEWARE!: Guys Beware About What You Post Because Today I Found A Website That Copys The Question You Just Asked And Any Question Related To It. I May Know A Lot A Lot About Tech But I Dont Know How They Are Doing This But Dont Put Any Personal Info The Website is flagged by...
  6. Temporary IPv6 Address Creation and logging

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary IPv6 Address Creation and logging: I have seen wide differences in the way some hosts create their temporary IPv6 addresses. Some only have a few, while some have hundreds. This leads me to trying to find the answers to several questions, which so far have eluded me. I am aware that this feature can be...
  7. Windows 10 no IPv6 address on boot

Windows 10 no IPv6 address on boot: Hello everyone. I have found on my home and office ipv6 SLAAC enabled networks, Windows 10 computers frequently fails to self-configure IPv6 addresses when boot up. Toggling wifi off/on via the lower right wifi icon does not solve the problem. However, if I go into Control...
  8. Browsers Fail IPv6 Tests

Browsers Fail IPv6 Tests: Running Windows 10 Version 1903. Network Properties shows that the system has both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Other, non-Windows devices on network (e.g., Xbox One X) successfully pass tests like https://test-ipv6.com. Cannot get Chrome to pass the test at all ("No IPv6...
  9. Unable to get ipv6 address

Unable to get ipv6 address: I have problem with ipv6 connectivity.I have 2 different OS on the same machine, but only ubuntu can access ipv6. On win10, it seems that the ipv6 address cannot be assigned to the OS. I can only get one fe80: gateway. Another win10 device can get ipv6 address through the...
  10. Happy UK user

in Windows 10 Support
    Happy UK user: Just want to say thanks to all help on this great site I've managed to install win 10 home on laptop and PC Both activated, no windows issues at all. Made the DVD from the ISO via creation tool Best of Luck to you all 10784