Windows 10: Bug: Notifications Remnants & Defender Off After Antivirus Uninstall

Discus and support Bug: Notifications Remnants & Defender Off After Antivirus Uninstall in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This seems like a bug or, at least, messy leftovers. I uninstalled Bitdefender Antivirus but it is still showing up in the list of apps to show... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Nus, Jul 27, 2015.

1. NUS
    Nus Win User

Bug: Notifications Remnants & Defender Off After Antivirus Uninstall

This seems like a bug or, at least, messy leftovers.

I uninstalled Bitdefender Antivirus but it is still showing up in the list of apps to show notifications for.

Bug: Notifications Remnants & Defender Off After Antivirus Uninstall [​IMG]

The Windows Defender services have not started back up either and the settings page is greyed out.

Bug: Notifications Remnants & Defender Off After Antivirus Uninstall [​IMG]

I'm not worried about Windows Defender, I expect I can get it running if I wanted to, just thought I'd point this out.

I would like to get rid of Bitdefender in the notifications list though. Anyone know of a safe registry hack for this?

:)

2. WindowsOS Win User

slojoe

Windows Defender will not turn on if you have another antivirus installed or if you had an antivirus installed and you uninstalled it and there are still some remnants of it left on you're PC. More often than not when you uninstall a program the
    normal uninstaller does not remove All traces of that program!

WindowsOS, Jul 27, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Security updates

Turning off AVG is not sufficient. You actually need to fully uninstall AVG and then run its removal tool to prevent trouble causing remnants. Windows 10 has Windows Defender which an excellent antivirus with superior compatibility. The new Fall Creators
    Edition adds Exploits, Controlled Folder, access and more. And you lose all of that if WD is off.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jul 27, 2015
  4. AlanWade Win User

AlanWade, Jul 27, 2015
  5. NUS
    Nus Win User
    I did the Uninstall via the Programs and Features applet.

There doesn't seem to be a tool, in that link, for the free version; just trial and paid.

6. AlanWade Win User
    Use the Trial version link.

AlanWade, Jul 27, 2015
  7. NUS
    Nus Win User
    It seems like the links for all the Bitdefender products point to the same uninstall tool. The version I had wasn't listed but I ran the tool anyway. Unfortunately there is no change, Bitdefender's still in the notification list, Windows Defender is not running and the settings are still greyed out.

8. NUS
    Nus Win User

It occurred to me that I uninstalled Bitdefender under the buggy KB3074681 update, so that may have been the cause of the issue.

I installed Bitdefender again but to another location. This gave a second Bitdefender entry in the notifications list. I uninstalled it and the second notification entry went as well.

So, I installed Bitdefender for a third time. I installed it to the original location of the first install. No additional entry appeared in the notifications list. I then uninstalled it and low and behold... it's still in the notifications list. Grrr...

I removed all plain text references to Bitdefender from the registry but to no effect.

I suspect this annoying remnant is due to the buggy KB3074681 update.

If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Thema:

1. Bug: Notifications Remnants & Defender Off After Antivirus Uninstall - Similar Threads - Bug Notifications Remnants

2. Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off: I don't have the option to enable Microsoft Defender Antivirus in my Windows Security settings.I've poked around on the internet and nothing has yielded results. I've gone through and given it a scan with Malwarebytes, made sure that security settings are enabled in the...
  3. Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off: I don't have the option to enable Microsoft Defender Antivirus in my Windows Security settings.I've poked around on the internet and nothing has yielded results. I've gone through and given it a scan with Malwarebytes, made sure that security settings are enabled in the...
  4. Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Defender antivirus is switched off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender antivirus is switched off: I have removed other 3rd party security software and wished to just have the MS security. Windows firewall is on but the MS Defender Antivirus is switched off. How can I switch this on?...
  6. Uninstalled Windows Defender Antivirus

Uninstalled Windows Defender Antivirus: My windows defender antivirus got accidentally uninstalled, a week had passed before I was able to notice it, can I reinstall my windows defender antivirus back? Do I have to install a new version? Do I have to pay for it or is it free? Is it safe to download this program...
  7. Windows Defender Antivirus won't Turn on after Uninstalling McAfee

Windows Defender Antivirus won't Turn on after Uninstalling McAfee: I uninstalled my antivirus software which is mcafee live safe and Windows defender antivirus did not become active automatically. I can't find a way to re enable it. [ATTACH] [Original Title: Windows Defender Antivirus]...
  8. Windows defender antivirus and AVG Antivirus are both turned off.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender antivirus and AVG Antivirus are both turned off.: I just got a notifications that says "Windows defender antivirus and AVG Antivirus are both turned off. " When I go into Virus & threat protection its says that my virus and threat protection is managed by my organization. Which is not possible cause its my pc at home which...
  9. Windows 10: Uninstalled McAfee AntiVirus but Defender Antivirus will not turn on

Windows 10: Uninstalled McAfee AntiVirus but Defender Antivirus will not turn on: After uninstalling McAfee, Windows Defender would not turn on. I've tried to restart the service but get the following error: Error 577: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is...
  10. Removal of Installation File Remnants after Uninstall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removal of Installation File Remnants after Uninstall: After noticing certain issues with a program after I downloaded and installed it (CyberLink Media Suite 15 Ultra), I decided to uninstall the program and re-install it from the back-up disk. But when I uninstalled the program, the installation folder remained in the Program...