Windows 10: Bug report: GPO has same effect whether disabled or enabled

Discus and support Bug report: GPO has same effect whether disabled or enabled in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; GPO: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows update\Remove access to use all Windows update features When Enabled,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jeremy2008, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Bug report: GPO has same effect whether disabled or enabled

GPO:
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows update\Remove access to use all Windows update features

When Enabled, it creates a registry value:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess = 1

When Disabled, it creates a registry value:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess = 0

When Not Configured, it deletes the registry value:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess = (deleted)

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

When this GPO is "Disabled" and the registry value is "0", we expect the GPO's behavior to NOT be applied. So when Disabled, users should NOT have their Windows Update access removed. This is useful for ensuring that other GPOs up the tree that might be set to Enabled will be overridden by this Disabled GPO.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOR:

When this GPO is set to "Disabled" and the registry value is "0", the behavior still applies and removes access from the users. The "Check For Updates" and "Install Now" buttons are greyed out. I'm using fully updated Server 2016, the latest ADMX files, and fully updated Windows 10 1803.

WORKAROUND:

To fix the issue, I have to change the GPO to "Not Configured", which is an ugly workaround because "Not Configured" is supposed to mean that we are not enforcing any preference, so some computers may have this enabled and other computers may not.

REQUESTED SOLUTION FROM MICROSOFT:

Change Windows to interpret a "0" value in that registry value to be the same as if the value did not exist at all. The only time the registry value should have an effect is if the value is set to "1". (This should be the same behavior for ALL registry values and GPOs, imo)

:)

Jeremy2008, Aug 10, 2018
  2. Odiedavis Win User

Windows Security Screen shutdown/restart with GPO

Running Win 10 Pro as admin and using GPO for standard users to limit shutdown/restart/hibernate option. GPO restriction works everywhere it should but on Windows Security screen where Power Button is still functional. Could this be a bug? Am an experienced
    GPO user. Have already done SFC and dism as well as Disabled/Not Configured and re Enabled GPO option. Any suggestions? Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Odiedavis, Aug 10, 2018
  3. Ziggy32 Win User
    GPO to enable UAC and set to Level 3

First... I am on a domain which is moot. GOP is GPO. If I go in and disable the Windows Firewall via GPO then even as a local administrator, when I go in to Control Panel and Windows Firewall, I cannot turn it back on. It is grey-ed out. That is what a GPO
    is for. To make settings no one can change. Try it.

As a administrator I can change the GPO to re-enable the Windows Firewall but I can no longer go in to Control Panel and change it because the GPO is controlling it.

Ziggy32, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Bug report: GPO has same effect whether disabled or enabled

BitLocker refuses to enable

SarahKong: Inserting a flash drive would help if I could at least get past the error that the GPO isn't set. Step 1 (Enable BitLocker) in the article you specified is where my issue lies ... I can't even turn on BitLocker. Step 3 is where the flash drive
    would come into play, but I can't get past step 1.

Andrea Da Costa: We don't set these GPOs in our domain, and I've tried gpupdate /force and a reboot to no effect.

Matthew Wallace PS, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

Bug report: GPO has same effect whether disabled or enabled

1. Bug report: GPO has same effect whether disabled or enabled - Similar Threads - Bug report GPO

2. Bug Report

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bug Report: Hello i would like to report a bug with windows 11 where there are blank gaps where shopping and games should be in the widgets panels. Another bug ive been encountering is where the widgets sometimes dont update automatically and i have to manually refresh to actually see...
  3. Bug Report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bug Report: Hello i would like to report a bug with windows 11 where there are blank gaps where shopping and games should be in the widgets panels. Another bug ive been encountering is where the widgets sometimes dont update automatically and i have to manually refresh to actually see...
  4. How to Enable or Disable Transparency effects in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Transparency effects in Windows 11: [ATTACH]Transparency has been adding to the appeal of the Windows series of operating systems. If you wish to enable or disable the windows and surface Transparency effects in Windows 11, please read through this article for the procedure. Transparency effects are enabled by...
  5. report a bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    report a bug: bug ? .. regarding windows 10 file explorer. sorry for the grammar .. I am 80 and i have arthritis in my hands so i try to minimize typing. when a new version of my vb.net desktop application is run for the first time it does the following. 1 .. the program deletes any old...
  6. Bug Report

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bug Report: Hello My Self Neeraj From India Here Is A Big Bug On Your Windows 10 Oprating System win10 is not working perfactly in acer aspire E5-573Gin this laptop touchpad not working in windows 10 but its work perfactly in windows 7 here is no any driver issue i was try many of ways...
  7. Reporting bugs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reporting bugs: I am currently running Windows 10 verison 20H2 and I am unable to connect to my mobile hotspot sometimes, it says "Unable to connect to this network, also Settings app freezes when we click on System....
  8. Report a bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Report a bug: Hi all, I already posted before regarding frequent BSOD and unexpected crashing where we found out that the main cause was the RAM. We already replaced the RAM and when I turned on the PC, prior to logging in another BSOD event happened. It was pointing to the following...
  9. Reporting a Bug.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reporting a Bug.: In Activities, Bush trips, Patagonia, Leg 10, landing at Lacuna Redonda. After landing instead of getting a completion check, the program stops and I'm at my desk top. I tried to submit a bug report but the program is not either reading or accepting my E mail address. Can...
  10. Disable/Enable Problem Reporting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disable/Enable Problem Reporting: Where has this gone in the anniversary update? 63902

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows gpo disablewindowsupdateaccess bug