Windows 10: build 10074 start menu interfering with games

Discus and support build 10074 start menu interfering with games in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; this is a clean installing using nvidia 352.64 drivers with nvidia 780 card and intel 3700k with 32gb mem. every time I start a game, the start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by dskiller, Apr 29, 2015.

1. dskiller Win User

build 10074 start menu interfering with games

this is a clean installing using nvidia 352.64 drivers with nvidia 780 card and intel 3700k with 32gb mem.

every time I start a game, the start menu open causing the game to go to the desktop.

I try to get back into the games but the start menu opens again causing the lack of focus on the games.

this is happening with almost every game.

its worse if the games are using lower resolutions then the native one.

only way I can get the problem to go away is to disable the shell experience program and stop it from running. but then notification system dont work along with the start menu.

microsoft did say there was a issue with games running fullscreen and will be issuing a patch. but I dont know if this problem is related to it or not.

:)

dskiller, Apr 29, 2015

2. Window 10 download choice

Something else emerged, so I will use this opportunity to raise it.

The game I work on is European Air War. It was running OK on the previous build. I am now using build 10074, and when I launch the game it gets minimised to the taskbar, and the start menu appears. If I am able to bring up the window the start menu sits
    in front of it.

build 10074 start menu interfering with games [​IMG]

It is impossible to play a lobbied game at GameRanger. However, this was not an issue until I installed 10074.

I tried to report this some time ago as an "Enterprise Insider" but recieved no reponse.

I do not know if this is connected but the "Use the Start menu instead of the Start screen" checkbox does not appear When I view "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" and select the "Start Menu" tab.

Thanks

Hector McDonald, Apr 29, 2015
  3. Calendar days shifted - Windows 10

Ok Shrikar, here it goes:

1. Windows 10 Home Build 10074

2. With a clean start it says something like error in register in a pop-up message box, then when I click on setup right at the menu it does nothing.

Regards

GabrielSuarezVE, Apr 29, 2015
  4. KevinC Win User

Yes that sounds like the known issue. Thanks for reporting and hold on for future update.

Kevin C {MSFT]

KevinC, Apr 29, 2015
  5. swarfega Win User
    I've experienced this today as well, fortunately the game going full screen seemed to have closed the start menu.

swarfega, Apr 29, 2015
  6. Ranzer87 Win User
    Hey just registered as I found a trick for it to work, if you go into tablet mode the start menu won't pop up and take control, then when finished gaming just go back into normal mode, works like a treat

Ranzer87, May 2, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    I thought it was only me. The only game I can get to work is COD MW3..

Gary, May 3, 2015
  8. Saltgrass Win User

On my system, the games seem to run fine. The problem for me is the Desktop environment and doing such outrageous things as clicking on the Start Button. I have gotten Video Driver error messages from clicking on the Notification Icon, and even opening the Command prompt.

Yesterday I got three Blue Screens with the system just sitting on the Desktop. I figured that was enough information for Microsoft to deal with and I went back to 8.1 so I can run my games in peace...

Saltgrass, May 3, 2015
  9. andreyin Win User
    Didn't work here... I get the same error, even when trying to open up Steam.

Also I'm not sure if I'm missing something or tablet mode is just really weird. When I turn it on, all my windows are gone.

edit: btw I'm sure this error has to do with the new Xbox App. If you guys haven't tested it yet, just press Win+G in any game to make a small window appear, and you can record your games from there. It's pretty neat, too bad it broke a lot of things...

andreyin, May 4, 2015
  10. KevinC Win User
    For the full screen issue with games, try today's windows update and reboot. Let me know if that solves the issue with full screen games minimizing, or going into window mode.

KevinC, May 5, 2015
  11. travzz Win User
    FOUND A FIX... well kinda if u use nvidia go on geforce experience, chose the game u want to play and click on the spanner next to revert and choose windowed. that will have to do for now *Biggrin

travzz, May 5, 2015
  12. Uninstalling the ASUS screen saver program fixed the start menu popup issue for me. If your on ASUS try this.

atroposchaos, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. build 10074 start menu interfering with games - Similar Threads - build 10074 start

2. Build 10074 Wallpaper

in Windows 10 Customization
    Build 10074 Wallpaper: Hi Guys Looking to see if anyone can pass on the wallpaper from Build 10074 Gallery: Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10074 Been searching for it, but unfortunately cannot locate it at all. Thanks for your help. 12136
  3. No Start Tile for Spartan Browser Build 10074

in Browsers and Email
    No Start Tile for Spartan Browser Build 10074: There is no tile for Spartan in the Start menu and the All app list shows two blank tiles under the symbol & at the beginning of the list. [img] 5739
  4. IE11 Not working in Build 10074

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 Not working in Build 10074: Hello! I recently updated to build 10074 and IE11 will not launch at all! It is set as my default browser. Spartan (Edge) is working just fine...but I dont want to use it just yet as it doesnt store cookies and autofills logins. (among other reasons) Chrome opens just fine...
  5. Build 10074 Enterprise X-64 - cannot launch apps from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Build 10074 Enterprise X-64 - cannot launch apps from start menu: Hi there Seems the problem with launching Desktop apps from the start menu still isn't fixed yet. (Upgrade from 10061) Cheers jimbo 5717
  6. No apps in Build 10074

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No apps in Build 10074: Hi. Was trying to access Mail in Windows 10. But it's nowhere to be found. The Apps say (empty). What happened? I went to the store. I installed it. But it still says the apps are empty. What can be done? I tried different things, like wsreset. Takes me back to the store....
  7. Build 10074 not working as should

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Build 10074 not working as should: hi guys, my network and/or homegroup no longer work. After searching and trying to fix this (a couple of hours) i gave up, gave feedback to MS and returnde to Build 10061. Hate to do a fresh install, although i have burned the ISO. So i guess i have to wait for a...
  8. Unwanted overlay interfering with Start menu/Taskbar autohide

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted overlay interfering with Start menu/Taskbar autohide: When I open a certain program called Hitfilm Express, a couple of icons appear (microphone and refresh?) which didn't used to be there and there are preventing the Start menu and Taskbar responding whilst I'm using the program. Does anyone recognise the overlay or know how I...
  9. Cant Update to Build 10074

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant Update to Build 10074: I tried updating to the latest build but when my computer restarts and turns back on, it gave me this error. 0xc1900101 - 0x30018 Here's a picture. Imgur 5803
  10. Upgrade to build 10074 fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to build 10074 fails: When I try to upgrade to build 10074 I get a failure message that reads • fbl_impressive Professional 10074 - Error 0xc1900107. I have tried Google and Bing but can't find a fix. Help! 5740