Windows 10: Build 10130 DVD gives "setup.exe not a valid win32 app"

Discus and support Build 10130 DVD gives "setup.exe not a valid win32 app" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have several machines with same hardware albeit v old! The all originally ran XP Pro. I was slowly upgrading them to 7 32 bit when 10 came along. To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sabreur, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Sabreur Win User

Build 10130 DVD gives "setup.exe not a valid win32 app"

I have several machines with same hardware albeit v old! The all originally ran XP Pro. I was slowly upgrading them to 7 32 bit when 10 came along. To save time I tried the 32 bit build route however the machines running XP 32 bit won't run setup.exe on the Build 10130 DVD. I get a " setup.exe is not a valid windows 32 bit application" error whether I start from within Windows or from a cold boot. Machines with 7 32 bit installed and "Get Win 10" icon on task bar will run DVD from within windows or a cold boot.

Weird eh, what's wrong?

:)

Sabreur, Aug 10, 2015

2. HTC PPC6800/ Windows Mobile 6.1

"PPCPimBackup.exe is not a valid Win32 Application" doesn't look like it supports Windows 7 x64.

GioTakahashi, Aug 10, 2015
  3. 888jay Win User
    What would really happen to Windows Media Center users?

Yes, that app has a subset of Media Center's features. No live TV or DVR features however.

888jay, Aug 10, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Don't have a good technical answer but Win10 was/is an upgrade for Win7 SP1 and Win8.1 only. MS didn't set up WIn10 to be an upgrade for either Xp or Vista.. that could be the issue.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 10, 2015
  5. DEcosse Win User
    And similarly, Win7 is not a direct upgrade path from XP either.

Everything I read said you couldn't/shouldn't do this method- but I did & it was successful:
    I did a transition upgrade from XP to Vista, then immediately from Vista to 7.
    All my programs were preserved and everything functioned perfectly for the last year.
    You don't need a license for the Vista as you get 30 days gratis even with the microsoft install media, so don't even attempt to activate that. But you will need a license for the 7 (unless you intend to just buy a license for the 10, in which case you probably don't)

I attempted to then upgrade to 10, however at this point the hardware was not compatible.
    I believe it was most likely the Video Driver as AMD/ATI considered this a legacy device and no further development.
    I could have then just installed a more recent PCI video card - if you have a laptop however, that is not an option.
    (I ultimately went with a new mobo/processor but this process should have worked)

So - if you want to preserve your programs already installed, you will have to go
    XP -> Vista
    Vista -> 7 (license then required)
    7 ->10

If you don't need to preserve all the existing loaded programs, spare yourself the hassle and just clean boot your win 10 and buy license for that.

DEcosse, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Build 10130 DVD gives "setup.exe not a valid win32 app" - Similar Threads - Build 10130 DVD

2. x is not a valid Win32 Application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    x is not a valid Win32 Application: I'd like to understand why Win XP reports something is not a valid Win32 application. Relevance to W10 - the application is built on W10 using VS2017. I thought I had taken appropriate care to not use APIs that aren't available in Win XP. But when it's installed on Win XP...
  3. x is not a valid Win32 Application

in Windows 10 Support
    x is not a valid Win32 Application: I'd like to understand why Win XP reports something is not a valid Win32 application. Relevance to W10 - the application is built on W10 using VS2017. I thought I had taken appropriate care to not use APIs that aren't available in Win XP. But when it's installed on Win XP...
  4. Firefox on build 10130

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox on build 10130: For some reason; the latest build of the tech preview keeps resetting my default browser from firefox to I believe internet explorer or the new one for 10 microsoft edge. Does anyone know why it keeps doing this? This seems to be a bug in the tech preview? 7147
  5. build 10130 product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    build 10130 product key: I installed this version of win 10.... build 10130 and going through the settings I see that it is not activated. Seems it needs a product key.. Does it actually need one? If so, where do i get it? Thanks for all the information. *Wink Now I remember where it came...
  6. WIndows 10 Feedback on build 10130 will not start

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WIndows 10 Feedback on build 10130 will not start: I have build 130 working well, but the windows feedback system wil not start, it just gives me the blank window with the default "To use windows feedback, you must be registered with the Windows insider program..." line. Any suggestions to correct this issue? 6844
  7. Build 10130 killed my sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Build 10130 killed my sound: Immediately after installing 10130, no sound will play on any application through speakers or headphones. Sounds worked fine on 10094. Device Manager says my VIA HD Audio (compatible) is working fine. When I go into Audio properties and try to configure speakers, it says...
  8. Random Crash/Freeze on Build 10130

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Crash/Freeze on Build 10130: Hello everyone. I have been running the Windows 10 preview for the last few months and other than a driver issue here or there, did not experience any real problems. However, with the last update to build 10130, I have been experiencing a random crash/freeze that manifests...
  9. Unable to find build 10130

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to find build 10130: I downloaded and installed Tech Preview 10130, upgrading from 10074. Today I had to revert back to 10130 because of an issue with iTunes. I solved the issue and now I want to re-upgrade to 10130 again. When I go into Windows Updates though, it tells me that there are no...
  10. W10 Build 10130 installation error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Build 10130 installation error.: I've been trying to install 10130 from an ISO and something is getting in my way. For the x64 version : The loading screen with the Windows logo pops up, it dosen't even show the loading circle and then it restarts after some time. For the x32 version : The loading...