Windows 10: Build 10130 Linux Host - UNITY mode works (vmware wks rel 11.1)

Discus and support Build 10130 Linux Host - UNITY mode works (vmware wks rel 11.1) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there FINALLY !!! Unity mode is working with Windows 10 build 10130 and VMware workstation rel 11.1 latest build. Unity means that the VM can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jun 8, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Build 10130 Linux Host - UNITY mode works (vmware wks rel 11.1)

Hi there

FINALLY !!! Unity mode is working with Windows 10 build 10130 and VMware workstation rel 11.1 latest build.

Unity means that the VM can access menus from your HOST desktop without you switching to the VM itself. In a way rather like XPMode - but infinitely better.

Ensure also you update / re-install VMware tools as well.

I haven't tried Unity mode from a Windows HOST but works fine from CENTOS rel 7 (so should work for other common distros such as Ubuntu etc).

The Unity mode working makes running things like OFFICE on a VM simple for users.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 8, 2015
  2. SJDM Win User

How to display different virtual desktops on different monitors

I would suggest the most useful get-around is to run VMware virtual machine and use the power of a wider desktop to run the VMware (or HyperV etc) on the 2nd monitor. You can then run the VMware software in 'unity mode' which allows you to work directly
    in the application window (the one inside the VM); this is better than having to Alt + Tab to the VM environment guest and select the app window you want inside that. It's great, and Windows / VMware is a good solution. (I don't know HyperV which I believe
    has similar functionality). Just make sure you have plenty of memory, as a 64 bit VMware guest VM OS will use similar RAM as a your 'host' machine.

SJDM, Jun 8, 2015
  3. I switched to a local administrator account and enable the developer mode and the Windows feature s list refused to show Linux on Windows subsystem as an option.

<Original title: Linux on Windows>

I just updated my preview build to 14316 and attempted to enable the bash shell, I was unable to do so. I switched to a local administrator account and enable the developer mode and the Windows feature s list refused to show Linux on Windows subsystem
    as an option. The only difference is I am running the preview image in VMware player virtual machine.

CyberVulcan, Jun 8, 2015
  4. pparks1 Win User

I've been contemplating the upgrade from create vmware workstation 10 to 11. My reseller quoted me around $130 for the upgrade. Just not sure I want to drop the cash.

pparks1, Jun 8, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

It's got loads of other goodies in it -- Dynamic Memory management itself is worth it alone. Code is more efficient too -- however as W10 is changing quite rapidly I'd wait until W10 RTM if you want to run Windows VM's or even run VMware WKS itslf on a W10 Host.

I got my upgrade via a corporate licensing deal so it was a no brainer for me.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 8, 2015
  6. pparks1 Win User
    I read about a lot of the Haswell performance improvements. Unfortunately, my laptop is an older model with a core i7-3667u installed, so the haswell performance tweaks won't change anything for me.

pparks1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Build 10130 Linux Host - UNITY mode works (vmware wks rel 11.1) - Similar Threads - Build 10130 Linux

2. VMWare WKS / Player - what currently works on Linux Hosts

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare WKS / Player - what currently works on Linux Hosts: Hi folks what Linux Host distros are anybody using where current versions of VMWare WKS / Player really work . Please specify distro and kernel (simply from the linux console type uname -r -- you don't need sudo or su) . I've tried a few with kernel 5.9.xx and BIG fail !!...
  3. Vmware WKS 15.5 Exclusive mode working perfectly now

Vmware WKS 15.5 Exclusive mode working perfectly now: Hi folks I've had problems in the past with VMWare WKS to get "Exclusive mode" to work properly -- this is where you get total full screen - no menu bar or method to minimize the screen or switch to the host -- you can leave it of course by simply pressing ctrl+alt. Some...
  4. VMWARE WKS rel 15 really efficient

VMWARE WKS rel 15 really efficient: Hi Folks On a desktop running W10 (Hundur in diagram) I'm running easily concurrently 2 Linux Virtual servers marked SAMBA server … - one serving Music, the other videos, TV, Movies etc, one XP VM, and 2 W10 X-64 VM's. [img] response time is fine on all of them VMWare...
  5. VMware users WKS 14.1.3 build now out

VMware users WKS 14.1.3 build now out: Hi folks VMware users build 14.1.3 is available both for Linux and Windows Hosts - Free upgrade. Appropriate upgrade for users of the free VMware player as well. From VMware menu --help --check for upgrades should get you to download / install. I use both VMWARE...
  6. W10 in Unity mode doesn't work properly (vmware)

W10 in Unity mode doesn't work properly (vmware): Hi there Build 9879 doesn't work properly in Unity mode ---(VMware workstation 10.0.4 and 11.0) Not a mega issue but Unity mode is great if you want to concurrently test things without flipping back into the VM's full screen mode. Part of the windows desktop (in...
  7. vmware wks 11 / vmplayer 7 No 3d available from Host

vmware wks 11 / vmplayer 7 No 3d available from Host: running W10 as a GUEST on VMware WKS 11 / vmplayer 7 message is no 3d support from Host. However the VM seems to work perfectly and I'm not getting as far as I can see any degradation on graphics --play an old game like spider solitaire - if the card movements are jerky then...
  8. Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host

Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host: Hi there. While we are on a Windows Forum I know some people run Linux here - so if you find that Workstation or Player (VMWARE) 11 / 7 doesn't work properly on a LINUX HOST (I've still got problems with Unity and random freezes running Windows 8.1 and 10 guests) then to...
  9. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  10. Note VMPLAYER R7 and WKS Rel 11 need 64 Bit HOST OS'es

Note VMPLAYER R7 and WKS Rel 11 need 64 Bit HOST OS'es: Hi there Just a note to people thinking of upgrading to vmplayer rel 7o r Workstation 11. These require the HOST OS to be 64 bit - whether the host is WINDOWS or LINUX. The older releases - player rel 6 and Workstation 10 can still run on 32 bit machines. Some of you...