Windows 10: Build 10162 - Cannot eject USB drives problem re-appeared

Discus and support Build 10162 - Cannot eject USB drives problem re-appeared in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there I thought this problem had been fixed -- apparently not. Can't eject USB drives - also can't find out what process is using it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Jul 3, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Build 10162 - Cannot eject USB drives problem re-appeared

Hi there

I thought this problem had been fixed -- apparently not.

Can't eject USB drives - also can't find out what process is using it.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 3, 2015
  2. JJCDennis Win User

SD Card Problems - Creating Second Drive

This morning I inserted a USB flash drive (32gb Adata), which Windows discovered and labelled D:. I formatted it to fat32 with SDformatter V4.0. This was successful. I then wrote an image to the USB using Win32diskimager, which completed the task. When completed
    Windows created a second drive called a USB Drive (I). I tried to eject the USB drive shown as D:. Windows did not acknowledge that the drive was ejected and still shows it in "This PC". This same thing happens when I eject the I: drive. Opening "Safely remove
    hardware and eject media" in system tray does not show D: as present, but it is still shown in "This PC".

When I remove the USB and reinsert in a different USB slot it shows with the name I have given it, but as "Fat", with nothing on it. Ejecting D: appears to work, but D: still shows in This PC. Ejecting I: has no effect. I: does not show in "Safely remove
    hardware and eject media" in system tray.

I took this USB to a different Windows 10 PC and it opens properly and can be formatted/written to without a problem.

So my problem continues and I haven't been able to solve it. Still looking for some help.

Thanks

JJCDennis, Jul 3, 2015
  3. CF1234 Win User
    I Am Unable to Safely Remove My USB External Hard Drive

Hi,

More often than not (around 19/20) when I try to safely remove my external USB hard drive, I am unable to do so.

In order to safely remove it I:

1. click on the up arrow in the bottom right of the screen to show hidden icons.

2. click on Eject Expansion Desk.

3. then a popup appears saying there is a problem ejecting the hard drive. (See image attached).

Build 10162 - Cannot eject USB drives problem re-appeared [​IMG]

So, how can I safely remove my external USB hard drive? It is plugged into my laptop, and my laptop is no longer portable as I cannot move it as the hard drive is connected, and cannot be safely ejected.

Also, when I go to File Explorer and right click on the hard drive, there is no option to Eject. So, this is not an alternative option to safely remove it.

My laptop is using Windows 10.

Thanks for your help.

CF1234, Jul 3, 2015
  4. Jackalito Win User

I can't reproduce it on my end. This is after a clean install of the OS.
    Can you give us more details about your system and USB drives?

Jackalito, Jul 3, 2015
  5. Dude Win User
    Did you by some chance mount and ISO to copy to the USB. If so, unmounting ejecting where it shows as a dvd will allow the USB to eject

Dude, Jul 3, 2015
  6. Geneo Win User
    I am no longer having this problem. It went away with 10158 and it still works with 10162, fingers crossed.
    I did updates from 10130 to 10158 to 10162.

Good luck.

Geneo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Build 10162 - Cannot eject USB drives problem re-appeared - Similar Threads - Build 10162 Cannot

2. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  3. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  4. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Ejecting usb drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ejecting usb drive: After updating to Windows 10 version 2004, when trying to eject an external usb drive, I continuously receive the error message that the drive is in use and to wait and try again later. No matter how long I wait, this message recurs when nothing I can see is using the drive....
  6. usb thumb drive ejection problem.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb thumb drive ejection problem.: Just two or three days ago I started having a problem when I try to eject a Sandisk 32GB usb thumb and get the nasty li'l "device is currently in use" window. I've been using this thumb for over a year now with no problems. I haven't made any changes to the computer or to...
  7. Cannot eject a USB.

Cannot eject a USB.: The "Safely Eject Hardware and Media" will not pop up on my Windows 10 laptop. I tried to open it a different way, but then it said it couldn't eject the USB. The USB has been read by the laptop. Any help on how to fix this?...
  8. Cannot eject safely an external USB drive

Cannot eject safely an external USB drive: Hello, Recently I bought one "WD Elements" 1TB external drive for data storage. When attachet it to the pc, it was found by the file explorer, it is already NTFS formated, one whole partition. On it found "WD Smartware pro trial" installer and an 'autorun.inf' file....
  9. Cannot eject safely usb external drive

Cannot eject safely usb external drive: Hello, The problem of beeing unable to eject the usb drive safely still exists, the only way I found (temporarily) is to disable it in the device manager, but then the change asks to restart the computer, if I do not restart, the drive is unabled. It seems I will have to...
  10. build 10162

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    build 10162: Where can I get this build from? I am on the fast ring; and i checked wu; but the update is not there for some reason. So where can i get it from(where its a official release?) 7802